Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2012, 01:58 PM   #1
Veteran Member

I got it,...and I get it...

Received my Black Q and Prime 01 yesterday and thought I would share my use and feelings on it.

Firstly I wanted a dedicated camera to have with me at ALL TIMES. I
have been using my Sony phone a little bit but I find it unusually hard to just take a shot quickly without having to stop. I still use the phone for humourous shots I want to MMS or Facebook.

So after the Q got to the $399 pricepoint I started realistically looking into it. At this point I was asking myself what would help my photography more: another camera or a Samyung 85mm 1.4? Ultimately taking more photos = more experience so I went with the former.

I did want to go with an ILC as I wanted to experiment with the different crop ratios giving any lenses I buy for my DSLRs a new lease of life on these bodies. I also wasn't too concerned with a zoom as I wanted a nice fast lens and with the MP available would be able to crop if required.

Also I just started work in the city so the camera HAD to fit my suit pocket or a jacket pocket. In the end the show down came down to the Panasonic GX1 and the Pentax Q- A X100 also would have been nice but not flexible enough for the price range. Also I want it NOW rather than any models coming up on the horizon.
In the end it came down to price and what I really wanted to achieve with the camera.

Had I wanted a total system camera I would have probably got either a GX1 or a OM-D- the form factor is great, heaps of lenses and performance is right up there with APS-C in my opinion. However I still do the majority of my free time shooting on the DSLR and looking to doing more as a second job potentially. So slow deliberate shooting in RAW is DSLR territory for me.

My day to day camera I want to experiment, shoot on the fly, get street shots, candids anything that interests me. I most likely want the idea of a photo or capture a moment. So in this case the IQ of the Q was 'Good enough' and the deeper DOF is actually beneficial in getting focus 'keepers'. I wanted it to be unobtrusive, fast to focus, and shoot without too much thinking.

So how did I find it? I get it! This camera IS fun

I now walk with the camera in my fingertips with a wrist strap. Its invisible. I take a shot, 'bang' no one bats an eyelid.
Often I don't even need to look at the screen, once you get a feel for the angle of view you can just shoot it.
I didn't really realize this untill I used it. You don't NEED a viewfinder for this kind of shooting, infact if I did it would just make the camera stick out more and as soon as I hold it up to my eye I will get noticed.

I did find lens attached it is abit too tight in the pocket so while I'm at work I will probably take the lens off. Ultimately I would probably have 1-3 lenses on me any way so this makes sense anyway.

Sooo..to sum up I think the Q is definitely in a category of its own the closest to it would be probably a GX1 with the tiny primes available and a pancake zoom if you want it. This at release price though, however at the $399 price point it becomes alot more accessible. 'Enthusiast' compact cameras such as the RX100 / X10 / LX5 do serve a similar goal but options of the lens mount does appeal to photographers like me who get a bit more value for flexibility reasons (Electronic TC/super macro).

Anyway time for work, will post some shots soon!

09-05-2012, 02:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and experience with the Q
09-05-2012, 02:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Forgot to add, the 1234 dial is a masterstroke in fast creative shooting.
The battery life was fine for me no need to recharge today (I wont be shooting with this all day anway).
The 4x magnification for MF is AWESOME (i didnt realise what it was, I thought it was like zooming the display in live view).
Finally the results at high ISO compare with my Kx (ie it betters my K7), its THAT good!
09-05-2012, 05:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations. It does sound like its very easy to just have in hand. Have fun.

09-05-2012, 09:40 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations Tonto on the Q purchase. The camera is in a league of its own. There is no direct comparison. You have already found the secret weapon of the Q- fun. Also love the way it dances on the finger tips while working.
thanks
barondla

Don't forget all the firmware updates.
09-08-2012, 09:49 AM   #6

I recently shouted my adoration from the rooftops on my design blog:
http://dear.st/my-love-affair-with-the-pentax-q/
09-08-2012, 02:27 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Nice blog Sarahdear. The Q does that to photographers that give it a try. I have 20+ digital & film cameras with interchangable lenses. All but one ( Pentax K-7) would go before the Q did.
thanks
barondla
09-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just too my Q to a rock concert and it was awesome! I was at the front so the 01 Prime was fine.
Have to wait on the pictures I forgot to import them and my wife took it out for the day

09-08-2012, 08:13 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Sorry Tonto there is a strict one owner per Q rule. If you keep this up you will have to add another Q. Lol. Very addictive.
thanks
barondla
09-09-2012, 05:34 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I found that with my K7, I didn't wan't to share so I got another a Kx
09-10-2012, 06:30 AM - 1 Like   #11

I think if Pentax had really marketed this (in America) as THE camera for concerts, parties, festivals, street fashion, etc, that it could have been more successful with sales. Not to mention less incredulous reactions and reviews, which crack me up because I don't think anyone is buying the Q because they think it's going to be a professional camera, but because of its portability.
09-23-2012, 02:01 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Had my first battery issue yesterday. I had it out instead of my DSLR- so will need to get another battery for it so it doesn't drive me insane. Used my K7 today and its good to be back
09-29-2012, 07:15 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmmm, Q doesn't really cut the mustard in lowlight AF- I thought it was because the AF assit light wasn't on but its just s l o w. No biggie will just MF instead and try to remember to turn off the 4x magnifier as it is abit distracting in portrait shooting!