Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2012, 11:25 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Interval shooting

I tried the interval shooting yesterday. I set the number of shots to 5 and interval to 1sec. I started the process. It took 3 pics. then I tried for 10 shots...it took 7...

Third time I put 2 secs interval and 5 shots: It took 5 pics, same 2 secs interval with 10 shots resulted in 10 pics.

All shots in Raw.

I am thinking that my SD card or the SD interface on the camera might not be fast enough...What do you think?

Card is a Patriot Memory EP (Class 10) 32gb.

Marc-Antoine

Last edited by mamethot; 10-03-2012 at 11:52 AM.
10-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I tried as well and got similar results. I used a class10 card.
10-03-2012, 11:55 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I just shot 300 pictures in jpg and they are all accounted for. Interval was 12 seconds though.

I think it has to do with the writing speed of the camera plus the fact that I was shooting Raw.
10-03-2012, 01:23 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter

I have done a bit of work with this and was also having failure. I then had another read of the manual. As I was shooting long exposures I discovered a problem, well not a problem, but. The interval time must be longer than the exposure time for a start. Say you have an exposure time of 30 seconds, star trails, then the interval time must be longer than 30 seconds, say 31. The interval is counted from shutter release start to shutter release start, hence the 31 or more. The second consideration is that the camera must have finished writing the file. In other words if you have any processing turned on, noise reduction etc. the camera will take time to write the file. I don't have any processing turned on. Also if the card is a little slow accepting the file this also contributes to the interval time.

Now if you have a very short shutter speed this should mean that you can have an interval very close to, but slightly longer than this speed, which shouldn't be a problem as the interval speed is counted in seconds. I expect most cards shouldn't be a problem in write speeds with fast shutter speeds. Check that all internal file processing is turned off, otherwise take a single shot and watch the time it takes the orange light on the rear of the camera to finish. the time it takes to write the file to the card must be added to the shutter time to calculate the minimum interval time.

My problems are due to the long exposures shooting at night, although because the stacking program only takes jpg files I shoot in jpg when doing star trails.

Hope this helps.

10-03-2012, 02:59 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
AussieTrev that's very good information! Thank you!

Marc-Antoine
10-03-2012, 06:26 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
AussieTrev that's very good information! Thank you!

Marc-Antoine
Page 152 of the K-5 manual, page 108 of the K-01 manual and 123 of the K30. The Q manual is 113. Also with the K30 and the Q there is interval movie shooting, which allows interval shooting that then exports it as a movie. Haven't tried that mode yet, but look forward to trying it.
10-04-2012, 01:26 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery
Try to format ur memory more often using ur camera. Formating as often as possible will keep memory card working fast as new
10-04-2012, 08:29 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I tried formatting, a couple of times even. It still takes 6-7 seconds to save Raw+ images on the card. Not stellar performance in my opinion. I have to try another card...

10-04-2012, 05:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I tried formatting, a couple of times even. It still takes 6-7 seconds to save Raw+ images on the card. Not stellar performance in my opinion. I have to try another card...
I wrote extensively about memory card speed on this site a couple of years ago. If you haven't read my post, check it out:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/111234-sdhc-speed-class.html
10-04-2012, 06:50 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just read your post and found it informative, thanks.

I was excited about the Q when I bought it. Maybe I got carried away and did not shop long enough for cards...

I did not read too many reviews. I simply tried to find a card with a good write performance. I thought that "up to 35MB/sec write" was pretty good performance and I did not put much attention to the " (Speed is based on internal testing on SD 3.0 and UHS-I mode environment)" note.

Mention of the UHS-1 was a good thing, or so I thought. I don't think that the Q supports UHS-I (can't find it in the literature or the Pentax websites).

Here is more on the subject

From what I read on that site, an UHS-I class 10 card should support up to 23 MB/s write speed.

How long does it take on your Qs to save one Raw file? It seems to take at least 5 seconds on mine.
10-04-2012, 07:35 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How long does it take on your Qs to save one Raw file? It seems to take at least 5 seconds on mine.
My SanDisk Ultra II SDHC 16GB Class 4 card writes a RAW file on my Q in a little over 3 seconds.
10-20-2012, 08:43 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I went to my Pentax dealer this AM and I was able to test many cards in my own Q and in the dealers demo unit. We tried 4gb, 8gb and 32gb cards, two class 6, two (8 and 32gb) class 10.

We were never able to get better results than 6-7 seconds for saving a raw image. The same cards were used on a K-30 and a K-5 and were blazing fast.

I thought I'd let people know, this is not a defect, it seems to be the usual value. Of course JPEGS are much smaller and faster to save.