Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
09-12-2012, 05:32 AM   #1

Am I mental? Q or Q10

I've been planning to get a system camera for years but for various reasons I haven't - possibly because DSLR's seemed to be the way to go, but for their massive size... I just placed an order online and my Pentax Q is on its way to me shortly, with a 01 & 02 lense...

Heres the thing; I'm aware of the new Q10, but for some reason I'm just drawn to the Q. It's small, looks great, and has the fun creative element I'm looking for. So, am I crazy for not waiting for the Q10?

My main purposes are: interior photography - site photos & completed interior architecture projects; creative street photography; nights out etc... I realise I'll need to look into some sort of wide angle or fish eye for the interior stuff, but I'll look into that when I've worked out the camera first. I travel quite a bit, so the small size is ideal + I'm no professional, so I don't need a super big sensor (I think). I suppose I should have come on here before buying, but I was pretty sure of what I wanted...

BTW, is the Q10 a replacement for the Q, or do they intend them side by side?

09-12-2012, 06:16 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, the Q has been out for some time and the prices have dropped to a reasonable level. The Q10 has just been announced so we do not know the price and the true spcs as yet.

Buying the Q IMO is the right move.

I too have the Q with 01 & 02 lwns and am saving up for the 06 lens.
09-12-2012, 07:37 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think you're crazy for not waiting for the Q10. There are improvements on the Q10, but it's close enough to the original Q that it's really more of a question of how much you're wanting to spend. Plus, you're not really locked in. Nothing says you can't sell your Q body in a few years and upgrade to a newer body.
09-12-2012, 08:18 AM   #4

The Q was conceived as a premium item of high quality and as might be expected, was quite pricey when introduced. The Q10 is another in the series, but not a replacement as it is plastic rather than cast metal, and features a zoom instead of the tiny prime. I would think a "Q2" sometime down the road would be introduced when major changes are available.

09-12-2012, 08:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The Q10 should be better in low light as those backlit sensors are much better with handling low light. That' should be the most notable difference. When they first showed the Q, i swear JC had said it had a backlit sensor ...i haven't done much night photography other than spy video off one of the local drunks on welfare as she crashing into our fence with her ecart...maybe i should post that up

Otherwise the IQ with the 01 lens is quite good, i don't think you are "mental" as the price is also "right" for now and you can pick up th Q10 later

Last edited by Clicker; 09-12-2012 at 08:51 AM.
09-12-2012, 08:38 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback. Am feeling good about my purchase now. Although I just got an email from the shop to say they are out of stock, which causes some difficulty as I'm relying on a colleague to pick it up for me next week in London...
09-12-2012, 08:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The improved AF on the Q10 would be an advantage for street photography.

09-12-2012, 08:46 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I'd go for the Q10 at this point of time.

Better AF is always welcome and the Q was slow in low light (normal conditions it was fine)
The new firmware would hopefully be more stable than the current one on the Q (not a killer but it is an irritation even now and then)
ISO100 for what its worth
Newer 12mp sensor for what its worth
Perhaps some other improvement here and there that are undocumented (eg. better max flash sync, improved menu, etc?? )

All for not much over the price of the existing Q.

That said, just enjoy your camera when you get it.
None of what I said are things to die for.
09-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
The improved AF on the Q10 would be an advantage for street photography.
I find the huge DOF an advantage to street photography, if you use auto focus for street photography you have not done much research into street photography. Just like the people who talk crap about the X100 auto focus but didnt understand why all the street photogs loved them, OVF for zone focus... The Q's huge DOF makes zone focusing so easy, turn on manual focus, set the focus, turn off the LCD, use the OVF to frame and your snapping away at light speed... To know street photography you should know zone focusing, like knowing the difference between 1 foot and 6 foot (or meters, preferably both if your american) by eye... With auto focus your snap shooting, with zone focus you still control the outcome of your image and where you want to focus by knowing your focus point...
10-17-2012, 11:51 AM   #10

I thought the Q and the Q10 had the same back illuminated sensors? There are some differences in algorithms I believe, but I am no expert. I have the Q with 01 prime lens and find it much more fun than my Nikon D40 DSLR. Anyway, I looked at the differences and so far I prefer the looks of the Q and solid magnesium alloy body. Autofocus is really not such a big issue and the 125 vs 100 iso is not going to be such a big issue either. I don't think the Q10 is worth waiting for if you compare the price that you can get the Q for now. I can get the Q for 294€ with either the 01 prime or the 5-15mm zoom, whereas the Q10 is expected to come in at close to 600€. The Q10 is not double the camera that the Q is, for sure.
10-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CobusBasson Quote
I thought the Q and the Q10 had the same back illuminated sensors?
The Q had a back-illuminated sensor and so does the Q10. The way I read this, the Q10 sensor is an updated version:

"The Q10 features a slightly redesigned body and updated 12.4MP 1/2.3" back-lit CMOS sensor. Improvements include faster operation and autofocus performance, the company says."
Pentax Ricoh introduces Q10 small-sensor mirrorless camera: Digital Photography Review
10-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #12

I was in the same boat a few weeks ago. I went for the Q because of the premium build quality and smaller (just) body, plus the price was hard to beat. I also liked that it came with the prime lens as I think it's a much better (though less flexible) lens than the 02. (although I bought the dual lens kit anyway). Having not had the opportunity to handle the Q10, I figured the lower price and feature set of the Q was good enough for what I wanted to do today. The Q just feels great in the hand, you can really feel the quality.

That being said, I think the Q10 will be a great camera in it's own right with the newer backlit sensor, focus peaking, and slightly better grip. I read somewhere that video quality is also improved in the Q10 without the rolling shutter effect of the Q? But who knows. Then again the Q has stereo mikes versus mono for the Q10. Anyway, both great cameras. It could be a while before the Q10 prices drop, which is why I went for the Q and I absolutely love taking it around.
10-17-2012, 04:15 PM   #13

You're gonna love the Q for what you need it for. Just the ticket, I think!
10-17-2012, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #14
Forum Member

I love my Q and when I can I'll get it a new friend the Q10. Why not just horde camera bodies for fun .
10-17-2012, 06:38 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As northislander pointed out no one said you could have only one Q/Q10 body. My Q will probably get a friend. Remains to be seen if it is the Q or Q10.
thanks
barondla