Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2012, 08:05 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How cool is this? Q/Viewfinder/CZJ

The chrome Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 40mm f4.5 T is (for now) on the Q just for looks. As a preset lens (10 aperture blades) it needs a secure mount and the Pentax m42 adapter into a K-mount adapter isn't it. I need a "real" m42 to Q adapter before I can actually try this combo.

But the other thing I want to show is my viewfinder for the Q. I was rummaging around in my basement-O-photographic-crap and found this Alpex Auxillary Lens set. Tucked between the lenses is a multipurpose viewfinder that slips into the flash shoe. I think it will do the trick, and beats paying over $200 for the Pentax viewfinder (which is darn silly, IMHO).

Images should be showing above (but they aren't for me) so here are the links:
http://www.antiqueauto.org/assets/Q-CZJT2.jpg
http://www.antiqueauto.org/assets/Q-CZJ40T.jpg
http://www.antiqueauto.org/assets/auxlenskit.jpg

Bonus wackiness (actually not wacky at all):

Last edited by cheekygeek; 08-29-2012 at 08:36 AM.
08-29-2012, 08:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Nice find. What is the field of view of that viewfinder?
08-29-2012, 09:14 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

I think that little viewfinder looks pretty darn cool on that camera.
08-29-2012, 10:14 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments. Here is a view of the backside of the viewfinder.

Since it was designed to be used with the two auxiliary lenses (wide angle and telephoto) but I don't know what effective focal length they are supposed to give, you I'm not sure exactly what FOV the markings are for, but some quick Pythagorean Theorem guesstimates put the bigger area as approx. 50-55 degrees. The 8.5mm f1.9 lens I've got has a FOV of 49.5.

I figure a few test shot and I'll be able to guesstimate how far inside that line is the edge of my frame.

PS... the shot of the viewfinder (above) was taken with a Sigma EX 28mm f1.8 Macro mounted on the Q (effective focal length approx. 155mm).

08-29-2012, 10:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cheekygeek Quote
Thanks for the comments. Here is a view of the backside of the viewfinder.

Since it was designed to be used with the two auxiliary lenses (wide angle and telephoto) but I don't know what effective focal length they are supposed to give, you I'm not sure exactly what FOV the markings are for, but some quick Pythagorean Theorem guesstimates put the bigger area as approx. 50-55 degrees. The 8.5mm f1.9 lens I've got has a FOV of 49.5.

I figure a few test shot and I'll be able to guesstimate how far inside that line is the edge of my frame.

PS... the shot of the viewfinder (above) was taken with a Sigma EX 28mm f1.8 Macro mounted on the Q (effective focal length approx. 155mm).
Very cool. Best of all you already had it!
08-29-2012, 11:39 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Yikes! I want one for my Q so I just did a couple searchs on fleecebay. Lots of old Universal Viewfinders as well as specific use ones but the cost makes the Pentax accessory look like a bargain. Funny there seem to be no knock-offs for $20 out there, lots of Leica though.