Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-09-2012, 09:15 AM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

New Q user

I have had the Q for about @ months and am thoroughly enjoying it.

10-09-2012, 12:28 PM   #2

Hi there, I bought a Q with the 01 prime lens three days ago, got it brand new for 284 Euros and couldn't resist it. I don't regret it at all, it's the most fun I have had with a camera in since I bought my first digital camera. Unfortunately I got the white model, would have preferred the black, but even the white is growing on me.

Only two things that I find slightly disappointing, I cannot increase saturation more, it's at max and still I find the colours are not vibrant as I like it, secondly the white balance indoors in the evening seems to be wrong, pictures are very yellow and I have tried different settings, haven't figured it out yet.
10-09-2012, 02:02 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Q forum NYNOIR and CobusBasson. The Q is a lot of fun. It is hard to leave at home.
NYNOIR,are you shooting the Q on natural color setting with custom adjustments or something else? The supplied Silkypix software allows many color profiles. Check it out.
thanks
barondla
10-09-2012, 02:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CobusBasson Quote
Only two things that I find slightly disappointing, I cannot increase saturation more, it's at max and still I find the colours are not vibrant as I like it, secondly the white balance indoors in the evening seems to be wrong, pictures are very yellow and I have tried different settings, haven't figured it out yet.
Hi CobusBasson,

There are a number of "Custom Image" options that will give you more saturation. Starting at "Natural", you can go to Bright, Vivid, Radiant, and Reversal Film for setups with varying degrees of increased saturation, then you can press the Av (+/-) button for Parameter adjust, and you can further increase the saturation there if you want.

As far as White Balance is concerned, I find AWB pretty good in the Q -- even for compact fluorescents, which are very orange, but depending on your artificial light source, you might try "Tungsten" or set the WB manually with any white or neutral gray surface under the particular light source. You can also adjust each of the WB presets by pressing the Av (+/-) button while the WB preset is highlighted. By pressing the up and down buttons, you can adjust towards green or magenta, and with the right and left buttons, you can go from blue to yellow (colder or warmer) and any combination in between. You can see the effect of the presets and any adjustments you make in real time on the LCD as you make them.

One thing I've done at home is use "Daylight" compact fluorescents in the rooms where I like to shoot the most. These give off a much colder light, and it's a lot easier on AWB. They are more expensive and they do make things look a bit weird if you're used to Tungsten or standard CFs, but I've gotten used to it. . .

The Q is very adjustable -- moreso than most compact cameras, and you also have the choice of shooting RAW and doing the processing yourself.

Congrats on getting the Q! I'm sure that you'll be able to adjust the output to your liking. I shoot jpegs, and the first thing I do with every camera I get is spend a couple of hours setting up the Custom Image settings and parameters to match what I actually see.

Scott

10-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NYNOIR Quote
I have had the Q for about @ months and am thoroughly enjoying it.
Hi NYNOIR,

Welcome to the forum and Q community! The Q is a very unique experience, and we always like to see what others are doing with their Qs

Scott