Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2012, 04:42 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Photokina and the Q

Hello all,

I went to Photokina yesterday, and obviously I visited the Pentax stand. Here's the questions I asked on the Q and a summary of the "answers" I got. There may be some overlap with the pentaxforums interview, not sure (though I did watch it two days ago).

The difference between the Q and the Q10 is still not completely clear to me. I asked but Pentax staff couldn't show me comparison prints. The Q10 felt heavier, and was a bit thicker than my Q, though we're talking fractions of millimeters probably. I was a bit more responsive, but the overall feel was very similar. Most important was that the firmware that was installed included focus peaking. I hadn't seen that before, and I must say it works very nicely. I does make a difference with manual focus. If only this could be in a firmware upgrade in the Q, though I'm not expecting this.

I asked explicitely about the adapter that was on show without the tripod mount. The showcase had a Q10 + adapter + FA50/1.4, so the contacts were not visible. The pentax staff wanted to take it out for me, but returned saying it wouldn't be possible. Apparently it had been taken out the day before, so someone did get a closer look. Someone here? The guy I talked to did tell me there were no contacts and that the focal length would have to be selected on the body, same as with manual lenses on the DSLRs. I asked whether the Q would get a firmware upgrade to include this possibility. The answer I got was that Ricoh has a tradition in bringing new features to older cameras much more than Pentax, and as such we should "normally" see such an upgrade. Hardly a concrete confirmation of course...

Anyway, I was told the adapter would be available in October for the price of EUR 250 I think (but we knew that already didn't we?). I asked about the (optional) tripod mount (the adapter had a visible attachment for this), but couldn't get a clear answer on that. They couldn't tell me whether it would be a separated accessory and what it would cost in that case, but I got the impression that Pentax might just as well still decide to include it in the standard package? Not counting on that though.

I briefly played with the 06 lens, which looked very nice. It's very similar to the 02 zoom. A bit large for me (I have the 01) but I think it will make for a great 2 zoom kit.

It was great to see Pentax continue to support the Q system. The Q was more present than the K-01, even if the main tendency on this year's Photokina seemed to be designer cameras (a trend Pentax was among the first to launch).

Funny sidenote to finish. When I was trying the Leica X2 Edition Paul Smith (Leica's designer camera), I took a picture of it using my Q (which has a Leitz viewfinder, a Gordy's strap, and a Manfrotto Pocket Mini mounted). The Leica guy showing us the X2 looked at the Q in amazement. Esp after he showed the cool pop-up flash in the designer X2, which I bettered by popping up the flash out of my tiny Q. It was all very friendly, and I'm sure the Leica guy was going to google this Pentax Q right after his shift. He clearly had never seen anything like it!

Wim

Last edited by Ishpuini; 09-24-2012 at 05:11 AM.
09-24-2012, 04:53 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Most important was that the firmware that was installed included focus peaking. I hadn't seen that before, and I must say it works very nicely.
Why hasn't that been mentioned by anyone else? (including Pentax!) This is the feature that will put a Q in my pocket (or rather, at the end of my 150-500mm), but due to the cloudiness of details on the Q10, I am still not certain focus peaking will be in the production cameras!

(Gah! It's like the # of raw files the k-5 could shoot in continuous mode...)
09-24-2012, 04:58 AM   #3
Site Supporter

I'm sure the Leica guy was going to google this Pentax Q right after his shift. He clearly had never seen anything like it!
Just had to LOL...

Great 'critter specific' and upbeat report.... Thank you for taking the time to share...

Cheers... M
09-24-2012, 06:15 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Great post Ishpuini! Love the extra details you dug up. Surprising that a less expensive, less ruggedly constructed camera would weigh more. Guess the Q magnesium is hard to beat for weight. Is the Q10 size that much bigger in actual use- do you notice it?

Leica story is funny. Wouldn't it be great if Leica woked with Pentax to make their own version of the Q? Imagine what a couple of Leica fast primes for the Q would be like. Wow.

Hope you are right about Oct. release of adapter.
thanks
barondla

09-24-2012, 06:33 AM   #5

Any chance Pentax will update the firmware for the Q, to add the new auto-focus algorithm and possibly the battery life improvements... The focus peaking would be cool too... I still wonder if they are letting Q stocks run down & then discontinue it. I could imagine a new high end body with higher features and spec to sit beside the Q10 in the lineup.
09-24-2012, 08:15 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Great post Ishpuini! Love the extra details you dug up. Surprising that a less expensive, less ruggedly constructed camera would weigh more. Guess the Q magnesium is hard to beat for weight. Is the Q10 size that much bigger in actual use- do you notice it?
It was an impression. I didn't actually strip all accessories off my Q to compare, so my conclusion may be flawed. The size difference was striking when the two cameras were side to side, esp from the top. Note however that I compared a red Q10 to my black Q. A different colour can create the impression of a size difference as well and/or increase the effect of an actual difference.

