Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2012, 11:18 AM   #1

Pentax Q SR and Focus Peaking Firmware

Dear Q owners,

Many of us paid a higher price on Pentax Q than the price of Pentax Q10. I feel offended that after paying a higher price features like focus peaking and SR are not available for Pentax Q while they are available on Pentax Q10.

The K to Q adapter was supposed to be released this spring when Q10 was not announced so it was marketed as a product which would enhance Pentax Q experience. And now when it was released it doesn't offer two main features like SR and focus peaking - this is almost false advertising.

I wrote an email to pentax (pentaxservice@jpss.co.uk -if you know a better contact please share it) and I kindly ask you to do the same, to write them an email asking for a Q firmware update to add this features.

Thank you

10-18-2012, 12:12 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MariusG Quote
And now when it was released it doesn't offer two main features like SR and focus peaking - this is almost false advertising.
Wait, what!?? Did you really expect a lens mount adapter to "offer two main features like SR and focus peaking?" Absolutely ask Pentax if they can release a firmware update for the Q, but please don't expect anyone to believe you were promised those features in any way, shape, or form. Very strange to be "offended" that your old camera doesn't have the features of a brand new one...
10-18-2012, 12:24 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The consumer camera industry lives off of releasing new products on a regular basis. Thus, from a marketing standpoint, it wouldn't make sense for firmware updates to add features which are part of a new product, as unfortunate as it may be.

One could say that Pentax scewed up the original Q launch, but that doesn't mean they're going to do anything special for current Q owners.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-18-2012, 12:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

On this page Adapter Q for K-mount Lenses An exclusive accessory for the PENTAX Q series, for the capture of dramatic super-telephoto images using K-mount lenses | PENTAX RICOH IMAGING it specifically states
QuoteQuote:
Camera shake is automatically compensated for any lens, simply by inputting the focal length of the mounted lens to the PENTAX Q series.
This is in reference to SR, and since it refers to the Q 'series' I am hopeful that the needed firmware update for the Q will become available once the adapter is released.

Peaking is another topic entirely, and it has not been mentioned previously or even in any Q10 material to date.

It is possible that the peaking seen on the show units is a pre-production firmware and may not make it to the final product since it has not been publicized.

10-18-2012, 02:16 PM   #5
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The consumer camera industry lives off of releasing new products on a regular basis. Thus, from a marketing standpoint, it wouldn't make sense for firmware updates to add features which are part of a new product, as unfortunate as it may be.
Huh? Depends on the company and how much they value their customers. The first generation of Sony NEX cameras did not come with focus peaking - that feature was part of the newer product line - but Sony made that feature available in a FW update for the first generation. And from a marketing stand point, that was a very good move! Some might even call it brilliant, as it made many of their previous customers very happy - not to mention loyal customers.
10-18-2012, 04:59 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Sure, the consumer camera industry is typically lazy and does focus on new products rather than already released ones, but the Q is competing to some extent against NEX, and there we have precedent:

Sony Firmware Update Brings Peaking To NEX-3 and NEX-5

The Q is also competing against Micro Four-Thirds, and there Olympus has been supporting in-camera sensor-based image stabilization with adapted lenses from the beginning.

The Q holds a significant advantage in it's unique flexibility with C-mount adapted lenses over the NEX and PEN - you don't have to physically modify C-mount lenses to use them with adapters on the Q. Add support for shake reduction and focus peaking with adapted lenses, and I'd argue Pentax would have one of the best mirrorless bodies for adapted lenses. If Pentax were to release a firmware update with those features for the Q, existing owners would be elated and word would spread about the Q (and Q10) as one of the most ideal systems for adapted lenses. This would be a real boon right now as Pentax is still in the early days of filling out a range of native Q lenses of their own, and C-mount lenses are a better physical fit (size and portability-wise) adapted to the Q than K-mount lenses are.
10-18-2012, 06:55 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Even Canon really boosted their older cameras with a firmware a while ago, so it's quite possible.
10-18-2012, 11:56 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Wait, what!?? Did you really expect a lens mount adapter to "offer two main features like SR and focus peaking?" Absolutely ask Pentax if they can release a firmware update for the Q, but please don't expect anyone to believe you were promised those features in any way, shape, or form. Very strange to be "offended" that your old camera doesn't have the features of a brand new one...
It's common sense to offer SR for the adapter as SR is inbody feature based on sensor shift technology so really..it's not that hard to implement it with a firmware update.

