Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2012, 09:41 PM   #46
Veteran Member

I originally posted in the share pics thread, but quite frankly these were not even close to worthy. but they are in my first 20 shots of simply playing with the new cam, mainly to see what ISO is like. both jpegs straight off the cam, no PP at all.

Pentax Q, 01 Prime, ISO 6400, on-board flash down, bold monochrome, focus on the tall vase

Pentax Q, 01 Prime, ISO 2500, ND filter on, bold monochrome

The IQ degradation at 6400 is probably too much, at least in the lighter area's, but i think at 2500 the balance is more what i want in terms of "mood". of course, the "bold monochrome" mode makes the decisions on the end product so perhaps really good B&W will require raw and PP. But i'm hoping i can get what i want if i need to use the jpeg dial for quick snaps. if i'm doing full processing, it's probably with the K5. with the Q, i was fast and snappy and minimal computer time.

I have just installed the firmware 1.01 so now i can really start having a go and see what i can get from this little device.

Last edited by saladin; 10-14-2012 at 09:51 PM.
10-15-2012, 05:15 PM   #47
Veteran Member

I have a question for those with experience - pentax camera utility 4 won't open the Q's DNG files. I can see the thumbnails across the bottom, but clicking on a dng won't show the pic in the preview screen, and double clicking brings up "Failed to display full image". But it works fine with k-5 and K-10 raw images? any suggestions? surely i don't have to run developer studio (supplied with the Q) just for the Q? It feels like i've got a permission box somewhere ticked or unticked, but i can't find one?

thanks for any help.

edit: well, i installed Developer studio and sure enough, no problem. I'm still not sure why PCU4 won't work though.

Last edited by saladin; 10-15-2012 at 05:41 PM.
10-16-2012, 05:02 PM   #48
Riv

Photos: Albums
Well Turbo Elephant took a different path. But, you folks did (and other threads) convince me to break down and spend that store credit. I thought about waiting for the Q10 to see 'how much' better it might be. I decided on the metal body, and even the the look a little of the Q. So, I ordered the white dual lens kit. I went white cause I wanted it to stand out when a) I miss place it in the house, or b) it's sitting on the seat in the Jeep (black) and someone sits on it... it's just so small. I wish the K->Q adapter was ready, looking forward to trying the DA*300 on it (the 55mm also for that matter). But I'm really looking forward to just having what appears to be a capable camera around where ever I'm going. Can't tell you know many could'a been nice sunrise shots I've missed on the way to work, or that blue heron that taunts me almost everyday in river on the way home from work. But, I just can't take the K5 to work with me..

However, I'm still keeping my K5 no matter how crazy it's driving me...
10-16-2012, 07:53 PM   #49
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Riv, welcome to Q ownership. You will find it a very capable machine. It is very hard to leave at home.
Understand your decision on the white twin lens kit. It would be a shame to miss the metal body construction of the Q. It will become a classic.

I bought a black Q at introduction. Now I am wanting a 2nd Q body. Question is Q or Q10? Too many questions need to be answered for a decision. Problem is original Q's are getting hard to find. Arghhh, hate these kind of choices. Need more info.

Enjoy your Q. As always remember to do all 3 of your firmare updates and get extra batteries.
thanks
barondla

10-18-2012, 05:55 PM - 1 Like   #50
Riv

Thanks Barondla, it came this afternoon applied all the updates. First impression, crap... I think I might like it I think a small part of me was hoping I wouldn't for some reason. Start up time, focus speed, shutter lag all seem good to me, I read a few posts about these after I ordered it and they had me worried a bit. So far I'd consider all these non-issues. I am glad I went white (first white camera), the 3 shades go well together and adds a touch class to it -but's that's all personal opinion.

I told myself I'd post the first image from it, reguardless of how bad. It's with the 01 prime, starting to lose stuff to shoot in the yard as we reach the back-end of the season change. My luck we're having wind gusts to 30mph today, but at least the Tigers are going to the World Series Wahoo To bad I'm not a bigger baseball fan. ..

