Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2012, 12:08 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Purple Haze

Hi everyone, as much as I love the Pentax Q it really doesn't like shooting in to the sun as you can see from these photos, a purple glare appears that kind of ruins most of the shots. I've never known a camera as bad as this for this, could it be a fault?

Last edited by neilfuller; 11-05-2012 at 03:53 PM.
10-07-2012, 12:30 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I've heard Iphone 5 has the same "unique" feature.

Last edited by VladimirYo; 10-07-2012 at 03:35 AM.
10-07-2012, 12:34 AM   #3

Original Poster
Strange cos the 4s doesn't do that, cracking camera phone
10-07-2012, 12:36 AM   #4

Tonight's headline:

"Apple patents the colour purple, sues Pentax."

You're holding it wrong.

10-07-2012, 03:15 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

I'm not sure how serious is your OP. It is flare, lens-dependant, and if you haven't seen worse, go check out single coated or uncoated lenses. In these images it looks quite well controlled considering you used the fisheye lens, which, as far as I'm concerned, is a toy lens, so it is actually excusable.
P.S. Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
10-07-2012, 03:27 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
I'm not sure how serious is your OP. It is flare, lens-dependant, and if you haven't seen worse, go check out single coated or uncoated lenses. In these images it looks quite well controlled considering you used the fisheye lens, which, as far as I'm concerned, is a toy lens, so it is actually excusable.
P.S. Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Exactly what I was thinking! Is your car a bad car because you keep skidding on word-down tires?
10-07-2012, 09:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

To the original poster, you might have oil on the lens coating or even a bad copy of the 03 lens. I have many shots into the sun like that and have never seen it like that!
10-07-2012, 10:10 AM   #8

Original Poster
Here's the thing I have the standard prime and the zoom and all three are the same in direct sunlight, I've been using DSLRS for years and have never seen this before

10-07-2012, 11:39 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by neilfuller Quote
Hi everyone, as much as I love the Pentax Q it really doesn't like shooting in to the sun as you can see from these photos, a purple glare appears that kind of ruins most of the shots. I've never known a camera as bad as this for this, could it be a fault?
Looks to me like an internal reflection, some sort of interaction between the placement and coating of a lens element and the sensor. I've seen something similar in an early DSLR. Not much to be done about it in terms of prevention. It could well be that this was a design compromise forced by a combination of the compact body and a need to keep things affordable.

A quick fix might be to use the hue/saturation function in an image editor, select the colour of the problem area, and either desaturate or change the hue to something less noticeable. The purple colour is quite distinctive, so you can probably get rid of it without serious effects on the rest of the image.
10-07-2012, 11:47 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Hi Neil,

Direct sunlight and shooting into the sun are really two different things -- the first is probably the most common shot, but the second is relatively rare -- but I'm not trying to nitpick terms. . .

It really only takes minor PP to fix this -- a few seconds per image with the clone brush in "Color" mode. If you take high percentage of shots with the sun in the frame and this annoys you to the point where this overrides the advantages of shooting the Q for you, then this camera is probably not for you.

I have lenses that cost multiple thousands of dollars that show lateral CA and PF on occasion, and though it's annoying, they are the best I can buy for my application and platform. Rather than let these occasions ruin my enjoyment of using these lenses, I choose to accept these limitations and deal with the aberrations in PP when they do occur. Apart from this "problem", which only occurs when I am faced with conditions that push the lenses past their design parameters, these lenses perform superbly -- which is the great majority of the time.

The Q is the smallest, lightest, least conspicuous (and probably at least one of the cheapest) alternatives that allows you to shoot with a fisheye perspective in addition to "normally". My suggestion would be to deal with it in PP when it occurs and move on and go out and take some more pics.

Scott
10-07-2012, 07:37 PM   #11

Wow. I'm an old film shooter, and think those all look fine to me. Flare is just something to deal with when shooting in the sun, eh?

Your Q does better than mine--shooting with the 01 or 02, especially, I get a crazy sensor-bloom..

I call it a "feature."
10-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the help and advice, and all things taken into consideration a little bit of purple here and there is a small price to pay for the fact that the Q has rekindled my passion for photography. A bit of PP in Aperture pretty much fixes things, Neil