Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2012, 08:10 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
So is it possible to cover or disconnect the electrial contact that reports the "wrong" focal length.
thanks
Hi barondla,

I think that this would be the "Data" contact, and this is the one that enables Auro Focus, so it would probably be a bit self-defeating You'd have the ability to correctly set the FL, but lose AF.

The only "TC" that has a Data pin on the camera side and none on the lens side, but can still AF is the 1.7x AFA since the focus elements are in the AFA, and the lens is assumed to be an MF lens.

Scott

Last edited by snostorm; 10-15-2012 at 07:59 PM.
10-15-2012, 06:32 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Would I be crazy to choose the Q with 01 and 02 lenses instead of a Q10 + 02 (70€ more) mostly based on the metal build and nicer looks of the white, in my eyes at least?
10-15-2012, 08:08 PM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Would I be crazy to choose the Q with 01 and 02 lenses instead of a Q10 + 02 (70€ more) mostly based on the metal build and nicer looks of the white, in my eyes at least?
I have a Q on order because of the magnesium build. You should order the camera you like the most and that includes appearance.

If you want choice of appearance, you should look at the custom build options available in Japan. (Best to open this link in Google Chrome so the automatic translation allows the page to be readable by those without Japanese reading skills. )

????.com - pentax Q10????? | ???????????????????????
10-15-2012, 10:36 PM   #34
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Indubitably, unlike most cameras that won't be long remembered, the original Q will be chronicled in camera history for its ingenuity and originality.

10-16-2012, 12:38 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
If you don't need focus peaking or SR with adapted lenses, you'd be crazy to pass up the original Q! That prime 01 lens is very good, and unavailable outside of the original Q kit today. Plus, we haven't even seen the images from the Q10 to know if they are substantially better than the Q. That 2 lens kit is a bargain! I can also tell you from handling both of them, the plastic Q10 is definitely not in the same class as the metal Q for build and "feel."
10-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #36
Site Supporter

I haven't used a Q10 yet. But one of the things that isn't often mentioned among Q owners is that the RAW buffer is small and the camera occasionally bogs down with processing. If they've upgraded the processor/memory of the Q10 then it might be worthwhile to upgrade.

No guarantees that the Q10 is improved in this regard.
10-21-2012, 07:48 AM   #37

Want!

Very excited by the Q10--focus peaking and image stabilization. Even if the sensor has the same quality, those two features make it a worthwhile upgrade. (Would kill for a Q->Minolta/Sony adapter with a shutter! Wonder how difficult it will be for third-parties to trigger a shutter; is it a simple electrical circuit or...)

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
A bit strange to use the LCD as a finder, but I'm sure I'll get used to it!
For the Q, I cannot recommend the Hoodman Hoodloupe enough. I really find it changes the shooting experience, particularly telephoto shooting. I do feel they are way overpriced at retail but keep your eyes out for used ones (I bought mine on ePay for about half what it would have cost new.) Only complaint is it would be nice to have a hoodloupe that mechanically latched to the body; but generally using the bands keeps it on just fine.

10-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by claud9999 Quote
(Would kill for a Q->Minolta/Sony adapter with a shutter! Wonder how difficult it will be for third-parties to trigger a shutter; is it a simple electrical circuit or...)
Easiest way would be to buy the Pentax adapter and change out the K mount for an A mount bayonet. There isn't any electrical connections on the front of the mount any way. Could be a few problems.
1. Pentax register distance from mount to sensor is almost 1mm longer. Sony lens may not focus to infinity. Camera tech could probably shave 1mm from adapter.
2. No way to adjust aperture on aperture ringless lenses. Could shoot wide open or devise a fix.
thanks
barondla
10-21-2012, 03:59 PM - 1 Like   #39
JPT
Pentaxian

Regarding the question of whether the Q or the Q10 is the best option, I think I can shed some light.

I got one this weekend to replace my wife's ageing point and shoot and wanted to compare them side by side, so I went to the Pentax Forum here in Tokyo. I was able to try out both of them and they talked me through the differences.

The showroom attendant I was speaking to said that making it out of plastic enabled them to make it cheaper and in more colours. The plastic of the Q10 doesn't feel as good as the metal body of the Q but it is only a small camera, so it doesn't cause any feeling of weakness in the body.

There is a small increase in size. It's only a few millimetres in each dimension but it is a perceptible difference when you look at the together. The new grip is more comfortable to hold - the old Q feels like it could slip out of my hands quite easily. They said they had made the buttons and control easier to use by making them more clicky.

They were not claiming any major changes to the internals of the camera. The autofocus seemed noticeably faster to me. Hopefully they will be able to bring this improvement to the old Q like they did with the K-01 recently.

After looking at them, I decided to go for the Q because I wanted the standard prime lens, it was cheaper and the Q10 isn't available to buy until the 26th. I didn't see any reason to wait for the Q10 but I thought it was a nice camera and a very sensible development of the Q line.

