Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-08-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Q for closeups?

I'm just wondering, could the Q be used for macro or closeup photography? I'm asking because most Q lenses appear to have rather low max. magnification. The Q, with its small size and small sensor could be good for that type of photography, but it appears the lenses just don't allow it.

10-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #2

Just use any legacy macro lens with the appropriate adapter on the Q. For example this is an old Nikon Micro 200mm F4 AI lens on the Q. Because of the sensor size you get a crop factor of 5.6x.

Shawn
10-08-2012, 02:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
ARGH I was just eating, then I scroll down and see this photo at full size, I nearly had a panic attack Way to make your point extremely clear. Good shot, though.

QuoteOriginally posted by Shawn67 Quote
Just use any legacy macro lens with the appropriate adapter on the Q. For example this is an old Nikon Micro 200mm F4 AI lens on the Q. Because of the sensor size you get a crop factor of 5.6x.
So adapters would be the way to go, eh? No native mount lenses
10-08-2012, 03:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
So adapters would be the way to go, eh? No native mount lenses
Hi Na Horuk,

So far, there have not been any Q mount lenses that lend themselves to macro photography, but the newest Q lens roadmap shows an update to the proposed @ 95mm EQ tele prime, calling it a "Tele-Macro". This implies at least a short Minimum Focusing Distance, and if we get lucky, 1:1 magnification ratio in a Q system lens. .

For at least 1:1, though, adapted lenses are needed. There are some challenges though -- Flash use with adapted lenses is very limited at present. We're hoping that the integral shutter in the new Pentax K to Q adapter and the promised firmware update will cure the problems that currently exist for this application. The potential is awesome though.The 5.5x magnification factor in relation to the frame compared to FF ( 3.7x compared to APS-C) while retaining the original working distance of the lens with much reduced weight will make it a formidable tool for the macro shooter IMO.

Scott

10-08-2012, 04:10 PM   #5

"For at least 1:1, though......The 5.5x magnification factor"

For those that don't know the Nikon lens I used above is only 2:1 and there is no cropping on that shot.

Shawn
10-08-2012, 04:41 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I'm just wondering, could the Q be used for macro or closeup photography? I'm asking because most Q lenses appear to have rather low max. magnification. The Q, with its small size and small sensor could be good for that type of photography, but it appears the lenses just don't allow it.
There is a macro function within the Q menu.

Last edited by felixkh; 10-08-2012 at 04:47 PM.
10-10-2012, 05:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Shawn67 Quote
"For at least 1:1, though......The 5.5x magnification factor"

For those that don't know the Nikon lens I used above is only 2:1 and there is no cropping on that shot.

Shawn
1:2, right? Otherwise it's a really awesome lens.

10-10-2012, 02:22 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
1:2, right? Otherwise it's a really awesome lens.
Right, 1:2. To get to 1:1 with it requires a 2x teleconverter. It is nice having the 1:2 ratio with a decent working distance, I think it is about 20" from the end of the lens.

Shawn