Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2012, 10:21 PM - 1 Like   #31
Forum Member

Re:Sandy Hancock's 01lens search

Hi Sandy
Just came across Your Post,SRS Microsystems in the UK take preorders for the 01 Lens(Deposit).

10-02-2012, 01:27 PM   #32
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well I decided to get a ultrazoom compact (Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ-30). I've taken around 750 shots with it on my holiday. I'm pretty happy with the results I got when using it inside city areas but for landscapes and zoom shots the results aren't that great (which was to be expected).

So "DSRL quality" calls to get (much) better quality shots. The K-30 and K-5 look tempting (especially because they're weather sealed: I did not dare to take my compact to the beach for instance, missed a few nice opportunities there) but a little outside of my price range at this moment (maybe next year). So now I'm looking for a used Pentax DSRL which let's me try out my father's old lenses (K-x, K-r, K-20D ?) and also to test if a DSRL is something which works for me (without breaking the bank of course).

Cheers
10-02-2012, 09:36 PM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pana makes some neat big zoom cameras. You should get lots of great shots with the new camera.
Dslrs are a totally different world. Of the ones mentioned all will take great photos. The K20D is the only used dslr mentioned, that with a weatherproof lens is sealed. It is also the best built. The K/XR will have as good if not better IQ at low ISO, and do high ISO even better. Choices. One camera can't do every thing best. Luckily no one said we could only use one camera. Good luck on your camera journey.
thanks
barondla
10-06-2012, 06:04 AM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote

Notice in ndjedinak's post which of the three very new cameras stayed home. Wife took the Q instead of the Sony. He traveled heavier and took the Fuji. As small as the Sony is why didn't it go as a backup? Is the Sony already becoming a shelf sitter? Not good enough to match the Fuji quality and not as fun to use as the Q.
I think your sentiment holds truth in it, barondla. The Q is absolutely more fun than the Sony. Sony seems to make computers that take great photos instead of photographer's cameras, you know? There's nothing glaringly wrong with the UX, but Pentax has been making cameras for far longer and it shows through there.

Another bit of flavor for you: my RX100 was broken a few weeks before the trip. Somehow the ring around the shutter lenscap got a tiny (and I mean tiny, pin-pric-sized) dimple in it, and the shutter lenscap wouldn't open. I have no idea how this happened--I don't recall banging it into anything. It did sit in my pocket every day for about a month--a place where the Q rode for 3 months, I might add, without incident. In fact, this was my first incident with a pocket camera ever, and I've been carrying cameras in my pocket for 15 years. (Well, a Canon developed dust in the lens assembly, which I'm sure riding in my pocket didn't help but the camera was known for this problem). A glaring weakness for a pocket camera, IMO, and that's a big reason why I didn't take it with me. No sense having a pocket camera that's afraid to ride in a pocket. Or was it a defect? I'll never know, Sony didn't say. I wasn't charged for the repair, though, which makes me suspicious. I fully expected to pay.

One thing I should clarify is IQ; in good light, stopped down a little, the RX100's IQ can actually match the X-Pro's in many ways, particularly in detail resolution. that's pretty astonishing for a pocket camera. Compared to the Q, the lens is sharper, the large sensor allows for more DoF play in more situations, and the general rendering of the lens/sensor is on a higher plane, IMO. But the range of that excellent image quality is much narrower than the X-Pro (which essentially bangs out that quality anywhere, at any time) and you correctly identify that it's a bit of a "tweener" in that regard. If someone's criteria included images that could on occasion match a DSLR and be able to fit in a pocket, the RX100 is it.

But image quality isn't Everything for me, and for that, the Q is better all-around. I don't view it as more flexible because the only truly great lens out now is the prime. The new 06 zoom does look promising. I do hope the 02 zoom is remade... It's just not as good as I expected it to be, although I find the experience of using it to be excellent. So improve the optics and leave the build quality and feel, please. If the Q system fills out with better zooms and more primes... It will have a big leg up here. Also, I find the fisheye to be super fun. That's a big benefit of the Q.

I'm also more of a fan of the Q's build quality and ergonomics. Since I just bought a K-01, you correctly identify the RX100 might be going on to a new owner.

Last edited by ndjedinak; 10-06-2012 at 05:51 PM.
10-10-2012, 07:59 AM   #35

Hi everyone!

I'm new to this forum. I was seeking the web for reviews about the Pentax Q/Q10 and luckily I found you! It's a pleasure to read your posts and I'm glad to be part of your community

About me: my theoretical knowledge of photography is poor and I'm the guy who (almost) always keeps the auto-mode on when shooting with a reflex.. That being said, I'm surprisingly good at capturing the right moment. I might have potential, who knows.. Anyway, as for now i have no camera at all and so I need to by one.

Besides, I live in Milan (Italy) and it's very likely that I'll leave for a 3 months internship in New York. I really hope so! In this case, I'll need a quality camera that I can easily bring with me. Though, I don't feel like buying a compact camera. I've always had. Buying another one would make me feel like going out with a boring ex girlfriend.. I need something different, that can push me to improve my skills.

Do you think that the Q will suit me? Should I go for the Q or the Q10? Notice that this will be my only camera for an unspecified, still significant amount of time, so it's very important that I buy the best camera. At the beginning I was leaning towards the Nex/Nikon J2, but suddenly I fell in love withe the Q. And when I'm in love, my brains stops working.. so please help me make the right choice

Thanks in advance!

