Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2012, 12:25 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bmonki Quote
than that makes me wonder, because they named it the Q10, what kind of upgrade name is that? So what I'm guessing is this is a low end model of a Q and maybe a high end model that is metal and has the focus peaking, adaptable SR, weather sealing and all that jazz for a premium price like the original Q down the road, hopeful wishing? I'm excited pentax is continuing the Q line, I was an early adopter and took a risk and love the direction they are headed with this. Just we need a wide angle, maybe I'm just LBAing because I broke my fisheye and been using the 04 for my wide angle needs. But even on the steve huff site he was praising the new Q and the direction pentax is headed and this is from a guy whos job is to to test mirrorless cameras, he's used them all.

EDIT: now that I think about it and to stay on topic, does the sensor have anything to do with focus peaking? Does a sensor need to be developed in advance with focus peaking in mind and thats why its in a lot of 16mp sony sensor cameras like the k-01, k-30, nex-5n? If so was this sensor developed to be able to perform focus peaking? Any techies know the answer to this?
Hi bmonki,

I'm hoping you're correct that this is just a lower end model. If that is the case, it's encouraging that they chose to update the sensor and AF speed and keep the features, filters and modes for the basic model. On the other hand, it may indicate the direction they intend to take with the future of the Q -- design it totally towards a price point, which I hope is not the case.

Personally, I feel that there's a place for a true flagship and want a Q2 with the high end features of a semi-pro DSLR as you suggest, and I'll even add wireless P-TTL capability with the popup flash as Master or Controller and Catch In Focus (Focus Trap) with MF and adapted lenses to the desired feature list.Come to think of it, a state-of-the-art high res OLED screen with advanced glare control and/or provisions for an external high res EVF with higher magnification focus assist would be nice as an alternative if there are tech problems supplying focus peaking.

Don't know anything about if the sensor needs to be special for focus peaking, but imagine it's just a matter of local contrast enhancement in the processor to display on the LCD.

Scott

09-12-2012, 10:57 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi bmonki,

I'm hoping you're correct that this is just a lower end model. If that is the case, it's encouraging that they chose to update the sensor and AF speed and keep the features, filters and modes for the basic model. On the other hand, it may indicate the direction they intend to take with the future of the Q -- design it totally towards a price point, which I hope is not the case.

Personally, I feel that there's a place for a true flagship and want a Q2 with the high end features of a semi-pro DSLR as you suggest, and I'll even add wireless P-TTL capability with the popup flash as Master or Controller and Catch In Focus (Focus Trap) with MF and adapted lenses to the desired feature list.Come to think of it, a state-of-the-art high res OLED screen with advanced glare control and/or provisions for an external high res EVF with higher magnification focus assist would be nice as an alternative if there are tech problems supplying focus peaking.

Scott
Olympus started with the E-P1, continued with E-P2 and E-P3 on the high end. And then added two lower-priced levels in the same family. With more primes coming, Pentax should have a high end line with Q and lower with zooms & Q10.

Last edited by palemale; 09-12-2012 at 10:58 AM. Reason: typo