Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-10-2012, 12:50 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Q-K adapter vs ebay

I have a Q on it's way to me and was wondering if I should go with the Jinfinance ebay adapter to use with my K lenses, or wait for the Pentax one to be available/announced.

What is the advantage of the Pentax version with shutter built in?

09-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Excellent question. I bought a used Q kit including a no-name K to Q adaptor and I too look at the $290 brand and wonder what in the world can make it ten times the cost? The cheap one has aperture adjustment, lens release tab and no electrical contacts....just like all of them. I have seen a few with baffles inside that claim to reduce stray light from hitting the sensor.

Seems reasonable to start with a cheap version to confirm you want to use one at all. But I will be following this thread hoping someone with knowledge of both the $29 and $290 versions can educate us.
09-10-2012, 03:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I would wait, what if they announce that it has a built in shutter with electrical contacts that allow it to have shake reduction with adapted DA and FA lenses... never know and you only gotta wait a few days to find out...
09-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Does the ebay adapters allow aperture control? If not - the advantage of the Pentax one also includes the ability to use with DA lenses.

09-10-2012, 03:11 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bmonki Quote
I would wait, what if they announce that it has a built in shutter with electrical contacts that allow it to have shake reduction with adapted DA and FA lenses... never know and you only gotta wait a few days to find out...
I'm in the same position of wondering what do do, and have decided to wait and see what comes up in the next week or so.
09-10-2012, 03:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Does the ebay adapters allow aperture control? If not - the advantage of the Pentax one also includes the ability to use with DA lenses.
Ya, some have aperture control on them. I would honestly wait, the official one looks really nice and as compact as it can get for a k-mount adapter. And I think it's already official that it has a built in shutter, the other bits about SR is just "I hope" comment...
09-10-2012, 03:30 PM   #7
Site Supporter

If I had DadiPentak's money I would just buy them all and toss the ones I dont like.

09-10-2012, 05:28 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

The Pentax branded adapter has an integral leaf shutter. The advantage should be that when used with flash, we should get 1/250 sync with external flash and 1/1000 sync with the pop up flash. This might not seem important until you try to take some macros oudoors with an external flash. You'll find that with the adapters with no shutter, your sync speed is 1/13, and there is no way to allow the flash to be the sole or main source of light. I already have an RJ adapter, and will be getting a Pentax OEM as soon as they become available. It's not a matter of being rich or just wanting to spend money. If you don't plan to shoot macros with flash, and only want to get the tele advantage, then any of the adapters with aperture control will do fine, and you can save your money.

Scott
09-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax UK has announced adapter!

Photoblogdotcom has a press release from Pentax UK announcing the adapter( hope this is legit). It does have a 5 bladed shutter built in, and with a firmware update will allow us to input the focal length for image stabilization. HALLELUJAH! They also talk about the advantages of this adapter. Strange that the tripod adapter is an option. Can't wait to order mine. Hope it is less money than the camera.

The Q is alive and very well!
thank you Ricoh/Pentax.
barondla - so happy.
09-10-2012, 06:13 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Agree with snostorm and have another advantage to add. The shutter will eliminate the "rolling shutter" effect that happens, with rapid movement, on both stills and videos. Press release pic doesn't show lens mount and doesn't mention if there are electrical contacts. My guess is the Q mount will have contacts to work the shutter and the Pentax K side won't.

Can't wait to get mine. Now, if they will make an adapter to connect their red dot scope to the hotshoe- tightly, they will have a killer package. They should offer it all together with the DA*300. Birders would buy it.
Q on the move!
thanks
barondla
09-11-2012, 03:40 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Yep, the adapter looks more real now. Though availability is just mentioned as 2012 without detail, contrary to other products that have more specific dates.

Quoting "JohnCPentax" from his Q&A session on DPR:
QuoteQuote:
If I understand they system correctly, this information is automatically communicated (since all Q lenses would have this information). We haven't tried it with non-"modern" lenses, but the camera likely defaults to a preset focal length.
If you read what he writes it's not sure there will be a firmware upgrade since it would seem the focal length would be communicated automatically. How that could be done is a mystery since the pictures don't show contacts at the side of the K-mount. The only alternative is manual input thanks to a firmware upgrade indeed...

He does mention not having tried it with older lenses, implying that he did try it with modern lenses. So at least it's a real product or a working prototype, not just an empty show case model anymore...

I'll probably be ordering, most likely with the tripod mount (hopefully they won't charge too much for that?). It might turn out to be an expensive few months, esp since I might upgrade to the K-5IIs (undecided until real life results) and I am most certain to get the Samyang 24 T/S.

Wim
09-11-2012, 06:58 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Based on Snostorm's explanation of the requirement for a shutter relative to flash, for my intended use (tele/non-flash) I went ahead and ordered the $29 Fotodiox aperture+tripod mount adapter.

If there turns out to be a reason the Pentax adapter is desirable I will consider it, but by the time it becomes available I would hope to have taken many shots with the cheap adapter and my current lenses.

I also don't see any contacts on the lens side in the pictures of the Pentax adapter so it doesn't seem that it will have any type of communication with the lenses.

If they enable SR for adapted lenses via firmware I hope that function is made available for the Q and not just the Q10.
09-11-2012, 07:04 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I'll tell you why you want the Pentax adapter instead of the other versions:

the built in leaf shutter allows taking pictures without any rolling shutter effect (which is a problem with the Q).
Additionally you should be able to get flash sync speed of up to the shutter speed (1/1000s), if the firmware allows it.
09-11-2012, 07:33 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LamyTax Quote
the built in leaf shutter allows taking pictures without any rolling shutter effect (which is a problem with the Q).
When does this problem occur? Is it evident in static, tripod mounted shooting or only when trying to shoot handheld with an adapted lens?
09-11-2012, 07:41 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Pentax Adapter Q for K-mount Lenses B&H Photo Video
Price: $249.00