Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-12-2012, 11:40 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Q10 focus peaking and impressions

Yes, the Q10 has focus peaking for manual focus assist! Here is the video I shot today at the Toronto Exposure Imaging Expo. Big thanks to Dan Savoie from Pentax Canada who provided the pre-production Q10, the Pentax K-Q adapter, the 35mm Macro Ltd., the tripod, and the focusing hand! (Hey, I provided the K-5 and 35mm Macro #2 to film it!)

Pentax Q10 focus peaking w/ PK-Q adapter

Incredible depth-of-field for macro work, even "wide open" at f/2.8 (as shown above). That 35 Limited is the equivalent of a 200mm macro!

Last edited by panoguy; 11-20-2012 at 12:15 PM.
10-12-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Did you find out if it works in movie mode (which it doesn't in the k-30 and k-01)?
10-12-2012, 11:48 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
(which it doesn't in the k-30 and k-01)
It does work on the K-01, you just have to have it on before entering movie mode, or have to map it to the green button. A little hard to get to, but it's definitely there!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It does work on the K-01, you just have to have it on before entering movie mode, or have to map it to the green button. A little hard to get to, but it's definitely there!
Wait, it exists on the k-01!? That's fantastic! Focus peaking in movie mode would make my life so much easier when trying to record videos with short focus throw lenses!

10-12-2012, 11:54 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Also, I shot a few more images of the adapter itself and the "mini-macro combo" above, to answer some questions for those who haven't handled the adapter or the Q10.

First, the Pentax K-mount to Q-mount adapter has electrical contacts on the back, and you can see they are recessed, so most likely other adapters will not function the same. Dan at Pentax Canada didn't know if the contacts were exclusively for the internal shutter, or if they also enabled the focal-length input option. We didn't have an off-brand Q adapter to compare to.

Next, yes, you can input the focal length of your lens for shake reduction. Because of the crop factor and variability of types of lenses you can attach, you input the computed *equivalent focal length* with the 5.5x multiplier, and the Q10 will remember the last 10 you used for quick recall later. Note that it goes up to 9999.9mm for those of you with a 1200mm f/8 lens and 1.4x TC.

Finally, what you see below is a very compact 200mm Macro setup, and the Q10 does a great job with longer lenses and stabilization! (But it was Pre-Production, so Dan wouldn't let me use my own SD card to show the results...) Also note that the Pentax K to Q Adapter has the same slots for a removable tripod mount as found on the tripod ring of the DA*300mm and DA*60-250mm. Dan from Pentax Canada used the foot from their DA*300mm for the video and these shots.

Last edited by panoguy; 10-13-2012 at 07:27 AM.
10-12-2012, 11:59 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Did you find out if it works in movie mode (which it doesn't in the k-30 and k-01)?
We couldn't get it to work during video recording (it stopped once you started recording), but we didn't try very hard to figure out a way around this. The booth staff had no prior information on focus-peaking on the Q10 at all!

Last edited by panoguy; 10-12-2012 at 12:06 PM.
10-12-2012, 12:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Sounds really good - I'm especially amused by the 9999.9 on the focal length input

10-12-2012, 12:10 PM   #8

Thanks so much for this! Q10 is looking better and better
10-12-2012, 12:13 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Looks good, I'm sold.
10-12-2012, 01:18 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks for taking the time to do all this panoguy!

Great to see the input of focal length for SR also - big plus. I'm sold on it also - just to figure out what to sell to get the Q10 + adapter - something comes in.....something needs to go out.
10-12-2012, 01:33 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Wow, that Q10 and 35mm macro combo is really interesting! Thanks for the vid. Now just to get some actual output from the Q10 to judge

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I think he meant during video recording, not just when.. idling in movie mode.

Wait, it exists on the k-01!? That's fantastic! Focus peaking in movie mode would make my life so much easier when trying to record videos with short focus throw lenses!
Please double-check if it works while recording, because as far as I remember, you have peaking, but it stops once you start recording the movie.
10-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Oh yeah, my .02 CAD...

My general impressions of the Q10 were very positive, and my wife said "ooh, it's a cute little spy camera" so I'll definitely be getting one to share, but I'll also get the adapter for *my* lenses. A bit strange to use the LCD as a finder, but I'm sure I'll get used to it!

Now I don't own an original Q, but the Q10 is definitely not as "solid" as the magnesium-bodied Q I've handled before. It is very light and plastic-bodied, with the same 3.0" screen they've used forever, so it is quite apparent why they can list it for $600 (with the zoom) now. That said, all the controls felt very good and the focus (with the native AF lenses) was quite quick, but not PDAF quick. There was also no "video lag" as you panned around, or perceptible hesitation when you press the shutter button, which were two things I'd read about in original Q reviews.

When using it with the adapter and DA*300/4 (which is what I'm interested in), I definitely saw a need for a tripod and red-dot finder. It was crazy to try to frame something at 1650mm equiv! I could still easily hold and focus that big lens with one hand and keep my other hand on the very grippy grip side, with my finger on the shutter button. The SR eliminated lots of camera shake as well. We shot multiple images in the exhibit hall at 1650mm, f/4, 1/250, ISO3200, and they were all basically free of motion blur! Again, because it was Pre-Production, the images were shot on the Pentax rep's SD card, so I don't have them to share, but the noise (reviewed on the LCD, so JPEG) wasn't horrible at ISO3200 and the colors seemed pretty good.

Last edited by panoguy; 10-12-2012 at 07:18 PM.
10-12-2012, 04:17 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Cool stuff, I might get one as a replacement for my aging pocket camera, A Canon SD800 IS.

I wish I could rent one for a week haha,Just to see how it is on a daily basis.

My Canon with its retractable lens and OVF is a great little camera that fits in the pocket of a pair of jeans.
10-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Please double-check if it works while recording, because as far as I remember, you have peaking, but it stops once you start recording the movie.
Indeed, just tested with the last firmware and it doesn't work while recording. And pressing the green button does nothing.
10-12-2012, 05:22 PM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I think he meant during video recording, not just when.. idling in movie mode.
It could be that it goes away during recording- I can't remember for sure, but I believe that if you have focus peaking mapped to the green button, it will enable it even while recording. Someone who has the K-01 should confirm this, as I don't have one anymore!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: