Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2012, 07:11 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bmonki Quote
Well if it's going to be in america than it needs to either have sex or degrade someone/something, so I would go with both. I would hire midgets to promote the damn thing by passing out fliers with the Q placed in between some cleavage or biceps and attached to that flier is a coupon for like 50 cent off some doritos or something, perfect american marketing...
Gee, if I didn't know better I'd say you couldn't post without degrading something...

08-18-2012, 08:04 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bmonki Quote
Well if it's going to be in america than it needs to either have sex or degrade someone/something, so I would go with both. I would hire midgets to promote the damn thing by passing out fliers with the Q placed in between some cleavage or biceps and attached to that flier is a coupon for like 50 cent off some doritos or something, perfect american marketing...
Wow!
They really should hire you.
It will certainly catch attention.

IMHO, mentioning it as any sort of DSLR is a no-no.
Thats what sunk it in the first place.
08-18-2012, 08:18 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Actually, pinholecam, your post in this thread
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/194622-k5-replacement-4.html#post2052306
is what got me to reexamine my perceptions regarding the Pentax Q ( along with your excellent review thread)
08-21-2012, 06:08 PM   #19

Tag lines don't really sell a product. sure, they are clever and can sum up your message, but what Pentax really needs to do is simply ADVERTISE.

Yes, learn from Apple, learn from MINI.

Push the fun. Push a complimentary lifestyle. Make it aspirational. Emotional. Hell, have your users create them for you, but do something.

08-22-2012, 02:06 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emergo Quote
Tag lines don't really sell a product. sure, they are clever and can sum up your message, but what Pentax really needs to do is simply ADVERTISE.

Yes, learn from Apple, learn from MINI.

Push the fun. Push a complimentary lifestyle. Make it aspirational. Emotional. Hell, have your users create them for you, but do something.
That's why I say grab De Lancie and Nimoy and GO for it. Who doesn't relate to them? Know who Spock and "Q" are? Well, maybe someone in a never explored part of a rainforest who's never even seen a TV, but THINK about it. Two Star Trek's biggest and most beloved icons, both of whom can be drop dead funny, a "Q" camera. Oh man the possibilities absolutely boggle the mind. Can you imagine the publicity even one funny little "Q" commercial would get? They'd be all over the place, an internet sensation in a minute flat. Everybody would be talking about the Q and it would be instantly cool, the epitome of sci-fi geek chic. I mean come on, we're talking SPOCK and Q (probably insulting each other) and a very quirky little camera. Perfect. Absolutely perfect!!! LOL

Lest you think I have lost my mind here's a sample or two from Spock vs Q. Have a listen and tell me it wouldn't be a GAS!!!! There's this one and a sequel and they are both just absolutely hilarious. Even if your not into Trek. I highly recommend these. These CD's are a great way to while away a rainy afternoon.

Last edited by magkelly; 08-22-2012 at 02:39 AM.
08-22-2012, 06:34 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Pentax missed the boat, but the whole thing was apparently a high priority Secret, so we can give them a pass. . .

At the Olympics Opening Ceremony, the scene starts at the Secret Service HQ. . . "Q" equips James Bond with a Q to record his next mission. . .the delivery of the Queen via parachute from a helicopter to the Games. It gets seen by about a billion people and gets a couple of million rerun hits on YouTube and a bunch of people get curious about this little Bond Cam

Product placement gets their attention, then they get it in their hands and find it actually feels and works like a real camera. . . write it up.

Scott
08-22-2012, 07:23 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Who exactly did Pentax make the Q for?

It's unforunately stuck in a no-mans land of photography.

It's very small, and fits with small point-and-shoots for size, but when you also take the lenses into account it becomes a little cumbersome (P&S with a lens that does wide angle through zoom, and folds into the body..... vs... 2-3 different lenses that need to be stored when not in use.)

While I like the Q, and think it's a great looking camera, I can't imagine any situation where I'd want one.

If I want to carry stuff around, I'll bring the SLR.
If I want small and easy, I don't want to also carry little lenses and be worried about dropping them.

