Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2012, 02:11 PM   #1

thoughts on Novoflex Pentax Q adapters?

New to Q, used to have Optio P&S cameras before moving to m43 and NEX-7.

I'm considering buying a Minolta AF (for my Sony alpha lenses) adapter for my new Q and I'm wondering if it's worth the ~$300 it'll cost. Particularly do they come with apertures or aperture controls for lenses without manual aperture control?

It would be a hoot to use my Sony 70-400mm lens with my Q's 5.5 crop factor...(maybe I'll actually use a tripod for once. But even the Rokinon 85mm f/1.8 I have on the way would be a good telephoto lens for this camera.

FYI I'm having a blast with the 8.5mm prime and I really bought the camera just to use with the Sonnetar lens (I'm a low-light junkie!) Tricky to use manual lens but I like the challenge. Just wish I had anti-shake with that lens. :^|

But my Voigtlander Nokton 35mm "classic" would be fun on this body too.

08-07-2012, 06:12 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think the adapter comes with any sort of automation- but anything that let's you use bigger lenses should get the job done!
08-07-2012, 08:26 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
IMHO, they are too expensive.

Why don't you just find some cheaper Ebay ones?

I'd expect the original Pentax ones to be in this type of price range (with a built in shutter)
08-07-2012, 08:46 AM   #4

Original Poster
From the BH Photo live chat:

QuoteQuote:
You have been connected to Christina S.
Chris K : I am wondering if the Novoflex Minolta AF to Pentax Q adapter (BH # NOPENTQMINAF ) has an aperture in the adapter. (I'm confused by the statement, "...automatic exposure metering (stop-down metering/aperture priority) is possible".)
Christina S: Hello Chris Knight. My name is Christina, and I will be glad to assist you. Please give me a few moments to begin working on your inquiry.
Chris K: or wondering if there are electrical contacts so that the Q can drive the aperture in the lens (would like to use Sony Alpha lenses with this adapter)
Christina S: It doesn't have an aperture in the adapter. It does allow you to control the aperture of lenses which don't have aperture rings, though. It wouldn't be automatic though, it would be through the ring on the outside of the adapter.
Christina S: The wording in the Overview is a bit awkward, but what it is trying to get at is that automatic metering would still work
Chris K: of course
Chris K: but the ring on the adapter would drive a mechanical aperture connection (I don't believe Sony lenses have a mechanical aperture connection)
Christina S: The ring on the outside of the adapter should allow you to control the aperture from the Sony lenses. Their lenses should have the same internal aperture design as the Minolta lenses without aperture rings (as both work on the same cameras). Though, let me double check to see if Novoflex mentions Sony lenses specifically on their site.
Chris K: k
Chris K: (wish I had brought my Sony lenses with me today to work so I can check, I assumed they didn't have a mechanical aperture connection but I have been wrong before.
Christina S: According to Novoflex the ring on the outside of their adapters will control the apertures of Sony's lenses.
Chris K: ok thanks for the info!

08-07-2012, 08:53 AM   #5

Original Poster
...but I think I'll try the $23 Fotodiox adapter first. (I've had mixed experiences with Fotodiox adapters, but at least they give me a chance to try things out and if it works ok I'll spring for a higher-quality adapter.)
08-10-2012, 07:34 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I bought the RJ adapter from Jinfinance in eBay and they are good enough to use.
08-10-2012, 07:46 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just ordered RJ adaptor, eager to try with sigma 300 2.8......
08-12-2012, 10:25 AM   #8

Original Poster
You get what you pay for, from my amazon review:

The adapter, like a lot of Fotodiox adapters, is a bit loose and the Sony-mount lens jiggles a tiny bit. But for the price it works ok.

Also note that the aperture control pin might need to be adjusted or it might cause damage to your lens. I attached mine to a Rokinon Sony-mount lens (purely manual lens, no in-camera aperture control.) The aperture control pin gouged into the lens, luckily it's just cosmetic. In order to prevent the adapter from damaging my more expensive Sony lenses I took the adapter apart (requires a good set of jeweler's screwdrivers) and adjusted the aperture control pin. Now works great with my 70-300mm lens and controls the aperture just fine and doesn't cause issue with the Rokinon lens.

Also note that if you use the adapter's tripod mount the screw may interfere with the aperture control ring. (Which I see as a benefit as the ring is not dampened and is very easy to turn.)