Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2012, 06:17 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If there is a new Q with new chip...

Will megapixels increase? If so how many megapixels do you think it will be? How much IQ improvement could they achieve( not necessarily due to more pixels). 5%, 10%, 20%, or more?
thanks
barondla

09-07-2012, 06:22 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Says 12 MP according to the recent leaks:
Continued Leaks Reveal New Pentax Announcements - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

AKA 0% more

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-07-2012, 08:48 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That seems unlikely. Sony now has 1/2.3" sensors in 16.2 and 18mp flavors. I would think the new Q would have the 16.2.
I know megapixels isn't everything, and even works against you in many respects, but I can't see them "sitting pat" on the original's megapixels.
09-08-2012, 02:36 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
To me, more megapix on the Q is pointless.
The pixel peeping will never get satisfaction from small sensors for this type of thing.
At 12mp with its small sensor, some legacy lenses used with the adapter is already showing evident CA, 16mp will be worse.
It will show up focus and subject/camera movement easily at 100%

There are quite a few things I'd rather they improve :
1. AF speed to be on par with the 2011-2012 m4/3 cameras (ie. very competent)
2. flash sync speed with adapted lenses

09-08-2012, 09:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
To me, more megapix on the Q is pointless.
The pixel peeping will never get satisfaction from small sensors for this type of thing.
At 12mp with its small sensor, some legacy lenses used with the adapter is already showing evident CA, 16mp will be worse.
It will show up focus and subject/camera movement easily at 100%

There are quite a few things I'd rather they improve :
1. AF speed to be on par with the 2011-2012 m4/3 cameras (ie. very competent)
2. flash sync speed with adapted lenses
I agree with all of the above.

The people who are most vocal about the negatives of the Q sensor are those who don't own one and are extrapolating their IQ "common knowledge" from their experience with DSLR format class sensors which are essentially generations behind in technological development. The CA evident in images from the Q lenses because of the ultra high pixel density would be essentially not worth worrying about on much larger sensors -- but would be exacerbated by a higher pixel density sensor.

Phase Detect focusing sensors on the imaging sensor (ala Nikon 1) could boost focusing speed considerably.

Either the internal shutter K to Q adapter or a sensor with digital shutter circuitry that allowed flash sync up to 1/250 with external flash and sync up to max shutter speed with the pop up flash might be possible. Internal shutter adapters for other lens mounts would attract ultra tele and macro shooters from other platforms. Fully manual and Auto Thyristor flashes also need to be supported for use with adapted lenses, and wireless P-TTL capability with the pop up flash as a Master or Controller would be nice..

In addition, I'd like a higher res much more glare resistant LCD with a faster refresh rate. Add Focus Peaking or a better implementation (capable of holding the magnification until shutter is tripped) of focus assist magnification (with higher magnification enhanced with the higher res screen) and the Q would be awesome with adapted lenses for my use.

On a lower priority, AF during video would probably encourage me to shoot more video, but it's not a priority for me. . .

If brought to the leading edge of existing tech, and with a full system of lenses, the Q would be a camera system to be reckoned with IMO. -- Actually, it already is, but there's room for improvement on a lot of fronts.

I'm for anything that would further promote the Q concept. I'm on record as always thinking of it as brilliant.

Scott
09-08-2012, 02:03 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Not saying I want more MP. Not sure Pentax has a choice. When Q came out they picked the 12mp instead of the 16. If Sony is making a new improved chip would they bother with 12? If they did a new 12mp wonder how much of an IQ improvement the same size sensor would show? There is a lot of difference between the K5 and K7 sensors and it isn't the 1.3mp between them.

There are a lot of enhancements that could be added to the Q. Just hope they don't use the multi button info system that the K-01 and K30 uses. Ike moving from histogram to other info quickly like the Q does. How about a Q with no AA filter? Would love the sensor guard to be removable for IR photos. Monochrome Q would also be so cool.

I have agreed with snostorm since day one. The Q is a brilliant design and far ahead of most photographers. Jazzed with the idea of adding both zooms to the fisheye and prime for a complete system that fits in the space of a K5 w/18-55 and weighs less. True photographic freedom. Ever since the "Q is discontinued" rumour had money set back for 2nd one. Now it will go towards a new one.
thanks
barondla
09-09-2012, 11:01 AM   #7

One promise of the Q is that as advancements occur in small sensor design, and because of their popularity they do often, Pentax can continually update the Q with the newest technology. The Sony sensors are getting very good, and will continue to get better.

