Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2012, 03:06 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Honestly a savvy shopper can find the Q for around $300 which is half the price of the newer Q10. As was stated earlier, the Q10 may have a few improvements over the Q but it is not worth double the price. Personally, I will be trying to snag a Q sometime next year.

10-27-2012, 04:09 PM   #17

I much prefer the body style of the original Q. Paid approx $310 for mine last week. Slowly wrapping my head around it, but so far, not disappointed, especially at the price I paid.
10-27-2012, 09:14 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LesMizzell Quote
I much prefer the body style of the original Q. Paid approx $310 for mine last week. Slowly wrapping my head around it, but so far, not disappointed, especially at the price I paid.
I agree about the body and I also happen to like the white color option. I also think you paid a very reasonable price which is what I hope to be doing sometime in the coming months.
11-16-2012, 06:53 PM   #19

Have u guys try the Q10 in person man! I just back from Japan try both Q and new Q10, Q10 way better camera then Q.

11-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Saibit, did you get a Q10? If so, what color? Japan has so many choices.
The Q10 does have advantages. The bigger grip makes it easier to hold. The camera fires jpegs on lo speed for over 30 shots. ISO 100 adds a little extra quality. The Q has the magnesium body and some say nicer looks. Both nice cameras. Will add a Q10 to my Q one day.
thanks
barondla

Last edited by barondla; 11-17-2012 at 06:16 AM.
11-16-2012, 10:04 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Saibit Quote
Have u guys try the Q10 in person man! I just back from Japan try both Q and new Q10, Q10 way better camera then Q.
Please explain, how is it better?
11-17-2012, 03:14 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Saibit Quote
I've tried them both. The Q10 is easier to handle since it is lighter and has a slightly better grip, but the image quality doesn't seem to be much different between the two, and with the recent firmware updates, they are almost functionally identical (but the Q10 has a bigger image buffer as barondla points out).

Bottom line: the Q10 is not "way better," but rather "slightly different, comes in colors, and is a new model." Being new, there are no closeout prices to be had, like the original Q.
11-17-2012, 07:11 PM - 1 Like   #23

I just ordered a Q over a Q10 - i must admit, i LOVE the red q10 (pentax and their coloured bodies!), but a prominent camera retailer was letting go all their stock of Q for AUD$189 - so i DEFINITELY couldn't pass it up. gonna be a nice addition to my camera family - the little camera that goes anywhere, with big features

11-17-2012, 07:24 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by imaspy Quote
I just ordered a Q over a Q10 - i must admit, i LOVE the red q10 (pentax and their coloured bodies!), but a prominent camera retailer was letting go all their stock of Q for AUD$189 - so i DEFINITELY couldn't pass it up. gonna be a nice addition to my camera family - the little camera that goes anywhere, with big features
You won't regret it! My favorite purchase of the year so far even over the T3i (600D) that I got in July.
11-17-2012, 07:30 PM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wanderography Quote
I find the huge DOF an advantage to street photography, if you use auto focus for street photography you have not done much research into street photography. Just like the people who talk crap about the X100 auto focus but didnt understand why all the street photogs loved them, OVF for zone focus... The Q's huge DOF makes zone focusing so easy, turn on manual focus, set the focus, turn off the LCD, use the OVF to frame and your snapping away at light speed... To know street photography you should know zone focusing, like knowing the difference between 1 foot and 6 foot (or meters, preferably both if your american) by eye... With auto focus your snap shooting, with zone focus you still control the outcome of your image and where you want to focus by knowing your focus point...
A very interesting post !

Here I thought of knowing "quite a bit" about photography only to find out that I hadn't even thought of "zone focus" and the Q.

What OVF do you use with the Q ?
Do you prefer a specific f-stop when using this method for street photography? All manual?

Just very curious, and thanks for posting.

JP
11-17-2012, 08:31 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
I've tried them both. The Q10 is easier to handle since it is lighter and has a slightly better grip, but the image quality doesn't seem to be much different between the two, and with the recent firmware updates, they are almost functionally identical (but the Q10 has a bigger image buffer as barondla points out).

Bottom line: the Q10 is not "way better," but rather "slightly different, comes in colors, and is a new model." Being new, there are no closeout prices to be had, like the original Q.
Don't forget that the Q10 is only lighter because it uses plastic (albeit nice plastic) instead of metal for the body chassis like the Q. Would I like a larger buffer on the Q, sure. Was it worth another ~$300 to get it - obviously no because I just bought my Q a week or so ago.
11-17-2012, 08:33 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by imaspy Quote
Welcome Aboard! You got THE deal on the Q, I envy you Aussies with that $189 price. Although the $299 we've been getting isn't too bad either.
11-17-2012, 08:44 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Don't forget that the Q10 is only lighter because it uses plastic (albeit nice plastic) instead of metal for the body chassis like the Q. Would I like a larger buffer on the Q, sure. Was it worth another ~$300 to get it - obviously no because I just bought my Q a week or so ago.
No kidding! I got tired of waiting for the Q10 double lens kit to show up in Canada, so I bought a black Q last week. So far, the AF (w/ 1.10) is the only thing even slightly disappointing in this little package. I love the familiar controls, raw file output, and manual exposure video from this little brick!
11-17-2012, 11:36 PM   #29
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Panoguy, the firmware updates on lenses and body helps with AF.
thanks
barondla
11-18-2012, 12:44 AM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Welcome Aboard! You got THE deal on the Q, I envy you Aussies with that $189 price. Although the $299 we've been getting isn't too bad either.
well, it's nice for us to get at least one good deal from time to time