Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-27-2012, 01:19 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
An interesting user review of the Q

I couldn't find a reference to this blog article here, and I thought it summed up a lot of feelings I have for the Q:
My Pentax Q impressions

08-27-2012, 01:34 AM   #2
Banned

Looks great. From Amsterdam.
08-27-2012, 04:34 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Looks great. From Amsterdam.
Coincidentally, I took a few photos with my Q in some of those areas, just a short while ago. Great city - every time I go there, I find something delightful I hadn't found before.
08-27-2012, 07:12 AM   #4
Banned

Yes I been there a few times this year. It is about 100km for me, but I sometimes stay over for a weekend and take care off the pets of a friend of mine.

08-29-2012, 05:00 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I thought this was a very good and thoughtful review, as well. (and by a good photographer who got to spend an entire month with the camera) One thing to keep in mind as you read it, however, is something about the reviewer that he admits at the end: That he does not read manuals and thinks that he should be able to figure things out on his own. That he largely succeeds says a lot about the logical way that Pentax engineers have designed both the hardware and menu systems/firmware. However that approach can also lead to missing features to which one may be oblivious.

I think that most of us want to start using our equipment without reading the manual, but I think if we want to get the most out of our equipment that we consult it eventually.
08-29-2012, 10:30 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cheekygeek Quote
I thought this was a very good and thoughtful review, as well. (and by a good photographer who got to spend an entire month with the camera) One thing to keep in mind as you read it, however, is something about the reviewer that he admits at the end: That he does not read manuals and thinks that he should be able to figure things out on his own. That he largely succeeds says a lot about the logical way that Pentax engineers have designed both the hardware and menu systems/firmware. However that approach can also lead to missing features to which one may be oblivious.

I think that most of us want to start using our equipment without reading the manual, but I think if we want to get the most out of our equipment that we consult it eventually.
That's a very perceptive comment, and perhaps that's the way the Pentax menu systems are devised, to provide quick access to the handiest, most easily perceived features, while the deeper ones are buried further into the menus - I must check the truth of that in my other cameras, as well. Nonetheless, such a structure makes sense, because reading through a manual these days is quite an effort - I look at the difference in thickness between my *istD and the K-5 manuals to illustrate that.

I think most of us continue to find interesting things, as we dig deeper into the menus, and/or the manual.
08-30-2012, 02:53 AM   #7

The Q has all kinds of clever trickery up its sleeve. Even coming from the K5, I found its menu system to have lots of little improvements and developments.

Fail to read the manual and you're unlikely to uncover them.

As others have said, it is the kind of camera that puts the fun back into taking pictures. Then again, in my experience, any new camera leads to a rapid uptick in the number of shots I take.