Leica story is funny. Wouldn't it be great if Leica worked with Pentax to make their own version of the Q? Imagine what a couple of Leica fast primes for the Q would be like. Wow.
Indeed such primes would be cool, but I would prefer a few additions to the Q system from Pentax itself (esp a wide prime).

Hope you are right about Oct. release of adapter.
I hope so too. It's not the first time I am given a date that couldn't be met though...

thanks
barondla
My pleasure,

Wim
09-24-2012, 08:32 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Thanks for the info! Focus peaking on the Q is a definite win - that's one camera I'd just use manual focus on all the time.
09-24-2012, 09:40 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Hi Wim,

Thanks!

Focus peaking would be very nice, but perhaps not possible, since it is apparently sensor dependent. It's possible that the updated sensor in the Q10 is capable, but not the one in the original Q. We can hope. . . and hope they indeed start shipping the adapter next month. I assume that the firmware will be released at about the same time the adapter is, so we should see what it brings soon. . .or not. . .

Great report for the Q-centric!

Scott

09-24-2012, 12:55 PM   #9
Zou

Hmm, hope the peaking makes it into the shipping firmware, that would make a major difference for me.
09-24-2012, 01:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

<Inappropriate drivel edited by mods>

To stay on topic though excited to see this feature, will def be picking one up if it has focus peaking...

Last edited by Parallax; 09-25-2012 at 11:01 AM.
09-24-2012, 01:24 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by bmonki Quote
<Inappropriate drivel edited by mods>
To stay on topic though excited to see this feature, will def be picking one up if it has focus peaking...
Harsh

Last edited by Parallax; 09-25-2012 at 11:01 AM.
09-24-2012, 01:29 PM   #12
Site Supporter

(edited) the questions that he chose to ask were beyond stupid and a waste of time, like "de cripple the K mount" seriously it's not 1978 anymore you can change aperture in camera, "can flash of 1/2000 be implemented in the K5 like the Q", (edited)? Basic questions he could of asked here instead of wasting time asking irrelevant questions that make no sense in technical or business sense, he didnt even find out the new Q10 had focus peaking one of the biggest things people wanted to see in the Q. I swear pentax forums will be the death of pentax...

With all due respect, you seem quite misguided.

Why would anyone ask a question about a product thats going to be released in the coming months.

The point of the interview was to ask about the potential future of the Pentax company.

You might scoff at the de-crippled K-mount question but just now, a thread has popped up with the desire to push this forward. You might also scoff at the flash speed issue - an issue raised by all; why is the flash sync speed capped at 1/180 when the competitors can go faster.

Also, there's the simple fact that the questions raised during the interview were some raised by the PF community.

Last edited by Blue; 09-25-2012 at 01:08 PM. Reason: bmonki's language
09-24-2012, 05:19 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
With all due respect, you seem quite misguided.

Why would anyone ask a question about a product thats going to be released in the coming months.

The point of the interview was to ask about the potential future of the Pentax company.

You might scoff at the de-crippled K-mount question but just now, a thread has popped up with the desire to push this forward. You might also scoff at the flash speed issue - an issue raised by all; why is the flash sync speed capped at 1/180 when the competitors can go faster.

Also, there's the simple fact that the questions raised during the interview were some raised by the PF community.
<Again>

Last edited by Parallax; 09-25-2012 at 10:57 AM.
09-24-2012, 05:31 PM   #14
Veteran Member

...It was great to see Pentax continue to support the Q system. ...
That has got to be an understatement.
The least Pentax can do is do is come up with a firmware upgrade on the Q to address some of the issues with the camera. Lest we be all starry eyed and mesmerised by the color variation available with the Q10, unless there is some assurance of firmware upgrades down the road, potential Q10 owners look likely to be shafted just like current Q owners. Frankly I've just about given up on Pentax...
09-24-2012, 05:34 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Nikon max flash sync 1/300 canon max flash sync is 1/200... 1/2000 seems like a big jump doesn't it, they ****ing laughed when they were asked the questioned thats how stupid it was,I understand the crippled k mount as I'm a manual film shooter, but film is not a viable market for a little company like Pentax where aps-c is the main format, why bother adding aperture ring when you cant shoot em on a film camera anyways. Sorry to say but the products announced are the future of Pentax, all they had to do was bring up the menu on the q10 to see if there was focus peaking which means they probably went in there blinded with fx fantasies and didn't bother to fully check out the new products, Which leads into shitty journalism by the biggest Pentax fan site on the net.
As you say, all they had to do was bring up the menu on the Q10 - which they can do outside of the interview as the camera was available to play with on the showroom floor. And they very well did play with it at the Pentax booth. Focus peaking was not mentioned - which it would've been especially if they were playing with the AF of the camera.

So does that make you in anyway happy or grateful to the efforts and time spent by the people who work on this fan site? Or are you going to continue complaining because your single question wasn't asked during an inappropriate time?