Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2012, 03:28 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Help me pull the trigger on the Q

Hello,

I'm going on a holiday to the Cote d'Azur next week and I'm looking for a camera to take some nice photos because my mobile phone is rubbish at taking good pictures.
After browsing the net the past few days I'm now at a point I can't really see any photography related reviews or technical specifiications anymore. I've got data coming out of my ears
I've narrowed down my choice to the Canon Powershot S100, the Nikon J2, the Olympus E-PM1.

Here's what I really like about the Pentax Q:

- It looks absolutely stunning and a bit crazy, it looks way better any other models I listed (of course subjective)
- The small size and weight. I calculated the Q plus all lenses including the new 06 telephoto lens weigh less than 500 gram.
- I like toys, my inner child says this is a great toy and I should buy it.

I'm planning to use it to make good holiday snapshots mainly and to shoot a bit of video now and then. And also to just play with it at home and outside when I feel like it.
I don't think I will be a carrying a camera around in my daily life. (A wallet, keys and smartphone are enough luggage).

The Q has come down in price: I can get it on sale now with the 01 and 02 lenses for 500 euro.

I'm still looking at the alternatives (mainly the Nikon and Olympus models) since my main hesitation to buy the Q is it's small sensor. But I doubt I will ever need bigger prints than A4 size for photo albums and I'll be looking at the photos on my 1080p TV and computer monitor only. So I'm guessing the IQ will be enough for my needs (?).

There I almost sold it to myself already

Cheers and greetings from Holland

09-15-2012, 04:48 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I justified it based on four main points:
(1) Pinholecam (a user on this site) and others have posted great example photos, some of which are awesome.
(2) ƒ/1.9 with huge DOF means using a bounced flash indoors at ISO 120 with fast recycle rates, few focus errors, and fast shutter speeds.
(3) 06 zoom. Right in my wheelhouse, and I haven't seen a single sample yet.
(4) Adapt my 77mm ƒ/1.8 or 50mm ƒ/1.7 to get over 400mm equivalent reach, extremely fast shutter speeds (due to ƒ/1.7), and use only the center sweet spot of the lens. Particularly in bright light. With huge DOF.
09-15-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Frankly, it sounds like you are a more of a point-and-shoot guy, and don't really need/want to be fussing with changing lenses. So I'd go for the Powershot or one of the others and you'll get fine pics and video. Fuji also has some nice compacts with a huge zoom range. The IQ will be fine with any of them -- choose on the shooting features and size you want to carry around...
09-15-2012, 05:20 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have just ordered the new Q-10 and K-Q adaptor along with the two zooms and fisheye. I'd love to get the 01 prime but as far as I can tell it can only be bought as a kit with the original Q

You have already done an excellent job of justifying it. Getting a funky-looking pocketable camera while simultaneously creating a 560/2.8 and a 1680/4.0 for the cost of an adaptor was enough for me.

09-15-2012, 06:38 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Turbo Elephant Quote
I've narrowed down my choice to the Canon Powershot S100, the Nikon J2, the Olympus E-PM1.
Well, the Q is also f-ing TINY! It will essentially be a (very small) lens with a deck of cards on the back. Compare it to the other cameras on your list on this website.

Is there a place in the Netherlands you can handle these in person? That might make a difference, since the image quality will be roughly equal, but how it feels to use (both to hold and to use the physical dials and digital interface) will determine if you still want to use it when you get back from the south of France.

Oh, and you'll be mobbed by adoring cameraphiles if you shoot with a Pentax Q (particularly on Cap Ferrat)
09-15-2012, 06:48 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
And all reports are that it's fun to shoot--opens new perspectives on photography.
09-15-2012, 07:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Just got one two weeks ago, haven't looked back- my advise get the Q rather than the Q10- 01 prime the better lens than the 02 zoom. If you want the zoom buy both kits and sell the excess body!
Get the 06 if you want some length and the fisheye is a must
And to echo the last post the Q has helped improve my photography more than any lens has.
09-15-2012, 07:30 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Video is pretty good out of the box, i'm planning on doing more once i make time...

