Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Mazda uses Ford engines.
- and some of the Ford engines Mazda use are actually Peugeot engines

09-25-2012, 02:20 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
In the Photokina Q thread by Ishpuini, he played with the Q10 and was surprised to find it had focus peaking.
Really? It would be nice if that was listed among the specs and differences from version #1. If true, I'll definitely be getting one as long as it still works with the K-mount adapter, but I'll still probably wait and see the tests from the new sensor.
09-25-2012, 02:27 PM   #18
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
They can add peaking as did Sony to the NEX. Adding more magnification/cropping to the manual focus assist would be very helpful too.
09-25-2012, 02:32 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
In the Photokina Q thread by Ishpuini, he played with the Q10 and was surprised to find it had focus peaking.

Toshiba and Aptina have also built backlit sensors. Haven't checked mp and stuff. Could be other companies as well. May be someone Ricoh is used to working with.
Samsung have the technology, they are using a 1/1.7" 12.4mp backlit in their new advanced compact, but I didn't see a 1/2.3" in their other bodies.

Does Ricoh get all their sensors from Sony? They've had focus peaking for some time now.

09-25-2012, 02:37 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Samsung have the technology, they are using a 1/1.7" 12.4mp backlit in their new advanced compact, but I didn't see a 1/2.3" in their other bodies.

Does Ricoh get all their sensors from Sony? They've had focus peaking for some time now.
Don't think it has anything to do with the sensor -- it is strictly software working with pixels in memory AFAIK. You can do it in photoshop with any image -- it is just measuring contrast.

Last edited by vonBaloney; 09-25-2012 at 05:59 PM.
09-25-2012, 04:15 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Don't think it has anything to do with the sensor -- it is strictly software working with pixels in memory ASAIK. You can do it in photoshop with any image -- it is just measuring contrast.
If that's correct, then it better be in the Q10.
09-25-2012, 05:14 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Don't think it has anything to do with the sensor -- it is strictly software working with pixels in memory ASAIK.
Yep, that's right. It's an image processor thing (layering a contrast-highlight display on top of the live view, in real time), so it doesn't really matter which sensor is behind it...

Also, I've been so confused by the "is there focus peaking, or isn't there?" with the Q10 that today I emailed a Pentax rep in our area on his personal email (which I rarely would ever do). Hopefully he's can provide some info that is a bit more official, since they probably have pre-production Q10's in their office by now!

Oh yeah, and I owned a "Subaru" in France that was actually a Suzuki body with a GM engine connected to a Subaru drivetrain. All put together in Hungary!

Last edited by panoguy; 09-25-2012 at 05:19 PM.
09-25-2012, 06:01 PM   #23
Forum Member

Digital Camera Info. lists focus peaking as one of the features of the Q10.

Pentax Q10 First Impressions Review - DigitalCamerainfo.com

09-25-2012, 06:36 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Maybe back to Samsung?
09-25-2012, 06:47 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by csbtrod Quote
Digital Camera Info. lists focus peaking as one of the features of the Q10.

Pentax Q10 First Impressions Review - DigitalCamerainfo.com
Sure enough... strange that very few folks saw that feature in the camera. Focus peaking isn't in the Q10's published specs (press release) from Pentax, but long-time Pentaxians know that kind of numbskull oversight is almost to be expected. Maybe the engineers were working on it until the night before Photokina, and the show staff only loaded that firmware onto a single (red) prototype?

Anyhow, that same site does a pretty good (and very positive) review of the K-5 II as well!
09-26-2012, 01:11 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hello all,

Just to make things clear. The Q10 shown at Photokina (a red one ) had a menu entry that required activation in order to enable focus peaking. I don't remember what it was called, but my friend (who was the one who found it, not me; I was asking about the adapter while he played with the Q10) showed it to me and demonstrated the difference when focusing manually. I observed the in-focus zones showing drastically increased contrast (almost embossed) with the focus peaking activated. It worked really well.

I agree that it's probably just a filter (only enhancing contrast in the zones with most initial micro contrast) being applied onto the image registered by the sensor. Of course, it needs to be done live and there's no telling whether the original Q's processor would be fast/powerful enough to do the necessary calculations in real time (on top of JPG settings/art filters)?

Wim