To me the idea of a small camera is that you can have it on hand, and ready. In a small case, in your pocket/bag, and quickly pull it out, get a shot, put it away.
I personally see interchangable lenses as being unable to accomplish this.
08-22-2012, 07:43 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote

It's very small, and fits with small point-and-shoots for size, but when you also take the lenses into account it becomes a little cumbersome (P&S with a lens that does wide angle through zoom, and folds into the body..... vs... 2-3 different lenses that need to be stored when not in use.)

While I like the Q, and think it's a great looking camera, I can't imagine any situation where I'd want one.

If I want to carry stuff around, I'll bring the SLR.
If I want small and easy, I don't want to also carry little lenses and be worried about dropping them.

To me the idea of a small camera is that you can have it on hand, and ready. In a small case, in your pocket/bag, and quickly pull it out, get a shot, put it away.
I personally see interchangable lenses as being unable to accomplish this.

Don't be too quick to judge.
The Q can easily go where no DSLR can get to (certainly with less pain, encumbrance and expense) :
(in case you missed my very long winded review)

Long tele 1100mm equivalent with f4 light gathering ability (FA*200 @f4)

A DSLR with the same lens will be left with a environmental shot rather than a portrait. Cropping will just leave the photographer with a 2-4mb file that can't take much PP and can't print very big.

Macro better than 1:1

A DSLR would have been a major pain to setup (extension tubes; close up filters; reversed lenses, etc) , with limited working distance, very near focusing distance to achieve similar FOV or crop like crazy (and poorer o/p after crop)

In practice, the Q fits takes up little space, even with a lens or two.

08-22-2012, 08:02 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I have no doubt that it's a very versatile camera.

But is that necessarily what the intended market wants?

It can certainly go where an SLR can't, but my point is that a person looking for a small camera probably doesn't have an SLR on their mind at all, they'll be looking at other small cameras.

Say we compare a Q with an Optio VS20
Both are about the same size.

The VS20 has a lens that folds up, and does 28mm-560mm at F3.1 to 4.8 (equivalent)
The Q would need probably 2 lenses, plus a Q-K adapter, and a Kmount lens to have the same equivalent focal ranges.

Instantly the Q has become the much bulkier option.

Then if we look at price, the Q here has an RRP of $600, the VS20 an RRP of about $200
The Q is already 3x the price, and that's without including anything but the kit lens.

I must admit, I've seen images taken with the Q (From your review actually) and it does take a very nice image. I have not seem images from the Optio, so cannot comment on if it is a possible competitor for the Q.

While I love the Q, and think it's a brilliant little thing, I can't really see where it stands in the great camera market.
It's not up there with a full SLR, but it's not down with the Point and Shoots. It's in the middle, and I wonder how many buyers are also in the middle?
08-22-2012, 08:53 PM   #25
Pentaxian

It can certainly go where an SLR can't, but my point is that a person looking for a small camera probably doesn't have an SLR on their mind at all, they'll be looking at other small cameras.

The VS20 has a lens that folds up, and does 28mm-560mm at F3.1 to 4.8 (equivalent)
The Q would need probably 2 lenses, plus a Q-K adapter, and a Kmount lens to have the same equivalent focal ranges.

Then if we look at price, the Q here has an RRP of $600, the VS20 an RRP of about $200
The Q is already 3x the price, and that's without including anything but the kit lens.

I must admit, I've seen images taken with the Q (From your review actually) and it does take a very nice image. I have not seem images from the Optio, so cannot comment on if it is a possible competitor for the Q.

While I love the Q, and think it's a brilliant little thing, I can't really see where it stands in the great camera market.
It's not up there with a full SLR, but it's not down with the Point and Shoots. It's in the middle, and I wonder how many buyers are also in the middle?

