Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2012, 03:18 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Ideas on diffusing the onboard flash of the Q?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

As title, I used the Q in a bar the other night and that flash is pretty strong, problem is ilike any pop-up it is abit too directional. Any ideas on diffusing it- also the 'scissor lift' of the flash makes it tricky too.....

09-12-2012, 04:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Peel away one or two plys of a paper napkin and hold a few inches in front?
09-12-2012, 04:55 AM - 1 Like   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Would do it, was hoping for something a little less, "What are you doing???" but then if that was the case I wouldn't own a Q now would I?! :P
09-12-2012, 05:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
maybe just some opaque scotch tape??

09-12-2012, 05:27 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Maybe find a way to adapt one of these?

3x Pop up Flash Diffuser for Nikon D3000 Camera | eBay
09-12-2012, 08:10 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Take a palm sized card and paste aluminium foil on it.
Use it to bounce the flash up onto the ceiling.

This was with the K5 with pop up flash bounce off the ceiling with said bounce card.

You can even use it to give directional bounce.
09-12-2012, 06:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Take a palm sized card and paste aluminium foil on it.
Use it to bounce the flash up onto the ceiling.

This was with the K5 with pop up flash bounce off the ceiling with said bounce card.

You can even use it to give directional bounce.
thank you sir... I will be keeping one in wallet for now on...

09-12-2012, 10:04 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is a flexible credit card sized mirror sold on eBay that sounds perfect for this.
Thanks for the idea pinholecam.
09-12-2012, 10:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Buy some clear plastic baggage tag holders ( business card size)
slide a white card in and when needed , slide the tag holder down over the flash, so that the light hits the white card.

However I must say that the little Olympus M43 has very good flash control, no diffuser is needed over its on board flash.
09-12-2012, 11:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
There is a flexible credit card sized mirror sold on eBay that sounds perfect for this.
Thanks for the idea pinholecam.
Nice idea. Here's the link:

Shatterproof, Flexible, Light Weight, Credit Card Sized Pocket Mirror. NEW. | eBay
09-13-2012, 12:18 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I've been thinking about making a knockoff of the Demb Popup Flipit. I've sourced acrylic mirror tiles, plastic hinges and plastic bounce card materials, but haven't gathered them all up yet -- winter project. It really shouldn't be too hard to design a very compact variation that will slip over the Q flash. I've held up my DSLR model on the Q, and it works well, but is a bit ungainly. This should be a good modifier to use with the newly announced Pentax K to Q adapter with integral shutter for macro stuff. . . can't wait to see how it works. . .

Demb Flash Products - Demb Pop-up Flip-it! Flash Reflector

I've got one of the deluxe models for my DSLRs and it really works well, with the adjustable bounce card that can provide different levels of bounced direct fill. I been using a Demb Flip It with their diffuser on my external flashes since they first came out and it's another excellent product. Both fold flat and will fit in just about any pocket and work better than the bowls, Omnibounces, DIY bounce cards, mini softboxes, etc -- all of which I've also tried

The baggage tag holder is a very nice idea, and it could be incorporated into the design of my Q mirror bounce thingy. . .

Scott
09-13-2012, 02:41 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Some great ideas here. I think I will keep a lookout for a low profile baggage tag I can keep in my wallet.
That Flip-it! things looks cool though, I like how its handsfree (obviously not in the Qs case)

Last edited by Tonto; 09-13-2012 at 02:48 AM.
09-14-2012, 02:42 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Another possible option is to set the flash to -2 EV and use the built in flash as a trigger for a more powerful slave flash that you can bounce or diffuse as you want. I have a Morris slave flash that can account for the pre-flash the Pentax emits. I attached a generic stofen diffuser on that for very diffuse light.
09-14-2012, 03:03 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

what about this for an alternative?

I made this for my K-7 flash a few years ago, I think if I popped a little packing into the canister to centre it, it would make an ideal diffuser for the Q.

Cheap, virtually indestructible, and easy to make.
Attached Images

09-14-2012, 08:49 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Cheers for reminding me wizofoz, I was going to do the same thing with my Kx flash and totally forgot about it untill your post-I think this is the go for me, will have to experiment this weekend.
Although after Friday I was just getting infuriated with the AF in low light, I can still always MF but it still is annoying if I give the camera to someone else.