Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2012, 12:37 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How would YOU market the Pentax Q?

A post I just made in another thread, made me realize that we could collectively do a much better job than (whoever Pentax is using) for marketing the Pentax Q.

I consider the Pentax Q to be the best camera (technology-wise and pure-fun/joy-wise) with the worst marketing ("look, it's tiny!") in the history of civilization. Example from Twitter:

I have to admit that I was initially dismissive of the Q (thinking: small sensor... has to be crap/gimmick) and that's all a lot of reviewers seem to get also. But this past week I found some reviewers who knew what they were talking about (including one very entertaining Aussie), and I read a lot of joyous OWNER reviews (owners who paid more money than the Q and accessories is going for now) and I learned how the Q can extend what this K-5 owner can do photographically and creatively. Mine will be here on Monday.

I figure a lot of you Q owners probably know a lot more about this than what I just discovered.

So let's do a little crowd-sourcing in this thread.
How would YOU market the Q?
What catchy tagline would you use to appeal to different market segments?
What features do you think are over-looked?

PS: Where in the heck is the Pentax Q adapter K that was shown at CPP++ ? (see Verge for images)

PENTAX Q: Is it
The Biggest LITTLE DSLR in the World
or is it
The Littlest BIG DSLR in the World?

Last edited by cheekygeek; 08-17-2012 at 01:05 PM.
08-17-2012, 12:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
With cute asian girl ads

Basically the opposite of Ashton Kutcher.
08-17-2012, 02:32 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
With cute asian girl ads

Basically the opposite of Ashton Kutcher.
OK. That's probably the best answer we'll get in this thread, but let's keep trying.
08-17-2012, 02:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I've said it before: Pentax needs to learn marketing from Apple [And, needs to get the Q to be sold in Apple-stores -- it is a perfect companion to an iPad ]

Anyways, somebody somewhere on this forum said:

The best camera is the one you [always] have with you.

With a suitable second line:

Introducing Pentax Q:
in your pocket, in your purse, in your briefcase - everywhere in your life

Add a stunning, yet simple/clean, background photo, on which the Q is superimposed with some object for size-reference, and an URL.

08-17-2012, 04:09 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Amongst the enthusiast compacts rather than comparisions with m4/3 and other MILCs.
08-17-2012, 04:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cheekygeek Quote
But this past week I found some reviewers who knew what they were talking about (including one very entertaining Aussie)
Blunty, was it?
But yes. Over here I never even see Pentax ads and very rarely see them on store fronts. You can see Pentax in a lot of magazines now, which are great ads, but the problem with ads in photography magazines is.. that their readers usually already have a camera or are loyal to some brand. Pentax needs some classical ads, like Nikon is doing. You can see Nikon on television, billboards, all sorts of flyers.. Canon not as much, but still more than Pentax. Hell, even Sony has more ads. Thats the only way to get new people to join the brand.
08-17-2012, 04:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

A post I just made in another thread, made me realize that we could collectively do a much better job than (whoever Pentax is using) for marketing the Pentax Q.

I consider the Pentax Q to be the best camera (technology-wise and pure-fun/joy-wise) with the worst marketing ("look, it's tiny!") in the history of civilization. Example from Twitter:

I have to admit that I was initially dismissive of the Q (thinking: small sensor... has to be crap/gimmick) and that's all a lot of reviewers seem to get also. But this past week I found some reviewers who knew what they were talking about (including one very entertaining Aussie), and I read a lot of joyous OWNER reviews (owners who paid more money than the Q and accessories is going for now) and I learned how the Q can extend what this K-5 owner can do photographically and creatively. Mine will be here on Monday.

I figure a lot of you Q owners probably know a lot more about this than what I just discovered.

So let's do a little crowd-sourcing in this thread.
How would YOU market the Q?
What catchy tagline would you use to appeal to different market segments?
What features do you think are over-looked?