I'm having major color management issues (not Q related, K5 also since I installed lightroom 4.2 along side PSE9). This is all lightroom (which I'm new to), if run the Edit In then choose PSE9 from within LR, when I save it as a jpeg (from PSE9) it's all washed out even with it set sRGB. Anyway, here it is, full frame with a little post work as it was shot raw.
10-20-2012, 11:58 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Is a white dual lens kit for 349(very weak)Euro too good to pass up on?
10-20-2012, 07:10 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's lower than the $500 Woot deal.
10-20-2012, 07:38 PM   #53
Site Supporter

Riv the flower shot is nice. Very punchy color. Post some more. No idea how to help you with the PS/LR problem. I use the supplied Silkypix to adjust and convert raw. Then open those tifs in PSE9 for resize/crop etc. Silky is beautiful with Q raw.

VisualDarkness that price sounds like a steal! What are you waiting for? The fun can't start untill the Q arrives!
thanks
barondla

10-21-2012, 07:51 AM   #54
Riv

Moved to a different thread. I don't want to keep this one going needlessly.

Last edited by Riv; 10-21-2012 at 03:02 PM.
10-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #55

FWIW, just to update, I sold my RX100 and bought another Q. Ultimately, the IQ on the RX100 is better... And IMO its lens is superb. But I just love shooting the Q; the feel, the flexibility, the way it rewards hard work and well-crafted images is really unique. This system really needs more lenses, but even as is, it's a riot.

Barondla, I tossed up whether to get another Q or wait for the Q10, and I decided to go with the Q. I just love that little magnesium body. I suspect the Q10 will entice due to its focus peaking and better AF, and if IQ takes a noticeable leap I'll probably grab one. But for now, I went with the known choice. The fire-sale prices sure don't hurt, either.
10-23-2012, 09:10 PM   #56
Site Supporter

Ndjedinak, I understand about the Fuji. Could tell in your other post that it was in jeopardy. The Q is so much fun to work with. Don't know any other small camera that is so easy to work with. Easy to see that a real photographer worked on the Q design.

I will probably also buy a second Q. It is such a classic design. Like you, the Q10 could also end up in the bag. Since Pentax has entered the specialty sensor market with the filterless K-5IIS, how about a MONOCHROME Q10? An optimized B&W camera. What a street shooter that would make and people could actually afford it. Please Pentax.
thanks
barondla

Would also love an infrared body.
10-24-2012, 03:46 AM   #57
Veteran Member

Just received my Q double kit and boy it feels solid! I'm charging the battery but the short time I tried it it felt really responsive.
10-25-2012, 06:06 PM   #58

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Ndjedinak, I understand about the Fuji. Could tell in your other post that it was in jeopardy. The Q is so much fun to work with. Don't know any other small camera that is so easy to work with. Easy to see that a real photographer worked on the Q design.

I will probably also buy a second Q. It is such a classic design. Like you, the Q10 could also end up in the bag. Since Pentax has entered the specialty sensor market with the filterless K-5IIS, how about a MONOCHROME Q10? An optimized B&W camera. What a street shooter that would make and people could actually afford it. Please Pentax.
thanks
barondla

Would also love an infrared body.
You mean the RX100

In any case, I agree--the Q was clearly designed by "real photographers" and not just designers. I find it responds very well to traditional photography techniques--to get the best out of it, you really need to push what the sensor can do, which requires a base level of competence. This isn't a good "shoot on full auto" camera, although anyone can start there and grow as their skills allow.

I would go NUTS for a monochrome Q. The Leica Monochrom has proven that there's still a gain from removing the color filter. A Q monochrom would be so fantastic, I'd buy it at (almost) any price.

Really, though, that's perhaps not so likely (although the Q designers already were a little "bleeding edge" by removing the AA filter)... What I'd really like to see are more fast primes. Please. Pretty please. I SO want a fast wide...

Buy a white Q if you can. My 2nd Q is black, and I think the white one is nicer. The front covering is a slightly pearlescent material which isn't so rubbery as the black model, and the gray grip contrasts nicely. Nice to have both