Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The new Q10 sensor.

Just heard there is a new sensor supplier for the Q10! Sony was the previous supplier for the original Q. Any idea who else makes sensors this size? Lately I have considered Sony as the top quality sensor builder in the world. If someone (excepting Sony) manages to beat the original Q sensor in IQ, I would consider it quite a feat.
thanks
barondla

09-24-2012, 11:12 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Just heard there is a new sensor supplier for the Q10! Sony was the previous supplier for the original Q. Any idea who else makes sensors this size? Lately I have considered Sony as the top quality sensor builder in the world. If someone (excepting Sony) manages to beat the original Q sensor in IQ, I would consider it quite a feat.
thanks
barondla
Yes, the info about the "improved" sensor seems quite mysterious. I've been thinking of getting a Q, which would still be a few months off I think, so I'll be waiting to see some tests on this new sensor to see if IQ is improved or not. Where the sensor comes from doesn't seem to be a secret with any other camera -- anyone know about this?
09-25-2012, 04:45 AM   #3

The sensor supplier issue was a big secret, and thus became a big spectacle, with the Olympus E-M5.

I had hoped it would have stayed a secret. Olympus's official stance was there was a lot more to a camera than the sensor. I like that thinking.

Eventually, word got out though. Yep, Sony.
09-25-2012, 08:03 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The Q10 is using a backlit 1/2.3" sensor. It is unfathomable to me that it would be anything but another Sony.

09-25-2012, 08:45 AM   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I think camera makers are going to start trying to keep the sensor manufacturer a secret. If Pentax (or Nikon, or Canon.......) openly state that they use a Sony sensor, some people would think "well, I might as well just but a Sony".
Dodge uses a Cummins diesel in their pickups, and they can get away with it because there is no such thing as a Cummins brand pickup; but suppose Dodge started putting Ford motors in their trucks and then advertised it.......
Yeah, there's more to a camera than the sensor, but the sensor is the heart and more than any other factor with the exception of the lens, determines the quality of the picture; so why advertise or even admit that you are using one made by a competitor?
09-25-2012, 08:58 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I think camera makers are going to start trying to keep the sensor manufacturer a secret. If Pentax (or Nikon, or Canon.......) openly state that they use a Sony sensor, some people would think "well, I might as well just but a Sony".
Dodge uses a Cummins diesel in their pickups, and they can get away with it because there is no such thing as a Cummins brand pickup; but suppose Dodge started putting Ford motors in their trucks and then advertised it.......
Yeah, there's more to a camera than the sensor, but the sensor is the heart and more than any other factor with the exception of the lens, determines the quality of the picture; so why advertise or even admit that you are using one made by a competitor?
Nikon always tries to let on it designed the (Sony) sensor.

Mazda uses Ford engines.

Last edited by audiobomber; 09-25-2012 at 09:48 AM.
09-25-2012, 09:34 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Nikon always tries to let on it designed the (Sony) sensor.

Mazdas uses Ford engines.
Toyota car had a Yamaha motor in it. Try selling that to people. A "motorcycle" engine in a car. Also remember when GM got into trouble for charging extra for engines that didn't say that brand on them.

So is Sony the only one who makes a backlit sensor this size? Still can't see them investing money to build new 12mp sensor. That train already left the station. Samsung might make one but after Pentax admitted they used poor one in K7, can't see them getting along well. The truth is out there.
thanks
barondla
09-25-2012, 09:38 AM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Mazdas uses Ford engines.
Perhaps. Many manufactures over the years have used engines made by others, but they don't advertise it or try to use it as a selling point. Not much can be kept secret any more.

Last edited by Parallax; 09-25-2012 at 09:45 AM.
09-25-2012, 09:44 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Yeah, but I heard the same thing -- the new sensor is from a "different supplier", which means either that's a lie or it can't be Sony. Isn't Fuji also supposed to make great sensors?
09-25-2012, 09:56 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Toyota car had a Yamaha motor in it. Try selling that to people. A "motorcycle" engine in a car. Also remember when GM got into trouble for charging extra for engines that didn't say that brand on them.

So is Sony the only one who makes a backlit sensor this size? Still can't see them investing money to build new 12mp sensor. That train already left the station.
I think the backlit technology is propagating. I couldn't find a Sony 12.4mp backlit, so I guess it is from a different manufacturer. I agree with you that Sony would have no interest in 12mp now, they are far more interested in the pixel wars.
09-25-2012, 01:29 PM   #11
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

The Q intrigued me from the beginning, but this new version really has my attention. After looking at quite a few sample images I had decided that I could live with the noise levels, especially after using Topaz Denoise on some of them. If this new sensor is better than the current version in that respect, it's the cream rising to the top and I may not be able to resist. If it does in fact have focus peaking as well, it's a done deal.
09-25-2012, 01:53 PM   #12
Pentaxian

If it does in fact have focus peaking as well, it's a done deal.
It doesn't, from all accounts.
09-25-2012, 02:04 PM   #13
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Certainly not a deal breaker.
09-25-2012, 02:06 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Certainly not a deal breaker.
Yeah, annoying though. It should be standard on all models going forward.
09-25-2012, 02:09 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
In the Photokina Q thread by Ishpuini, he played with the Q10 and was surprised to find it had focus peaking.

Toshiba and Aptina have also built backlit sensors. Haven't checked mp and stuff. Could be other companies as well. May be someone Ricoh is used to working with.

Parallax it is time to jump in. Q noise isn't so bad at lower ISOs. Higher ISO can be very nice looking for certain subjects.
thanks
barondla