More megapixels will happen, as Sony always pushes the envelope there. As I've noted before, even with the Q's current sensor, you note the limitations of the tiny pixel pitch... The 02 Zoom, for instance, acts like a weak AA filter and doesn't show the full resolution of the sensor.

Hopefully Pentax can do a little better job next time with Sony's image-stacking modes--HDR and handheld twilight aren't implemented well on the Q, IMO.

09-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ndjedinak Quote

Hopefully Pentax can do a little better job next time with Sony's image-stacking modes--HDR and handheld twilight aren't implemented well on the Q, IMO.
Have always been impressed with how well the Q does on HDR-auto. Sometimes it is very close to my Photomatix or Unified Color Expose programs. Usually + exposure by 2/3 step. No idea on the night HDR. Hope Pentax has tightened up the Q with refinements across the platform. Also hope the body is still built as well. No matter what the Q is fun.
thanks
barondla
09-09-2012, 02:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Also hope the body is still built as well. No matter what the Q is fun.
thanks
barondla
Thats what I'm hoping, something about the new low price says they dropped the alloy body... I hope not, my Q feels like a mini tank, I've given it some gnarly drops and barely a scratch on the thing...
09-09-2012, 03:28 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bmonki Quote
Thats what I'm hoping, something about the new low price says they dropped the alloy body... I hope not, my Q feels like a mini tank, I've given it some gnarly drops and barely a scratch on the thing...
The camera is probably as small as it is due to the metal casing. Not sure they could manage the same size or smaller with plastic. I guess we will have to see. I'd be more interested in the camera after they get some high-end wide glass. I could see it being nice with a small video stabilizer among other uses like being able to take it everywhere. I'm already hoping they will eventually make a WR version too, but that needs lenses to go with it...
09-10-2012, 07:47 PM   #11
Veteran Member

IIRC, read noise has become a small problem for APS-C and larger sensors but is still a factor in small sensors, as is shot noise. Both tend to vary inversely with sensel size. So the old saw about more noise with more MP still should hold true for 1/2.3 sensors. I'm not sure about techniques to reduce read noise but there's nothing that can be done about shot noise. Ask Sheldon, he'll explain. For several hours ....
09-10-2012, 11:28 PM   #12

Specs say plastic on Pentax website.
09-10-2012, 11:38 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by palemale Quote
Specs say plastic on Pentax website.
than that makes me wonder, because they named it the Q10, what kind of upgrade name is that? So what I'm guessing is this is a low end model of a Q and maybe a high end model that is metal and has the focus peaking, adaptable SR, weather sealing and all that jazz for a premium price like the original Q down the road, hopeful wishing? I'm excited pentax is continuing the Q line, I was an early adopter and took a risk and love the direction they are headed with this. Just we need a wide angle, maybe I'm just LBAing because I broke my fisheye and been using the 04 for my wide angle needs. But even on the steve huff site he was praising the new Q and the direction pentax is headed and this is from a guy whos job is to to test mirrorless cameras, he's used them all.

EDIT: now that I think about it and to stay on topic, does the sensor have anything to do with focus peaking? Does a sensor need to be developed in advance with focus peaking in mind and thats why its in a lot of 16mp sony sensor cameras like the k-01, k-30, nex-5n? If so was this sensor developed to be able to perform focus peaking? Any techies know the answer to this?
09-10-2012, 11:57 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
than that makes me wonder, because they named it the Q10, what kind of upgrade name is that? So what I'm guessing is this is a low end model of a Q and maybe a high end model that is metal and has the focus peaking, adaptable SR, weather sealing and all that jazz for a premium price like the original Q down the road, hopeful wishing?
I could see it going the way you suggest OR perhaps Pentax felt that price was/is the biggest hurdle to broader acceptance and in an effort to cut costs, they changed the body construction. The weight is basically the same between the two models according to the Pentax site so perhaps it will not feel much less substantial. B&H has the camera + 02 lens listed for $599 so hopefully body only price will be appealing for those looking to "upgrade."
09-11-2012, 09:01 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by sunny16 Quote
I could see it going the way you suggest OR perhaps Pentax felt that price was/is the biggest hurdle to broader acceptance and in an effort to cut costs, they changed the body construction. The weight is basically the same between the two models according to the Pentax site so perhaps it will not feel much less substantial. B&H has the camera + 02 lens listed for $599 so hopefully body only price will be appealing for those looking to "upgrade."
For me, Q represented Quality first and the Quirky second, but surely the reverse would be likely to increase sales. As a longtime OM system fan, the numbering system for Q might well follow with single digit meaning high-end and double digit entry-level.