Pentax Q and Fisheye (03)

09-16-2012, 12:19 AM   #9
Pentaxian

- It looks absolutely stunning and a bit crazy, it looks way better any other models I listed (of course subjective)
- The small size and weight. I calculated the Q plus all lenses including the new 06 telephoto lens weigh less than 500 gram.
- I like toys, my inner child says this is a great toy and I should buy it.

The Q has come down in price: I can get it on sale now with the 01 and 02 lenses for 500 euro.

But I doubt I will ever need bigger prints than A4 size for photo albums and I'll be looking at the photos on my 1080p TV and computer monitor only. So I'm guessing the IQ will be enough for my needs (?).
You have basically given all the good reasons to get one

IMO, at the end of the day, no matter it being V1/J1; X10; XZ1; etc, they are all small sensor cameras.
They all won't make the cut for pixel peeping and ISO above 800-1600 when compared to APS-C or FF.
They are all good enough for small prints and normal viewing, so instead of thinking that its an uneven playing field due to sensor size, all of them just fall into the same 'good enough' category.
So get the camera that does the job well enough, is different from the rest and fun.

The other upside of the Q is that a portion of the camera cost is saved whenever you upgrade to the next camera body since you keep the lenses, as opposed to throwing everything away for a fixed lens camera; and serious compacts are not really that 'cheap' to throw away.
You also get to add new 'abilities' to the Q as you change lenses. (tele, macro, fisheye, wide, fast lens, etc )
09-16-2012, 01:00 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've been very impressed w/ the pic quality out of this little thing! The Q does very well... and I have to say, in social situations, it's small enough where it does not draw attention to itself at all which allows for more natural candids. Even when you're talking to someone, I've taken pictures of them without them noticing what I was doing! It's so discreet... Plus the deep depth of field really helps in this type of shooting; more often than not when taking candids, people are not posing perpendicular to the lens so keeping everyone in focus is very helpful.

Plus being able to slap on a limited lens using a K to Q adaptor is just awesome... I even used a macro on it the other day and was very impressed w/ being able to take advantage of the 5.5 crop factor. The 105 sigma was basically a 577mm f2.8!!!

But I do have to advise you, if you get the Q, get extra batteries. If I were to take a vacation, I'd want at least 3 charged every day...

Anyways, here are some samples I've taken...

Standard prime @ f2 w/ iso 125

Standard prime @ f1.9 w/ iso 250

portrait taken w/ the standard zoom @ f5.6, fully zoomed @ 15mm (82.5mm equiv) @ iso 320

sigma 105 @ f4 = 577mm!!! This was taken about 2 feet away from the fly; far enough where it didn't get spooked. Also, this was handheld w/ the lens resting on the fence.

09-16-2012, 04:06 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for all your replies

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Frankly, it sounds like you are a more of a point-and-shoot guy, and don't really need/want to be fussing with changing lenses. So I'd go for the Powershot or one of the others and you'll get fine pics and video. Fuji also has some nice compacts with a huge zoom range. The IQ will be fine with any of them -- choose on the shooting features and size you want to carry around...
Fair point but the lenses are small enough to carry along and changing them is easy so I don't see a big problem here. Or I'll just stick with my favourite lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Is there a place in the Netherlands you can handle these in person? That might make a difference, since the image quality will be roughly equal, but how it feels to use (both to hold and to use the physical dials and digital interface) will determine if you still want to use it when you get back from the south of France.
Good suggestion. According to the website of a local camera shop they should have 1 in stock so hopefully I can get my hands on it tomorrow.

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
You have basically given all the good reasons to get one

IMO, at the end of the day, no matter it being V1/J1; X10; XZ1; etc, they are all small sensor cameras.
They all won't make the cut for pixel peeping and ISO above 800-1600 when compared to APS-C or FF.
They are all good enough for small prints and normal viewing, so instead of thinking that its an uneven playing field due to sensor size, all of them just fall into the same 'good enough' category.
So get the camera that does the job well enough, is different from the rest and fun.