PS: Where in the heck is the Pentax Q adapter K that was shown at CPP++ ? (see Verge for images)

PENTAX Q: Is it
The Biggest LITTLE DSLR in the World
or is it
The Littlest BIG DSLR in the World?
That's a cool tagline, definitely...but you do realize the Q isn't a big nor little DSLR because it isn't a DSLR at all? Just saying

08-17-2012, 05:17 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
That's a cool tagline, definitely...but you do realize the Q isn't a big nor little DSLR because it isn't a DSLR at all? Just saying
Errrrm. Yes. Of course. Just making sure someone was paying attention.
08-17-2012, 05:20 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
I've said it before: Pentax needs to learn marketing from Apple [And, needs to get the Q to be sold in Apple-stores -- it is a perfect companion to an iPad ]

Anyways, somebody somewhere on this forum said:

The best camera is the one you [always] have with you.

With a suitable second line:

Introducing Pentax Q:
in your pocket, in your purse, in your briefcase - everywhere in your life

Add a stunning, yet simple/clean, background photo, on which the Q is superimposed with some object for size-reference, and an URL.
That is good. Very Good! MAGNITUDES better than "look! It's teensy! Buy it because it is adorable" ( which it also is, but you don't spend 5 years developing and waiting for the perfect sensor and then sell it only on THAT.)
08-17-2012, 05:29 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Blunty, was it? .
As a matter of fact....

You could take clips of him talking about how "this camera tapped into something PRIMAL in my brain" and use that in a video collage of people going gaga over it. His Aussie accent would play well in the U.S. that's for sure!

08-17-2012, 05:49 PM   #11

First, I would create a new wording for this type of camera:

DSLR = Digital Single Reflex Lens
EVIL = Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens
LIVIL = LIve (pre)View Interchangeable Lens

Then I would use a taglines like:

* Our LIVILs arnīt (that) EVIL. [pun! plural to include the K-01]
* Worldīs smallest LIVIL that feels like a big DSLR.
* So small and so big. Pentax Q.
* When the K(ing) stays at home, take the Q(ueen). Pentax Q. [Intended for Pentaxians with a K-Mount cam at home ]
* Anytime. Anywhere. Pentax Q.
* No camera, no picture. Pentax Q.
* Every Agent needs a Q. Pentax Q.
* Her name is Q, Pentax Q.

:-)
08-17-2012, 06:40 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kdre Quote
First, I would create a new wording for this type of camera:

DSLR = Digital Single Reflex Lens
EVIL = Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens
LIVIL = LIve (pre)View Interchangeable Lens

Then I would use a taglines like:

* Our LIVILs arnīt (that) EVIL. [pun! plural to include the K-01]
* Worldīs smallest LIVIL that feels like a big DSLR.
* So small and so big. Pentax Q.
* When the K(ing) stays at home, take the Q(ueen). Pentax Q. [Intended for Pentaxians with a K-Mount cam at home ]
* Anytime. Anywhere. Pentax Q.
* No camera, no picture. Pentax Q.
* Every Agent needs a Q. Pentax Q.
* Her name is Q, Pentax Q.

:-)
Too complicated.

Cute Japanese girls with cute purses and the Q is a great idea.

Or, a tie in with the next Bond film....Q.......
08-17-2012, 08:45 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would hire John De Lancie to make superior Q jokes, preferably in the company of Leonard Nimoy. (Spock vs Q was hilarious!) I think they should play up the Q-ness of the camera by making a comedic series out of it. You put the two of them and that camera in a series of sly commercials and it would sell like hotcakes.
08-18-2012, 01:20 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Well if it's going to be in america than it needs to either have sex or degrade someone/something, so I would go with both. I would hire midgets to promote the damn thing by passing out fliers with the Q placed in between some cleavage or biceps and attached to that flier is a coupon for like 50 cent off some doritos or something, perfect american marketing...
08-18-2012, 02:58 AM   #15
Veteran Member

That is good. Very Good! MAGNITUDES better than "look! It's teensy! Buy it because it is adorable" ( which it also is, but you don't spend 5 years developing and waiting for the perfect sensor and then sell it only on THAT.)
Thanks.

Maybe I *should* quit my day-job, then