Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Broken Q?!

Brought my Q to a festival. Very small and nice! Got many keepers.

01 prime worked perfectly
Fisheye worked perfectly
Takumar 55 1,8 worked like crap

Used the takumar with an ebay adapter and the results are pretty frustrating... The first images are with the takumar, what is the problem? The last image is with the 01 prime just to prove that the camera actually works. ^^

Those pictures are only imported in lightroom and exported, yea and crop.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
08-19-2012, 11:34 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I would suspect a light leak in the adapter.
08-19-2012, 11:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
I would suspect a light leak in the adapter.
Light leak causing the stripe on the first picture?
08-19-2012, 12:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Very much doubt its a light leak, its banding of the sensor, quite normal to see at high iso but not this much.
If it's just a single event then so be it or else a lane might be bad,

08-19-2012, 12:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Very much doubt its a light leak, its banding of the sensor, quite normal to see at high iso but not this much.
If it's just a single event then so be it or else a lane might be bad,
It doesn't happen with the 01 prime or fisheye. :l Only with the Takumar so far (probably all lenses used with adapter).

Under normal lighing I haven't seen any strange stripes or whatever with any lens. This must have a reason!

The purple stripes can not be banding?

I think it has something to do with the shutter/sensor.
08-19-2012, 02:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Banding you will only see with high ISO

And why can the purple not be banding, it most likely are the blue pixels that cause the problem.

About the shutter, with the 01 it uses the leaf shutter in the lens but with the fish-eye not i believe and with adapter it uses electronic shutter as well. It could be indeed that it interfere, try it out i would say,
08-19-2012, 02:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fikkser Quote
The last image is with the 01 prime just to prove that the camera actually works. ^^
oh god...
08-19-2012, 02:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Banding you will only see with high ISO

And why can the purple not be banding, it most likely are the blue pixels that cause the problem.

About the shutter, with the 01 it uses the leaf shutter in the lens but with the fish-eye not i believe and with adapter it uses electronic shutter as well. It could be indeed that it interfere, try it out i would say,
Looked at pictures taken with fisheye and takumar from the same stage, maybe not with the exact same lighting, but the fisheye has no problem.

I don't think it can be banding, it doesn't look like that. Ever tried a k10?

It prolly has to do with the electronic shutter, but why? Should have posted this in trouble shooting.

08-19-2012, 03:02 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fikkser Quote
Light leak causing the stripe on the first picture?
Well there is a different leak with the last image
08-19-2012, 03:39 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well there is a different leak with the last image
ofc! ^^
08-19-2012, 03:51 PM   #11
Pentaxian

it's not the Q if the 01 and 03 works flawlessly but the adapter/Tak combo...something doesn't fit properly causing the leak.

Check the fit with a flashlight thru the lens+adapter wide open in a darkened room or visually inspect the fit.
08-19-2012, 09:02 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Can't see your image because I am doing this on a Kindle( computer is down at the moment). I have had a problem similar to what you are describing with adapted lenses. Mine was caused by the combination of adapted lenses, the electronic shutter, and flourescent lighting. This causes banding way more extreme than high iso banding. In theory the fisheye should also suffer this problem since it relies on the electronic shutter, but I have not tried it. Also the electrical contacts may "stabilize" the system in some way that the lens adapter can't. It also may be affected by the firmware updates to camera and lens. Aim the lenses at flourescent lights and see what happens. LED lights may also cause problems- haven't tried that. Good luck.
thanks
barondla
08-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I get banding with fluorescent lighting with my sonnetar, it's pretty annoying... It happens high ISO or low ISO dont matter, certain lighting causes banding with my sonnetar, it's weird...

08-20-2012, 12:57 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Can't see your image because I am doing this on a Kindle( computer is down at the moment). I have had a problem similar to what you are describing with adapted lenses. Mine was caused by the combination of adapted lenses, the electronic shutter, and flourescent lighting. This causes banding way more extreme than high iso banding. In theory the fisheye should also suffer this problem since it relies on the electronic shutter, but I have not tried it. Also the electrical contacts may "stabilize" the system in some way that the lens adapter can't. It also may be affected by the firmware updates to camera and lens. Aim the lenses at flourescent lights and see what happens. LED lights may also cause problems- haven't tried that. Good luck.
thanks
barondla
Oh, so I'm not alone. Let's hope they can fix this with firmware then.

QuoteOriginally posted by bmonki Quote
I get banding with fluorescent lighting with my sonnetar, it's pretty annoying... It happens high ISO or low ISO dont matter, certain lighting causes banding with my sonnetar, it's weird...

Very strange. I might call the Pentax service center.
08-20-2012, 01:18 AM   #15
Pentaxian

So another reason to wait for the Pentax adapter that will have a leaf shutter built in?

Wim