Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-29-2012, 06:21 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just got a Q burger with the works,

The other day my partner was complaining that her ususal kit of a k-x + Tamron 18-250 was too heavy for her to use all day.

It didnt take long for me to jump on that for an excuse to buy myself....err, I mean to get her a cute little Q; and as I believe in 'in for a penny, in for a pound' I got all 4 lenses as well. Total Package around $850Aus. I didnt shop around much as we are jumping on a flight in a few hours to attend a friends wedding inThailand.

First impressions are very much in line with most everything else I read... what an awesome LITTLE camera! I have just done the firmware updates, and everything seems to be going smoothly. The thing that strikes me is how well laid out this tiny camera is, I have great big, beefy hands and I have very little difficulty manouvering the buttons and dials. Impressive.

The missus also seems impressed. She said ' I'll study the manual on the plane tomorrow...' She'll do WHAT? RTFM? Unheralded. She actually likes the thing so much she is interested in finding out how it works rahter than just relying on asking me. That, my friends, is a hidden bonus.

I have only taken a few dozen test snaps so far, nothing worth your time to view dear readers, but I'll be reporting in from Thailand with a comparative study of the Q v's the fully decked out K-5, David and Goliath.

Stay tuned

PS, I also got to play with an Olympus OM-D quite extensively today. Wow! If I didnt have to get a camera for her, that little beaty may well have been winging it with us.

08-29-2012, 06:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Can't wait to see your David vs Goliath report!
08-29-2012, 01:38 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Edit: I need to ammend my original posting as I dont have the #5 lens. They were out of stock.
11-15-2012, 03:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
Edit: I need to ammend my original posting as I dont have the #5 lens. They were out of stock.
You left us hanging man!

How was the trip?

How did the Q and 4 lenses work out?

Did the Mrs. actually read the manual?

More importantly, did she actually use and like the Q?

Don't leave us hanging any longer!!

11-15-2012, 09:28 PM   #5

That's is such a good price!! Which oz shop did you get yours from?
11-15-2012, 09:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mcjm78 Quote
That's is such a good price!! Which oz shop did you get yours from?
Mate they're selling for $199AUS for the Body + Lens right now at Ted's.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-price-watch/205142-pentax-q-8-5mm-...-teds-aus.html
11-15-2012, 11:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Well I'd argue for the price it is now a bargain against its true competitors like the Canon G12, Panasonic LX5 and LX7 and the smaller format mirrorless, ala Nikon J. Particularly as it has far more flexibility and arguably has better ergonomics.

HowieB