Francesco
10-10-2012, 10:01 AM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by Cesc Quote
Hi everyone!

I'm new to this forum. I was seeking the web for reviews about the Pentax Q/Q10 and luckily I found you! It's a pleasure to read your posts and I'm glad to be part of your community

About me: my theoretical knowledge of photography is poor and I'm the guy who (almost) always keeps the auto-mode on when shooting with a reflex.. That being said, I'm surprisingly good at capturing the right moment. I might have potential, who knows.. Anyway, as for now i have no camera at all and so I need to by one.

Besides, I live in Milan (Italy) and it's very likely that I'll leave for a 3 months internship in New York. I really hope so! In this case, I'll need a quality camera that I can easily bring with me. Though, I don't feel like buying a compact camera. I've always had. Buying another one would make me feel like going out with a boring ex girlfriend.. I need something different, that can push me to improve my skills.

Do you think that the Q will suit me? Should I go for the Q or the Q10? Notice that this will be my only camera for an unspecified, still significant amount of time, so it's very important that I buy the best camera. At the beginning I was leaning towards the Nex/Nikon J2, but suddenly I fell in love withe the Q. And when I'm in love, my brains stops working.. so please help me make the right choice

Thanks in advance!

Francesco
The Q10 has improved features, the Q has awesome build quality. Buy the Q10 with your head, or the Q with your heart. I just bought the Q...
10-10-2012, 10:46 AM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by bluefoam Quote
The Q10 has improved features, the Q has awesome build quality. Buy the Q10 with your head, or the Q with your heart. I just bought the Q...
So I should go for the Q10, right? Is quality build a key factor? I don't think the polycarbonate case will break so easily..

On the other hand, the Q10 costs twice as much as the Q. I found a Q at 280/300 euro, not bad at all and I could buy a Q10 for 470, not less..
10-10-2012, 11:08 AM   #38

For me I needed some time to really get 'in touch' with my Q, but i like it more every day now.
The only thing I really miss is a viewfinder....in the bright sun the screen is not very helpfull.

Henk

10-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by henkvanzuylen Quote
For me I needed some time to really get 'in touch' with my Q, but i like it more every day now.
The only thing I really miss is a viewfinder....in the bright sun the screen is not very helpfull.
Like this? Pentax Q Compact System Camera Viewfinder - Review

How is the quality of the lcd? I heard it hasn't a great resolution.

I can't make up my mind whether to buy the Q now or the Q10 later this month.. I'll think about it.
10-12-2012, 01:47 AM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by Cesc Quote
Like this? Pentax Q Compact System Camera Viewfinder - Review

How is the quality of the lcd? I heard it hasn't a great resolution.

I can't make up my mind whether to buy the Q now or the Q10 later this month.. I'll think about it.
Well the Pentax viewfinder is to expensive in my opinion.
The LCD isn't that bad at all, only in bright sunlight it's hard te see details, but wich LCD hasn't that problem?

I've a K20D (with a 35mm ltd, a 70mm ltd, a DA17-70 and a DA12-24) as well, but I use the Q more often!

Henk
10-12-2012, 09:51 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A viewfinder helps in bright conditions. I felt the Pentax viewfinder was a bit steep as well, I'd rather spend that money on their K-Q converter.

There are other options as seen in this thread. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/176194-external-viewfinder-recom...ml#post2111707

I opted for the Tele-Wide, as it is tiny and a perfect match for the 01 Prime lens.

There a ton of Tele-Wides on ebay http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p3984.m570.l1311&_nkw=tele-wide+finde...at=0&_from=R40

Make sure to get one that has a hot shoe mount, as some were set up with a clip mount for certain cameras.

Last edited by crewl1; 10-12-2012 at 11:38 AM.
10-13-2012, 02:30 AM   #42
Veteran Member

My pentax family just grew a little bigger, with a Q joining my K10 and K5.

picked it up for under $400 australian with the 01 prime lens, new.

haven't had a chance to play with it yet, but i wanted a small camera for street and casual photog, and i'm hoping to use high iso for moody and grainy B&W shots.

oh, and i can't wait to hook up my 150-500 sigma, lol. moonshots at effectively 2500mm should be interesting fun. lol
10-13-2012, 09:27 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Ok, I had a chance to play with it quickly last night. This thing is fun! I have never used the incamera filters and modes in the k5, but on the q it just makes sense. Not sure yet whether I prefer monochrome or bold monochrome. Wish I could have both on the quick dial. Is there a firmware update on the q?

I need to view images on a big screen before judging iq, but I think I can get the moods I want. Where the 5 is smooth and detailed, itself a feature, I think the q will be a story teller. Old school camera work required?

Edit: almost like my k10, whose mood and rendering I prefer to the 5 in some situations. Hope it is.
10-13-2012, 10:18 PM   #44
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The K10 has a CCD sensor. Many feel this does the best job with color. Love mine at iso 100 and some tweeking in camera.
Enjoy your Q and do the lens and body firmware updates
thanks
barondla

This brings up a question. Since all of our cameras are B&W what is it that causes this CCD to have better color?
10-13-2012, 10:22 PM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
The K10 has a CCD sensor. Many feel this does the best job with color. Love mine at iso 100 and some tweeking in camera.
Enjoy your Q and do the lens and body firmware updates
thanks
barondla

This brings up a question. Since all of our cameras are B&W what is it that causes this CCD to have better color?
Well, there are color filters over the photosites, so they could just be different. But is there a CCD vs CMOS color difference? Beats me.