The other upside of the Q is that a portion of the camera cost is saved whenever you upgrade to the next camera body since you keep the lenses, as opposed to throwing everything away for a fixed lens camera; and serious compacts are not really that 'cheap' to throw away.
You also get to add new 'abilities' to the Q as you change lenses. (tele, macro, fisheye, wide, fast lens, etc )
Very helpful information thank you. Of course I can always upgrade to APS-C or FF if I feel the quality is lacking for my needs. (In that case I think a ILC with lenses might be easier to sell than just a compact).

QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
I've been very impressed w/ the pic quality out of this little thing! The Q does very well... and I have to say, in social situations, it's small enough where it does not draw attention to itself at all which allows for more natural candids. Even when you're talking to someone, I've taken pictures of them without them noticing what I was doing! It's so discreet... Plus the deep depth of field really helps in this type of shooting; more often than not when taking candids, people are not posing perpendicular to the lens so keeping everyone in focus is very helpful.

Plus being able to slap on a limited lens using a K to Q adaptor is just awesome... I even used a macro on it the other day and was very impressed w/ being able to take advantage of the 5.5 crop factor. The 105 sigma was basically a 577mm f2.8!!!

But I do have to advise you, if you get the Q, get extra batteries. If I were to take a vacation, I'd want at least 3 charged every day...
Wow those are some great shots!

I can buy a kit with a SD card and extra battery so I'll do that if I decide to pull the trigger.

The fact I'm drawn to the Pentax brand might also be nostalgia: my father visited Japan in the late '70s and got an Ahasi Pentax camera there (I think it's a K1000). I remember him using this camera (and his dark room in the attic to develop B & W photos). A lot of family photos have been shot with this Pentax camera. I think he still has his old camera and lenses. It would be really cool if I could put these 30+ year old lenses back to use!

Cheers
09-16-2012, 05:34 AM   #12
Site Supporter

I can buy a kit with a SD card and extra battery so I'll do that if I decide to pull the trigger.

I think he still has his old camera and lenses. It would be really cool if I could put these 30+ year old lenses back to use!
Get the kit, plus the "Fisheye" lens and you'll be good. Keep in mind that the Q has a learning curve, so don't be surprised if your first series of shots are not quite where you want them to be. Keep at it and soon you'll be OK

As to the use of your father's lenses... it's NOT an "if...", but a "when..." once you get an adapter. Better yet, buy him a Q-kit to match yours so he can join you in the fun. Keep in mind, if you use his (say) 100mm lens, you are only getting the 'crop factor' of a 550mm lens. It's still a 100mm lens...

Go for it... M
09-16-2012, 06:55 AM   #13
Pentaxian

...I doubt I will ever need bigger prints than A4 size for photo albums and I'll be looking at the photos on my 1080p TV and computer monitor only. So I'm guessing the IQ will be enough for my needs (?).
If that's your criteria...yes, the Q will serve those needs very well. Some people have compared the Q to the early Leica cameras...and I think that's accurate...not just from a handling point of view, but also from an image quality viewpoint. At the time Leica came along, most "pros" were shooting with pretty large cameras...Speed Graphics and such. Leica looked at the end use of photographs and determined that 35mm was "good enough". I think that's exactly what Pentax did with the Q. Like all cameras, the Q is a tool. And, as such, it's suited for some applications...but not well suited for others. If we were to draw a hard line between "personal enjoyment" vs "professional use", the Q would sit quite nicely at the upper end of "personal use". It's small...it's fun...and it's flexible in the same way big DSLR systems are. If you think of the Q as a Holga/Diana camera with better image IQ and interchangeable lenses...you'll be on the right track to appreciating it.
09-16-2012, 07:15 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Well get yhe Q and 01 lens and if you like a toylens. Basicly that is all you need to get by on a holiday. The Q is excellent on iso125 and like f3.2, that is about the sweetpoint of that camera/lens. Small and lightweight and no fuss on lenses and other things.

We can get it here even for 349 euro with just the No1 lens.
09-16-2012, 10:59 AM   #15

I don't if it helps to pull the trigger, but I like it a lot as a camera for hikes and for the holiday snaps (I use a medium format for landscape). Where about are you in the Netherlands? I live in Veenendaal/.