Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-11-2012, 12:34 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Q vs Q10 - one step sideways and one step backwards?

I don't get it.

I like the looks of the Q10, but it is larger and heavier than the Q.

There is also no mention of the magnesium alloy chassis, so are we to assume it has gone?

The sensor has the same number of pixels, is also backlit, but is the latest generation. It will be interesting to see how much of an improvement it is.

Also, to introduce a K/Q converter at the same time as the Q10, and then not incorporate focus peaking? Seems a rather obvious missed opportunity.

The screen also remains at 460,000 dots, when 920,000 is becoming pretty standard. Considering no OVF option, the display really should not be something to cut corners on.

Other than the 1/8000 sec shutter, is there any compelling reason for Q owners to get the new model? I was going to say is there any good reason to upgrade, but I don't see how the word upgrade really applies.

I do like the new 2.8 telephoto zoom though. That makes the system far more compelling.

09-11-2012, 01:34 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm thankful that the Q is even continuing.
The Q10 will (hopefully) solve the market penetration issue due to high pricing that the first Q suffered.
If the user base grows, more good things will come in time for the system.
I'm willing to wait, since I don't see an urgent need for the Q10 to be any better than the Q.

I think the Q system needs to resolve :
1. AF needs to be competitive with whats out in the market today (esp. in low light) - Q10 is claimed to be faster
2. More lenses - the 14-45/2.8 is a great step in the right direction, but they will at least need a WA to form a complete kit. Maybe its already complete if I consider the 02 zoom as a WA lens....
3. Adapter with flash sync speed above 1/15 - unknown with the adapter
4. SR support for adapted lenses - (coming with the adapter

So IMO, 3 out of 4 needs are addressed (4th one might be too).
09-11-2012, 02:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I wont be upgrading thats for sure, unless the IQ jump is dramatic which I doubt... I'll be waiting for the next Q to come out, it's only been a year, so if another year a new one comes out I dont want to upgrade again, so I'll skip models of the Q...
09-11-2012, 03:31 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another site lists the lowest ISO as 100 vs 125 of the original Q. Interesting. The af is supposed to be faster. Wonder how much image improvement there will be?
thanks
barondla

09-11-2012, 05:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Wonder if they improved the startup time?
09-11-2012, 05:16 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Wonder if they improved the startup time?
Now, you've mentioned that a few times. Even with the dust reduction dance, I haven't found startup time to be an issue, although we each have our own view on what's acceptable. What sort of time are you saying is too long?
09-11-2012, 05:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Now, you've mentioned that a few times. Even with the dust reduction dance, I haven't found startup time to be an issue, although we each have our own view on what's acceptable. What sort of time are you saying is too long?
Have I, honestly don't recall mentioning it much? Just know i have read that the startup time is one of the things people have complained about in the past. Just did a search of all my posts and the word startup only appears in the post you responded to and this post under my name.

09-11-2012, 05:52 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't forget that some of us don't already own a Q.
That silver Q-10 is cute as, and I for one will be first in line, along with 01, 02, 03, 06 and Q-K.
09-11-2012, 05:53 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Have I, honestly don't recall mentioning it much? Just know i have read that the startup time is one of the things people have complained about in the past. Just did a search of all my posts and the word startup only appears in the post you responded to and this post under my name.
Maybe it was someone else, then. It wasn't meant to be an accusation, though. I was just curious to know what you thought was too long a time.
09-11-2012, 05:54 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Maybe it was someone else, then. It wasn't meant to be an accusation, though. I was just curious to know what you thought was too long a time.
No worries, just have read that a bit (like four video reviews and a couple posts here) and wondered.
09-11-2012, 06:14 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Startup time is fine on my Q-as for the rest that new zoom looks really good! Would like a 24mm equiv wide, (pikelet!! lol) but can use the fisheye for now - can defish it if really necessary. Still would like a nice telephoto/macro 70-100 equiv.
I may go with what a few others have and get the DFA100 WR +adaptor.
Really like the 4x magnification on the Q,works really well, don't really see a need for focus peaking unless it is purely a software thing.
09-18-2012, 01:12 AM   #12

As I've mentioned in prior posts about startup time--try a faster card. I stumbled on this by accident, but using the newest, fastest cards really perks the Q's speed up (although I don't think it can support UHS1 so maybe a fast Class 10 is all you need).

The AF isn't blazing, but if I can keep up with my toddler, it's good enough. She moves like a scalded cheetah. Really!

These tiny sensors improve fast, though, I'd expect DR and color depth to improve a little. Is the body still magnesium?

I'm bummed it comes with the 02 zoom. I shelled out the bucks for that already. Don't need another one :/

Maybe I'll wait until Q11.
09-18-2012, 05:08 AM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ndjedinak Quote

I'm bummed it comes with the 02 zoom. I shelled out the bucks for that already. Don't need another one :/
Thats what the marketplace is for! You will probably turn a profit on it!
09-18-2012, 01:02 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
Really like the 4x magnification on the Q,works really well, don't really see a need for focus peaking unless it is purely a software thing.
They (edited) are being cheap and lazy, found out sony added it to the nex 3 and nex 5 with a firmware update after they had been out for a long time when the nex 5n and nex 7 came out... So if sony can do it to two older models with a firmware update I'm sure pentax can too. This whole finishing off Hoyas road map and releasing half assed shit is disturbing, and I don't see how people cant see it. Release what hoya had make a quick buck, come out with new products and leave everything else DOA. We got the Tele that Pentax was talking about, because that shit was probably already finished and ready for shipment, what happened to everything else on the road map? Got canned probably, wouldn't doubt they are just selling off what hoya left and they're probably starting from scratch to compete with canikon.

Last edited by Blue; 09-25-2012 at 01:03 PM. Reason: vulgar language
09-18-2012, 02:46 PM   #15
Veteran Member

My impression is that this is not an upgrade -- it's the lower end economy body in the system with polycarbonate replacing the magnesium alloy of the original high end model. I think it's encouraging that they did not dumb down the features, but actually are offering a slight upgrade in sensor and supposedly AF. If this is truly the case, then it bodes well for Ricoh's intentions -- they're raising the bar at the entry level -- saving on the body materials and retaining the functional features of the flagship.

They did this with the K30 -- Pentaprism, upgraded SAFOX IX i+, twin e-dials, WR, etc -- mini K-5 feature set in a cheaper body instead of severely abbreviated feature set and a cheaper body. Sure there are the lower specs like 12 vs 14 bit A/D processor, automated shooting modes, some features stuck in menus instead of directly accessible by button, no top LCD, but in my mind, it's a high end featured camera at entry level pricing.

It takes about 2 years to design a new camera from the ground up. Ricoh has only been in charge for a year -- I think that what we're seeing here are just the end products of the projects that were already in the pipeline, and though it shows some Ricoh influence in the direction they intend to take Pentax, we haven't really seen where they intend to go. I'm actually glad to see some conservatism at this point on the takeover timeline. If, in another year, there hasn't been some very pleasing progress, then I might start to get concerned.

Scott