Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2012, 11:41 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I visited a camera store and got my hands on it. Boy it's tiny! It feels like a quality piece of equipment for sure. I also got a look at a few other models like the Nikon J1, Canon S100 and Sony DSC RX100. The Nikon and Canon are now out of the equation for me, so the choice is getting easier.

The Q still appeals to me the most in terms of looks and versatility but I'm leaning towards the RX100 now after comparing them here:

Pentax Q Compact System Camera - Review
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 Camera - Review

With the RX100 I feel I get the best compact camera available at the moment, it seems like it's technologically ahead of the competition (at a hefty price tag: 650 euro). The Q looks like the most fun camera but I doubt it will be the best choice for me as a tool to take good quality (holiday) snapshots even at less favourable lighting conditions.

Well I still have have 5 days to decide

09-18-2012, 01:06 AM   #17

We just finished a 2 week vacation in Hawaii, and the Q came along for the ride. My wife used it as her camera, I used my X-Pro 1 and my daughters Nikon AW100 for water shots. I snuck the Q fisheye in my wife's bag (along with the 01 and 02), and grabbed the Q every now and again for some fisheye fun. It's a great camera, for sure, I always enjoy using it. There are some occasions (especially with the wide FOV of the fisheye) that I struggle to capture the entire DR of a scene where bigger sensors struggle less, but the Q can usually be coaxed through various settings to comply.

I really like the "reversal film" setting along with the 02 zoom, and occasionally the fisheye. My wife got some shots with pretty darn good color (although not as nuanced as the XPro 1).

That being said, I also own a RX100 and had I not chosen to take my Fuji and "go light," I would have chosen that camera instead. You can search for my comparative review posted on this forum if you'd like more details, but the RX100 plays in a different league when at its best, IMO. To get a similar focal range (i wouldnt take only a 50mm prime on holiday, especially with no panorama mode), you have to have the 02 zoom, which is weaker IMO. The only advantage the Q holds is that fisheye, and 50mm vs 28mm at night (if you also have the 01)... Otherwise, the RX100 generally spits out files that rival a DSLR in more ways than just large print ability--DR and color nuance are two areas I find better, and Sony's HDR and nightime image-stacking modes are vastly better than Pentax which will come in handy on a trip.

I really enjoy our Q, and I always am very pleased when I shoot it. But there's no denying the RX100 produces better quality images. I'm glad I own the Q, and if Pentax ever comes out with more high quality primes perhaps I'll change my tune... But if I had to choose one or the other, I'd choose the Sony. HTH
09-18-2012, 02:19 AM   #18
Forum Member

pentax Q is a p&s , with Dslr controls.

it gives his best this way.

so maybe forvacation, maybe it's not the most versatile and automated p&s?
actually i never tried to use the Q at auto settings... pasm mode fits better to my use.

indeed, the Q + 01 lens is just great.
fish eye is a wonderfull add to that!
09-18-2012, 04:03 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Turbo Elephant Quote

The Q still appeals to me the most in terms of looks and versatility but I'm leaning towards the RX100...
Per your initial selection criteria, does the RX100 offer a convenient adapter that permits the use of your father's (or anyone elses) Pentax lenses?

Just curious... M

09-18-2012, 05:13 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Per your initial selection criteria, does the RX100 offer a convenient adapter that permits the use of your father's (or anyone elses) Pentax lenses?
We're talking apples & oranges. The RX100 is a pocketable P&S The Q is a system body and, as such, not really pocketable.
09-18-2012, 07:09 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Love my Q. It goes with me every where, even as a backup in the big camera DSLR bag. It is capable of so much from grab shots to serious photography with adapted lenses. Q allows me to take a system when there isn't room for a system. Noting can replace it.

The Sony seems a great camera. It pretty much does every thing it can from day one. It is a closed system. You won't ever be adding a wider lens or longer lens. Eventually its quality will be surpassed, a little later it will find itself on the shelf- permanently.

The Q is an open system. It is constantly evolving. It to will age. When the time comes a newer body can be added to your lenses for a fresh start. Maybe new lenses come out. There is already the 15-45 that the Sony has no answer for. I think the 5-15 will be replaced one day and this is why the Q10 only comes with it.

Notice in ndjedinak's post which of the three very new cameras stayed home. Wife took the Q instead of the Sony. He traveled heavier and took the Fuji. As small as the Sony is why didn't it go as a backup? Is the Sony already becoming a shelf sitter? Not good enough to match the Fuji quality and not as fun to use as the Q.

Turbo elephant your choice is one of evolution ( Q), or evolutionary deadend ( Sony). Good luck.
thanks
barondla

Q- take a system, when there isn't room for a system.
09-18-2012, 08:41 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I'm still torn. I would get both if I could afford it

Since I don't really like the looks of the Q10, I hope it will not replace the original Q entirely. In that case I could pick up the Q a few months later. What do you guys think?
09-18-2012, 08:49 AM   #23

My choice is the Q. Its a camera to have fun with and to be creative with. The Sony is very capable, possibly produces higher quality images and bigger size (the differences visible only to well seasoned photographers), but the Q will help you get better shots and better memories.

Personally, I think its getting a bit boring seeing peoples photos taken with compact cameras all over facebook etc.., they mostly seem to be of nice locations with nice people and plenty of smiles, but seem to document the moment, rather than capturing the moment...

09-18-2012, 09:04 AM   #24
Veteran Member

...the Q. Normal compacts, even with a large sensor, seem boring. With the Q you can adapt pretty much anything you want to it (although... most lenses will be super-telephoto )
09-18-2012, 10:07 AM   #25
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If snapshots are your thing, the RX-100 is arguably the best option. If you want to get crazy with the Cheese Whiz and have lots of fun, then the Q has no equal.
09-18-2012, 10:14 AM   #26
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
We're talking apples & oranges. The RX100 is a pocketable P&S The Q is a system body and, as such, not really pocketable.
Depends on the pocket. In addition to the Q, I have bigger cameras that will fit into my pockets. But what's up with the pocket anyhow? Why do some people put so much emphasis on sticking a camera in their pocket? Unlike DSLRs, small light weight cameras are painlessly easy to pack around.
09-18-2012, 01:18 PM   #27

And almost never capture "the decisive moment."

re: bluefoam document/capture above

Last edited by palemale; 09-18-2012 at 01:20 PM. Reason: clarification
09-18-2012, 01:52 PM   #28
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bluefoam Quote
Personally, I think its getting a bit boring seeing peoples photos taken with compact cameras all over facebook etc.., they mostly seem to be of nice locations with nice people and plenty of smiles, but seem to document the moment, rather than capturing the moment...

THAT is soooooooooooooooooooo true ^^

your words met my thoughs.

like a friend of mine, true iphone addict, keep comparing my Q/creative setups, with his iphone/instagram.
the fact is, even if we are both Dslr users,
the feeling, the path ,and the ending results are just not the same.
09-18-2012, 04:40 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
Why do some people put so much emphasis on sticking a camera in their pocket?
"Pocketable" just means really easy to take with you and I can certainly understand why some folks want that. An interchangeable lens system is more cumbersome & complicated.
09-21-2012, 06:42 AM   #30
Site Supporter

DavidOBryan, cool. You may be surprised at how much you use it. Make sure to do all fw updates.
thanks
barondla
Post pics!