Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2012, 05:22 AM - 1 Like   #1

Another new "Q" user

Just got my hands on this little gem and all I can say is WOW! I was aware of the smallish sensor and based on the somewhat unfavorable reviews upon it's launch and high price tag roughly a year ago, I decided i'd pass. My first real digital camera was the original Pentax Optio S which I adored to bits, it was tiny and well made. Brought it with me everywhere. A dozen cameras later and In the last year i've been using the Canon S95, Panasonic LX-3, and now the Olympus XZ-1. I've been meaning to step up to a mirrorless setup but couldn't really commit to any platform yet...I needed baby steps. I was very close to buying into the M4/3 setups (GF-1, then GX-1) and NEX 5n...looking at both heavily...and I still couldn't commit. With bodies and lenses attached they were still too big.

I'd never really seriously considered the Pentax Q until the Q10 showed up last week...I did a ton of research, watched every single youtube video and review online, visited these forums, and I felt that there was something to this little camera. The DxOMark results sort of cemented my deal...that and the dramatic price drops in recent weeks. Even though it's a small sensor, it's a really really good, state-of-the art small sensor. I've been able to coax some really clean sharp shots from it sooc and i'd have to say it provides results as good or even better than any camera i've owned. And the Q handles brilliantly...I want to take it with me everywhere, it has that certain magic, appeal, that makes me want to get up and start taking photos!

It all goes to show you really can't read much into a lot of the reviews that came out upon the Q's launch...some reviewers and tech journalists just don't get it and are stuck on the sensor size. After seeing a lot of the samples on this forum, seeing it for the photography tool that it is and what it's really capable of, I knew it'd be a good choice. Hoping to learn more from this forum and I can't wait for the new lenses to come out!

09-28-2012, 06:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard! Very glad you like the Q, it's n attractive offering - particularly with the new Pentax K-Q converter and the ability to use so many existing Pentax lenses.
09-29-2012, 08:34 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Glad you joined the Q forum Pico! Can't wait to see some images. Enjoy the Q!
Remember the Optio S. It fit in an Altoids tin and was wildly popular. Wow, the Q is a blimp compared to the Optio S! They should have never ended that line.

Agree that the Q got roughed up in so many reviews. Luckily it is a tough little guy and has come back stronger than ever. My favorite Q reviews are by Blunty3000, Wouter Brandmas, and our own pinholecam.
thanks and have fun with the Q
barondla
09-29-2012, 01:07 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Hi Pico,

Welcome to the forum!

I think most of the members that post here have discovered that the Q offers more than the Pro reviewers on the internet and elsewhere seem to have seen in it.

I agree with barondla that they shouldn't have ended the Optio S line -- Think of what adding a new generation BSI CMOS sensor would have done for a lot of the unique older ultra compact designs. . .

Congrats on the newly acquired Q and for having the vision to see beyond the reviews and use your own eyes to make your decision. Look forward to seeing some of your work.

Scott

09-30-2012, 02:02 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the Q family. It is a great lil gem of a camera.
09-30-2012, 02:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi Pico,

Welcome to the forum!

I think most of the members that post here have discovered that the Q offers more than the Pro reviewers on the internet and elsewhere seem to have seen in it.
A gem it is indeed - it really grows on you. I mean, I was smitten when I saw it, but getting one and seeing how it changes photography to have a camera so small you always have it with you, and with such versatility and IQ....

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
I agree with barondla that they shouldn't have ended the Optio S line -- Think of what adding a new generation BSI CMOS sensor would have done for a lot of the unique older ultra compact designs. . .
Not so sure about that. I stopped with Optio's after the S4, as I found the quality just unsatisfactory and found myself unable to use the photos for anything. Not the optical quality, mind you, but the jpeg compression was horrible (Olympus was much much better), and the compacts of the day didn't offer RAW.....

To this day, I do not trust Pentax' jpeg-engine, even in my DSLRs or the Q.
02-16-2013, 08:36 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I am slowly realizing that this camera takes some work. Particularly with low light shots, you really can't treat it like a point and shoot. My LX5 will really adapt to whatever I want to do, and takes terrific jpegs no matter what, but the Q is a lot more finicky. I absolutely adore the camera (it's more fun than my k-01, which I also love) but it definitely takes more thought. I hope to get better with it, and I do wish I had the prime lens in addition to the standard zoom.
02-17-2013, 06:53 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the fun and enjoy your Q

Hans