Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2012, 09:32 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The next Q sensor?

Who knows if there will ever be a next Q, but a lot of people have speculated (secretly wished) they might make the sensor bigger in the Q's successor. That could happen. Or it could be that these tiny sensors are going to get much more interesting as time goes on.

Sony uses clear pixels to offer low-light performance and 'HDR movies': Digital Photography Review

08-20-2012, 10:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Exmor RS design is about as exciting as backlit CMOS: if you're interested, it is fantastic. I'll be excited when this comes to APS-C sized sensors, which might happen in a year or two. Just in time to retire my K10d and make my K-5 a secondary camera. Whether the sensor in the Q line becomes bigger or not, this certainly shows that each pixel can be derived from a larger sensor. If my reading is correct, the current Q has a diagonal of 7.66mm, while the largest (announced) Exmor RS sensor has a diagonal of 5.9mm, but that's certainly in the same ballpark and doubtless a technology that will scale to larger sensors... smaller (Q-sized) before larger (APS-C).

Sony seems to be pretty good at this sensor design thing. Kudos to their engineers. Or, perhaps more accurately, kudos to their marketing for making a press release about this, which other sensor engineers are probably doing too.

I'm confident that, yes, sensor technology will become more interesting as time goes on. I'm aiming for the contentedness that comes from enjoying what I have while looking forward to what's to come.
08-21-2012, 12:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
Who knows if there will ever be a next Q, but a lot of people have speculated (secretly wished) they might make the sensor bigger in the Q's successor. That could happen. Or it could be that these tiny sensors are going to get much more interesting as time goes on.

Sony uses clear pixels to offer low-light performance and 'HDR movies': Digital Photography Review
1/3" and 1/4" cellphone sensors? Highly doubtful.

This is far more likely:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/196379-will-q2-sensor.html
08-21-2012, 12:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I don't see a reason for a larger Q-sensor. The extreme crop factor is one of the advantages of the Q.

08-21-2012, 06:52 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LamyTax Quote
I don't see a reason for a larger Q-sensor. The extreme crop factor is one of the advantages of the Q.
+1 to this, though I'd be willing to make a compromise at 4x crop.

Going for a 1" sensor and the like is just asking for a "me-too" offering that is already met with cameras like the Nikon V1/J1 and Sony RX100.
08-21-2012, 07:14 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well if the sensor was twice the size of Q to begin with then we wouldn't have this discussion I guess. The size off sensor that Fuji uses is nice to offer a lot of zoom and a descent image quality.

Offering iso64 would also be a great improvement.
08-21-2012, 01:31 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LamyTax Quote
i agree 100%.

Add the fact that the 1/2.3" format is by far the most popular format in digital cameras, it bodes well for future sensor development in this format. With only a handful of 1/1.6" and 1/1.7" sensor camera models over all the mfgs, non existent sensor development has forced something like a three year cycle before sensors have been upgraded. Look at the G series Canons and the P7xxx series Nikons, still using CCD sensors in 2011 models while 1/2.3" format sensors had already moved to CMOS, then Exmor, then BSI CMOS in the same time frame, and there are even further developments coming in the near future.

Pentax Q designers made the right decision IMO, and should hold their ground as far as format goes. The supposed inherent IQ advantages of marginally larger sensors is trumped by the advances in technology spurred by the much larger market for the smaller sensors. "Bigger is better" only counts when the level of the technology is equal, and this is just not with case the fringe formats like 1/1.6" and 1/1.7".

Scott