I get what you mean, esp, with respect to the view from laymen or non-pentax users.
They'd usually pickup a Canon, Oly XZ1, Panny LX5 for a myriad of reasons (ie. brand; advertisement; price; amount of 'zoom'; etc)

Its not that the Q can't rise above them, but it just had non-existent marketing;
To sell it to the laymen as a "Hey! its trendy, pricey and not all your friends have it" kind of camera for the young and trendy.
To sell to the enthusiast as a "Street photography; experimental/fun; backup; Telephoto/macro camera"

Actually, the Q was conceptualized for the macro and telephoto options.
These features were presented with adapter and sample photos in exhibitions in Japan (unfortunately, they did not do this elsewhere and shuffled their feet with the OEM adapter)
How I see it, is that its not an Either/Or argument.
Its a nice complement to the enthusiast.
08-23-2012, 05:55 AM   #26
Banned

I have the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 with 24-480mm equivalent OIS zoom that is the smallest compact 20x superzoom and has 1080p60 along with GPS but my Q works with all my lenses including fast C-mount lenses and scopes so it's more versatile.

08-23-2012, 08:40 PM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter

Don't pigeon hole the Q! It is way ahead of it's time. It straddles many photo camps. It is small enough to play with P&S cameras. It has "big camera" controls and features like Raw. With an adapter It can use any lens from any camera. It turns into a macro/tele monster and shoots with the DSLRs ( sometimes pulling off shots they can't).

I have thought about the Q since the day it came out trying to explain why it is so special. Think I finally nailed it. It is the Swiss Army Knife of photography. No other camera allows a photographer to do so many different things so well. It may not be the best in any of the categories but it is always close.

How would I market it? Single picture showing Q with prime or 02 zoom on left, a Q with all Q lenses in middle, and Q on 300mm or bigger tele lens, red dot scope, lcd hood, etc on right. Headline at the top of page is "the Iphone of photography"
thanks
barondla
Enjoying my Q
08-25-2012, 06:53 AM   #28
Site Supporter

Original Poster
They made it for people who want the FUN of photography to be available, on their person, 24/7. Beyond that it doesn't matter who they designed it for... It is who it resonates with. You sound just like me a couple of weeks ago, who couldn't get past the small sensor and "Quteness" to take it seriously. Then I learned more about both the sensor (Sony Exmor-R) advantages and the advantages of a smaller sensor in general (when you put 35mm lenses on it) which are increased DOF (especially helpful with macro) and super-telephoto with the lenses I already own).

In any event, great products are used in ways far beyond those originally envisioned by the inventor/manufacturer/marketing team so it really doesn't matter who, exactly, they made it for.

I think Pentax screwed up by not making a Pentax quality converter K part of the marketing plan... Unless they really originally planned to bring the Q price down to these levels, and having an installed base, before introducing it.

I'd call that a market space with zero competition and a technological achievement that no one else has accomplished (two things that could be hammered into a marketing message also - to get back on topic).

I saw a great quote at the end of an owner's post on DP Review
QuoteQuote:
"And finally; faces I use when I take photos:
Canon S90 = hope I don't drop it cringe,
Sony NEX5 = angry cross face when using menu,
Q = big silly smile.

Last edited by cheekygeek; 08-25-2012 at 07:21 AM.
06-04-2013, 08:05 PM   #29

The most versatile camera that you'll always have with you: Pentax Q
This ad would feature pictures of the Q in many setups such as for street photography, wildlife photography, astrophotography, and even videography.

Q(ueen) of mirrorless cameras: Pentax Q
This ad would feature other cameras bowing down or standing at attention as the Q slides past

The Q(ueen) to your K(ing): Pentax Q and Pentax Q-K adapter
This ad would feature the Q with a Q-K adapter and a K-mount camera with the different lenses being attached and settings applied before capturing the perfect shot.

Checkmate: Pentax Q
This would feature a picture of a large chessboard with only a king (other brand or K-01?), a Q and the lenses (rooks, knights, bishops, or pawns), needed for the checkmate.
06-04-2013, 08:34 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

First, you make a solid body camera with an exceptionally "sexy" appearance. The you market it like this....
FUJIFILM X20 | Fujifilm Global

If the Q had a body like the X10/20...maybe a polished brass top and bottom plate with all finely machined knobs/dials, it would get more immediate attention? I am always impressed with what I see produced by the Q, and think it is underrated from its true abilities, but marketing is what sells cameras...or most anything else.

Regards!