Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2012, 07:23 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Schneider Kreuznach Cinegon 11.5/1.9, but no Q

Hi, I pulled the trigger this Schneider Kreuznach Cinegon 11,5mm F1.9 in C-mount (I hope it's correct) but I don't have a Q yet but I'm pretty sure that I'll get one soon. I recieved the lens today and boy it's sturdy and quite heavy and not in as bad shape as I thought based on the description. Was this a bad, brutal or actually pretty good choice considering that all other listings I've seen is about four times that price? Is it really C-mount and not CS?

10-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It looks like a little cleaning will make it fine. The only thing annoying is that little hair inside on one of the elements and I'm a bit curious to see of the white areas on the outer rim of the front lens will affect contrast and flare due to reflection. It looks like air bubbles in glue or something but nothing between the lenses, normal?

Also, can you confirm the mount?

Name:  _IGP9043.jpg
Views: 1098
Size:  118.2 KB

Name:  _IGP9045.jpg
Views: 1113
Size:  120.0 KB

Name:  _IGP9047.jpg
Views: 1043
Size:  139.7 KB

Name:  _IGP9049.jpg
Views: 1009
Size:  136.1 KB

Name:  _IGP9050.jpg
Views: 1034
Size:  142.8 KB

Name:  _IGP9051.jpg
Views: 1055
Size:  173.0 KB

Name:  _IGP9052.jpg
Views: 1015
Size:  45.4 KB

Name:  _IGP9053.jpg
Views: 1002
Size:  78.8 KB

Name:  _IGP9055.jpg
Views: 1007
Size:  86.2 KB

Name:  _IGP9056.jpg
Views: 994
Size:  82.4 KB
10-08-2012, 03:36 PM   #3

As you may know, CS and C have the same size screw, and it's the distance from the lens mount to the film (sensor) plane that is different. I think you can be fairly certain that your lens is C mount since it's a vintage cinema lens. most CS lenses are modern and are CCTV or security camera lenses - some of which are plastic and do not have focus or aperture rings since they're designed to be mounted on a wall and left there...

Schneider is a premium lens brand, so it should be a good quality unit. It's focal length isn't too much longer than the standard Q lens (you'll get about a 60mm equivalent), but vintage optics often give you vintage looking images, which many photographers enjoy. You should have some fun with this one.

Last edited by emergo; 10-08-2012 at 03:44 PM.
10-08-2012, 03:53 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yeah, I searched for the flange distance written on the mount and it is C-mount. I like my lenses a bit longer than 50mm so I think I'll like it.

Found a couple of interesting things in this listing: C-Mount Schneider Cinegon 11.5mm f1.9 | eBay

"Although you may notice some little white spots, which are very common fade from the inside black wall, this have NO affect on anything", good!
And the link shows some examples of the lens on a Lumix and it looks great in my eyes: Flickr: D H Wright's stuff tagged with cinegon

Looks decently sharp and nice colours. What do you think, will it hold up to the resolution of the Q?

10-25-2012, 04:58 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Now I just need an adapter to post shots with this beauty. Which c-mount to Q works best or are most of them similiar now? I rather spend a few extra bucks to get a fully working one rather than a bad fitting badly done one.
10-25-2012, 06:20 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Hi Visual Darkness,

(I usually use contractions for member's nicknames, but thought it might be unseemly in this case)

I have the RJ adapter

RJ 16mm Movie C to Pentax Q Adapter Inner Ring Design | eBay

it's a two piece design that allows you to rotate the lens within the outer mount ring, and might allow very slight adjustment front to back to shift register distance. I used this with a cheap K to C adapter to initially test K mount lenses on my Q, and it worked fine. I don't have any C lenses, so the only reason I bought this was as a stopgap.

The Kipon is a one piece unit, and from reports, may need to be shimmed to adjust register distance for some lenses. I have the Kipon P110 to Q adapter, and it's quality is excellent, so I'd assume the same for their other adapters.

Kipon Adapter for 16mm C Mount Cine Movie Lens to Pentax Q Camera Free | eBay

Not much real info, but it's a start . . .

Scott
10-25-2012, 06:28 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Looks like the lens has Schneideritois. You can imagine how common it is if there is a name for it Very common on their large format lenses, my 150 Symmar has it but cannot remember if my 210 Symmar S does.
10-25-2012, 06:51 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi Visual Darkness,

(I usually use contractions for member's nicknames, but thought it might be unseemly in this case)

I have the RJ adapter

RJ 16mm Movie C to Pentax Q Adapter Inner Ring Design | eBay

it's a two piece design that allows you to rotate the lens within the outer mount ring, and might allow very slight adjustment front to back to shift register distance. I used this with a cheap K to C adapter to initially test K mount lenses on my Q, and it worked fine. I don't have any C lenses, so the only reason I bought this was as a stopgap.

The Kipon is a one piece unit, and from reports, may need to be shimmed to adjust register distance for some lenses. I have the Kipon P110 to Q adapter, and it's quality is excellent, so I'd assume the same for their other adapters.

Kipon Adapter for 16mm C Mount Cine Movie Lens to Pentax Q Camera Free | eBay

Not much real info, but it's a start . . .

Scott
That's plenty of info and I'm very thankful for it! The dual ring design looks clever and I'll probably go for it as I don't trust the adapter nor all C-mount lenses to have perfect dimensions.
QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
Looks like the lens has Schneideritois. You can imagine how common it is if there is a name for it Very common on their large format lenses, my 150 Symmar has it but cannot remember if my 210 Symmar S does.
Aha! If you knew how much I googled the issue before buying the lens. I came across info stating that it was common and not that bad but it gave me a cheap lens instead. Schneideritis seems to be the correct term. :P

10-25-2012, 07:21 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Schneideritis seems to be the correct term. :P
Yep, but it isn't limited to Schneiders... see my giant Zeiss 6x6 lens here. No effect on the image at all!
Nice lens!

EDIT: Wow, I can't wait to try that tilt lens on the tiny Q10! Focus-peaking with tilt?
10-25-2012, 07:59 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Yep, but it isn't limited to Schneiders... see my giant Zeiss 6x6 lens here. No effect on the image at all!
Nice lens!

EDIT: Wow, I can't wait to try that tilt lens on the tiny Q10! Focus-peaking with tilt?
You have to try it! I want a TS for my Q and K-5.