I proposed you to simply write an email to Pentax to offer feedback, this is a constructive initiative which might bring benefit to all Pentax users. If you think this is too much than keep your head in the sand and keep talking on forums about the Pentax FF dream, I'm selling now my Pentax cameras and stick my limited lenses on other vendor camera not only for the reason above but also:

-lack of commitment regarding the release plans: example above where the converter was delayed and no firmware updates for Q brings the expected focus peaking and SR
-poor response to the market trends: no small body APSC option (like the mirrorless from Sony, Fuji, Canon), no fullframe options
-poor quality of distribution: in my country Pentax products stocks shrunk, retailers do not keep Pentax equipment on stock so we donít have the possibility to see/test the equipment
-price increases on Pentax lenses; Pentax was already losing market share to mirrorless and fullframe, how is it possible to raise prices in this context???
-poor connection to the market: like other Asian companies Pentax doesnít seem to care about European&USA market; they focus only on the needs of Asian customers (example build 100 colors cameras)

Admin,

Please delete my account on this forum.

10-19-2012, 07:24 AM   #9
Veteran Member

What country are you in?
Please PM list of camera equipment you are selling if you will ship to US.
10-19-2012, 08:15 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Hurry before the account gets deleted
10-29-2012, 03:41 PM   #11
Forum Member

damn, that guy should have been a little more patient...

8 days after,

Focus peaking and SR on third lens, on Q thought firmware update, just became true.

ironic isn't it?

someone need to keep an eye on that guy, then the day he will say: No FF pentax damn i quit , please delete my account, we can be sure FF will be true 8 dayx after!
10-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by spellcaster Quote
damn, that guy should have been a little more patient...

8 days after,

Focus peaking and SR on third lens, on Q thought firmware update, just became true.

ironic isn't it?

someone need to keep an eye on that guy, then the day he will say: No FF pentax damn i quit , please delete my account, we can be sure FF will be true 8 dayx after!
people in this thread were stressing themselves out, I was gonna sell my Q too if we didn't get FW update, but during the interview where ricoh said they are different than pentax and will supply old camera with new features, they were asking questions about the Q when they said that, so I had a huge hunch they were going to release it and held out...
10-29-2012, 06:38 PM - 1 Like   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by bmonki Quote
people in this thread were stressing themselves out, I was gonna sell my Q too if we didn't get FW update, but during the interview where ricoh said they are different than pentax and will supply old camera with new features, they were asking questions about the Q when they said that, so I had a huge hunch they were going to release it and held out...
I didn't see that interview--is it still online?

Sounds like my hunch was correct, as this is very much a Ricoh tradition. Also, by tradition, that will be the last FW update for the original Q; they brought as much of the new body back to the old, and now they will move on.

It's really a win for consumers. I admire the practice.
10-29-2012, 08:59 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ndjedinak Quote
I didn't see that interview--is it still online?

Sounds like my hunch was correct, as this is very much a Ricoh tradition. Also, by tradition, that will be the last FW update for the original Q; they brought as much of the new body back to the old, and now they will move on.

It's really a win for consumers. I admire the practice.
I think it was the japanese interview with the RD dude, or it could of been the PF video, but one of them said they will update old cameras and they said it in a way as if it was an insult to the old pentax management...
10-30-2012, 11:22 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by bmonki Quote
I think it was the japanese interview with the RD dude, or it could of been the PF video, but one of them said they will update old cameras and they said it in a way as if it was an insult to the old pentax management...
Thanks, I'll try to find it. I missed that one.