Q advantages - metal body, slightly smaller, available in a kit with the 01 Standard Prime
Q10 advantages - slightly better handling, faster autofocus, some added firmware features, comes in more colours (especially in Japan), available in a kit with the 06 Telephoto Zoom

I hope this helps for anyone who is having trouble deciding between the two.
10-21-2012, 05:13 PM   #40
Veteran Member

This is a great comparison - thanks for posting this JPT!
10-21-2012, 09:41 PM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Q advantages - metal body, slightly smaller, available in a kit with the 01 Standard Prime
Q10 advantages - slightly better handling, faster autofocus, some added firmware features, comes in more colours (especially in Japan), available in a kit with the 06 Telephoto Zoom
Q10 impossible to get with the 01 prime, so far. Hopefully they can resolve this some day.

Q10 monaural video sound, Q stereo. Not sure what they were thinking here...

Q10 supposedly better images in terms of noise. Hopefully they've done something about that purple sensor flare as well, but not seen any evidence so far.
10-21-2012, 10:06 PM   #42
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The autofocus seemed noticeably faster to me.
I wonder if the Q had the latest FW? If not, then the difference in AF wouldn't be that significant...

The following is from post #4 of this thread...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/164264-anyone-update-their-q-firmware-yet.html

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi devorama,

Thanks for the heads up. It hadn't even occurred to me to look for FW updates. . .

I just installed them all without a hitch. The body FW took @ 20 sec and each of the lens FW took @ 5 sec, if even that.

Interesting that this is now done through a menu choice -- I hadn't really noticed that

I'm not one to compare before and after systematically so take this for what it's worth. . . and realize that firmware updates always seem to spawn urban legends about improved performance, . .but there seem to be some noticeable differences:

The AF seems to be a lot faster -- very quick for both lenses in good light. At this point, I'd be willing to say that the Q is now probably the fastest AF camera in Pentax's digital line (including the K-5) in good light. At Ev 4-5 indoors, the prime is still very quick. The zoom is improved at this light level, but not nearly as noticeably, probably due to the max aperture differences between the two lenses. You know how the AF system used to always run the focus from lock to lock and then return to the point of focus? This was noticeable even when you were taking a second shot of the same subject without moving the camera. I can't see this now -- the AF system seems to just jump to in focus. This is outstanding AF performance IMO.

SNIP

Last edited by JHD; 10-21-2012 at 10:19 PM.
10-21-2012, 10:32 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Regarding the question of whether the Q or the Q10 is the best option, I think I can shed some light.

I got one this weekend to replace my wife's ageing point and shoot and wanted to compare them side by side, so I went to the Pentax Forum here in Tokyo. I was able to try out both of them and they talked me through the differences.

The showroom attendant I was speaking to said that making it out of plastic enabled them to make it cheaper and in more colours. The plastic of the Q10 doesn't feel as good as the metal body of the Q but it is only a small camera, so it doesn't cause any feeling of weakness in the body.

There is a small increase in size. It's only a few millimetres in each dimension but it is a perceptible difference when you look at the together. The new grip is more comfortable to hold - the old Q feels like it could slip out of my hands quite easily. They said they had made the buttons and control easier to use by making them more clicky.

They were not claiming any major changes to the internals of the camera. The autofocus seemed noticeably faster to me. Hopefully they will be able to bring this improvement to the old Q like they did with the K-01 recently.

After looking at them, I decided to go for the Q because I wanted the standard prime lens, it was cheaper and the Q10 isn't available to buy until the 26th. I didn't see any reason to wait for the Q10 but I thought it was a nice camera and a very sensible development of the Q line.

I hope this helps for anyone who is having trouble deciding between the two.
You forgot Q dual kit half the price of the Q10 dual kit. I pulled the trigger at 349€ + third party spare battery. Now I just need K-mount and C-mount adapters...
10-22-2012, 07:25 AM   #44
JPT
Pentaxian

The Q is quite a bit cheaper than the Q10 here too, but that is the preorder price for the Q10. If you want the Q10 with the prime lens it will cost 31,000 yen for the Q10 body only and 15,000 yen for the standard prime. The Q lens kit is just 28,000 yen so it's a bit of a bargain.

I didn't check but I would imagine cameras in the Pentax showroom have the latest firmware. Anyway, thanks for reminding me about the firmware, JHD, because it hadn't occurred to me to update the firmware on the Q we bought. Cool little camera. Hope they come out with a wide angle prime sooner rather than later. Actually, they could just pull the lens off a GR Digital and put a mount on it. That would be perfect.
11-02-2012, 02:25 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Next, yes, you can input the focal length of your lens for shake reduction. Because of the crop factor and variability of types of lenses you can attach, you input the computed *equivalent focal length* with the 5.5x multiplier
I don't think you enter 'equivalent' focal length -- you just enter the actual focal length of the lens. 35mm lens is a 35mm lens no matter what it's mounted on.

I know this thread is a little dated now but I'll add that the new firmware for Q not only added focus peaking and SR for adapted lenses for the ur-Q but seems to have helped with AF and general stability as well.