Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2012, 04:35 AM - 1 Like   #1

Who is this camera for...?

I have read dozens of reviews for the Pentax Q from photography blogs & tech sites, I've watched all the YouTube reviews I can find & I've come to the following conclusions:
  • The Q is really quite an individual/unique system
  • Allot of reviews concentrate on the sensor size and review it from the point of view of a tech junkie or professional photographer
  • They seem to have a huge issue with what they perceive as 'not DSLR quality'...
It has made me think about how I came to choose the Q as my camera - although I do understand that many others have their reasons, here are mine:
  • I have always wanted to take photos in a more creative way.
  • I have owned point and shoot/compact cameras, but never carry them, as either my phone does the same job (with less quality) or I just don't feel its worth carrying for the quality of photos I achieve.
  • I work in a creative industry & while photography is not part of my requirement, it would be a nice addition. Although, non creative photography is very important - site photos, documenting progress etc.
  • One of the modules in my college course (some years ago) was photography - film based... & while I haven't carried any of that learning into my life, I remember fondly the amount of control the lecturers cameras would give us & the fun, creative shots we would achieve while fecking around with them
  • I have wanted to achieve that level of control again, but have felt that a DSLR is just not practical for me... I travel on business allot & there is no way I could manage a DSLR, nor would I want to. Nor would I want to carry something around of that size on any other occassion...
  • I need a camera that is relatively small, very well built, has interchangeable lenses, but most importantly allows me the control I want & the tools to be creative
  • During my search, most shops have been trying to push the Nikon 1 on me, this is not the camera for me. It is the iPod of cameras, takes all the control away from the user, makes their photos look good, makes them look good as they take their photos, but removes all the tools that allow people to be properly creative
  • The Sony NEX cameras are just a bit too phallic and prosumer looking & the Olympus/Samsung/Panasonic just didn't offer the character I was hoping for...
  • The Q is a solid piece of kit, I aim to keep the body for many years & to add lenses as I go. I'll be first in line to get a high quality wide angle lens, when/if they release it.
  • I feel comfortable carrying the Q around & don't feel foolish as I would carrying a pro camera without the ability or skill to carry it off.
  • I can be proud to have my Q out at professional meetings, social occasions, or just randomly on the street & it looks the part for each of those events.
  • I'm not concerned about the perceived lack of image size, or the small sensor - the images I want to produce will be a little creative and will rarely get printed. I have no plan to ever sell a photo or to sell my photographic services professionally
To sum up... The Q is for me... It is in budget, offers the longevity I seek, looks good and takes great photos, while offering me the creative tools I need.

Having seen the new Q10, I have allot of faith in the Q system. I can see it becoming a cult classic & will hopefully sell enough to allow them to develop more lenses and accessories. As others have suggested, I can imagine a higher end body being released to complement the Q10 and hopefully bring a wider range of consumers to the system.

Those who judge it based purely on figures and compare it directly to 4 3rds and NEX cameras, fail to see it as an truly individual and unique system.

09-16-2012, 12:24 PM   #2

I would just say that to my mind, the Q is spiritually linked to the Contax G series. Individual. Unique. Aimed at the Highest-Common-Denominator.
09-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The Q is just a bad ass camera, the original Q will be a classic, I'm sure it was a huge success in japan. Aki-asahi makes leathers for it, ms-optical made a lens for it, cant get that dude to make a lens for anything but leica mount, the leowe fancy shmancy kits with the special "italy" filters, tons and tons of adapters for it... One time when I was at Mt. Tamalpais here in the SF Bay I had a japanese tourist stop me to play with my Q and they def new what it was ( I was an early adopter and this was like the first month it was out) the only thing I can understand them say was "PENTAX AQUAAA!!!". I'm not even gonna lie, I love to walk around SF, Oakland, Berkeley, stoned and bar hopping while I street photographize, nothing better than the Q, need no bag to knock my balance off (like I said I drink and smoke ganja) it's small and discreet as I walk ruff neighborhoods, easy to always have in my hand. It has been seriously regulated to strictly street use, when I get the Q to K mount adapter I'll be trying my luck at some tele and macro work. I cant wait to start photography school, I'm gonna want to use the Q for some journalist projects.

People give it a hard time but a l lot of people are internet photographers, they don't print anything up, at the size I'm printing right now I cant tell the difference between any of my cameras (but I can tell the IQ difference when looking on my mac screen) besides the film shots as in if I look real close I can see the grain... It's hilarious actually, I wonder how many people who are buying the D800 printing up billboard size images, where are they putting em????
09-16-2012, 10:09 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bluefoam Quote
To sum up... The Q is for me... It is in budget, offers the longevity I seek, looks good and takes great photos, while offering me the creative tools I need.

Having seen the new Q10, I have allot of faith in the Q system. I can see it becoming a cult classic & will hopefully sell enough to allow them to develop more lenses and accessories. As others have suggested, I can imagine a higher end body being released to complement the Q10 and hopefully bring a wider range of consumers to the system.

Those who judge it based purely on figures and compare it directly to 4 3rds and NEX cameras, fail to see it as an truly individual and unique system.
You've certainly sum it up well.
Almost like the words you could put in a Q Ad in a magazine.

I too believe it will become a cult classic when the latest/greatest of its pns contemporaries have long faded into obscurity or in their ver.20 of the same old thing.

09-16-2012, 10:42 PM   #5
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I had a Q but I had my reasons for parting company. Funny thing is... "it" won't let go! So (knowing by experience "what it's all about") I bought another one. White this time. It really is an incredible camera - in the sense it epitomizes what photography is all about - the joy capturing the moment!

Those who dismiss the Q have not the faintest idea as to what they are missing out on.