Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2012, 09:49 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Q Firmware Wishlist

• The latest K-01 firmware improves CDAF. If the changes are applicable to the Q then I'd like to see them added in firmware.

• In manual mode the control dial defaults to shutter speed and you need to press the exposure button to switch to aperture. I think this is backwards, as generally I'll select a shutter speed once and change aperture occasionally. I think the default should be aperture, which would be an easy fix.

• Focus peaking would be nice.

• Flash sync with electronic shutter speeds exceeding 1/13 would be nice.

If you've got anything please feel free to add to the list.

10-11-2012, 10:37 AM   #2
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Enable SR with adapted lenses!
10-11-2012, 02:33 PM   #3

The "Snap Focus" function of the Ricohs would be a very nice addition on the Q. Likewise a "Set to Hyperfocal" function when in aperture priority.

Shawn
10-11-2012, 02:48 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
Isn't it possible that is just not feasible since the equivalent focal lengths of K-mount glass are so far outside the native Q range? I mean, even on the K-5 it tops out at 800 or 1200, right? (I forget.)

10-11-2012, 05:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Isn't it possible that is just not feasible since the equivalent focal lengths of K-mount glass are so far outside the native Q range? I mean, even on the K-5 it tops out at 800 or 1200, right? (I forget.)
Hi VB,

You are correct. Though I want SR with adapted lenses, I've always assumed that the limit will be something like 150-200 actual mm in FL.

Not trying to be a negative ninny about the suggestions so far, but my understanding is that Peaking, as well as electronic flash sync speeds over 1/13 are sensor related as they require special circuitry in the on-sensor processor. Flash sync faster than 1/13 is usually not possible with CMOS sensors because the light sensors dump sequentially by column, not all at once as in a CCD. There are supposed to be some CMOS sensors where all the columns can be turned off simultaneously, but I'm not really sure. This sequential by column dump is responsible for the "jello" effect some have seen in CMOS equipped video.

I'll add to the list though, even though I'm repeating some things mentioned in previous posts.

1. Focus Trap (Catch in Focus) would be a nice addition if it can work with CD AF. Allow the current Focus Assist magnification to remain active until the shutter is fired as a choice in the menu system as opposed to the cutting off at a half press as is current.

2. Fix the external flash protocols. -- Allow external Manual or Auto Thyristor Flash operation with Q system lenses without having to turn the flash "off" in the flash menu. Allow either of these types of flashes to fire with adapted lenses. In other words, make external flash work with the Q the same as they work with any Pentax DSLR. --- Allow the pop up flash to act as a Master or Controller for Remote Wireless TTL flash.

I think it should be kept in mind that a lot of things that might seem like a simple firmware fix might not be possible in the Q. The in-camera processor power is probably limited size -- the tiny Q body is really packed tightly as it is, and this might limit features and potential performance significantly.

One last thought -- Pentax, has in the past not updated features in firmware, but Ricoh has -- hopefully this means that we can hope for things like Peaking to be added to the Q retroactively. . .

Scott
10-11-2012, 09:17 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I will go with snostorm's requests and add some of my own.

1.Allow user to change the Q magnify lcd image operation. Like to keep finger on shutter release to shoot instant focus is acquired. It worked differently before firmware update.

2. Turn up the sensitivity of the rear wireless remote eye. Remote F has barely a 2 inch range. The weatherproof remote does a little better. They should both work at a foot or so to be more useful. Shooting "mirror lockup" with the Q is amazing with large teles.

thanks
barondla

The Q is the worlds best secoond camera. And it is fun!
10-12-2012, 07:22 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
1) all features of hte Q10 firmware updating the Q

2) SR implemented without requiring the Pentax K to Q adapter to be attached.

3) Include focus peaking

4) Allow any collection of settings (mode, iso, white balance, SR, etc.) be saved to the custom dial in front of the camera body. The current choice of jpeg filters is very limiting. It should act like the custom settings in the GXR

10-13-2012, 05:27 AM   #8

Adding EXIF data so programs like LR will autorotate the picture when shot in portrait mode.

Shawn
10-13-2012, 07:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If a Third Party like Magic Lantern can add Peaking functions on a Canon, Pentax should be able to add it the Q in some way.
10-13-2012, 07:33 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shawn67, think the camera has to have an orientation sensor to auto rotate. Unfortunately the Q doesn't have that sensor. So firmware can't fix add it.

Think peaking can be added to many cameras.
thanks
barondla
10-13-2012, 08:12 PM   #11

"Shawn67, think the camera has to have an orientation sensor to auto rotate. Unfortunately the Q doesn't have that sensor. So firmware can't fix add it."

Are you sure it doesn't have that sensor? I would think that would be part of the SR functionality.

Shawn
07-03-2014, 05:05 PM   #12

the ability to cycle between shutter, aperture and ISO with the thumbwheel in manual mode or/and allow exp comp in TAv mode, pretty sure both can be add via firmware upgrade
07-10-2014, 02:09 AM   #13

When using the in-camera raw-conversion, the file name of the new image should be "similar" to the name of the raw file. Currently, after converting some raw files, it gets difficult so know which jpg file belong to which raw file. Another even better option for in-camera raw-conversion would be, to replace the old jpg with a new one, so that the file name of the jpg remains the same.