Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2012, 05:35 AM   #1
Forum Member

First setback for Q for me.

I have just taken a bit of a knockback to my initial enthusiasm. Just about to launch myself into the world of K lenses and 110 lenses (already bought the 50mm) by buying the relevant adapters and I have discovered there is NO manual focus confirmation bleep or catch in focus. This is a massive problem for me as like most post (considerably in my case) 45 year olds I am longsighted and wear reading glasses. The sheer accuracy of these depends on the distance the LCD will be held from the glasses and a few inches makes a difference. I have already tried MF with the 4x enhancement and the 8mm prime and failed to get a shot in focus so far. Oh dear!

10-20-2012, 05:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Isnt there focus peaking?
10-20-2012, 05:49 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry, I don't have an original Q, but have you considered one of these LCD viewfinders? Yes, it makes your Q into a behemoth, but they aid manual focusing in any lighting conditions and have a diopter to correct for your vision with or without glasses. I plan on getting one for my Q10 when it arrives, but then I will be using it for long-lens photography not casual, carry around.

(Honestly, I hope that someone can chime in with some option to turn on MF confirmation in the Q, since my suggestion is like bolting a jet onto a Yugo because it won't go fast enough.)
10-20-2012, 06:07 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
(Honestly, I hope that someone can chime in with some option to turn on MF confirmation in the Q, since my suggestion is like bolting a jet onto a Yugo because it won't go fast enough.)

Yes, I think a loupe is my best hope. It has been great so far as a walkaround on the one opportunity I have had. I was now hoping to emulate the great things Barondola and others have done with their long lenses for wildlife shots. So, it seems we are in the same place - which is hopefully not between a rock and a hard place!
Dave

10-20-2012, 06:37 AM   #5

If you are going to shoot with long lenses (or macro) the loupe is a huge help in focusing. I bought a $19 one off ebay that I just hold against the Q when I am using it. Using a good tripod or having the lens resting on something is very helpful as well.

Shawn
10-20-2012, 04:42 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Bummer dc1500. My vision is going the other way. Are you saying you can't achieve focus using the reading glasses? Or are you trying to focus without reading glasses?

Two of my friends use a lupe on their Q. One uses it all the time. Even then the Q is much smaller and lighter than his FF behemoth. The other only uses it for long adapted lens shooting. For street, weddings, and portraits it comes off.

If you don't want to use a hood lupe you might try one of those glasses mounted flip up jewelers lupe and a long bill baseball cap to shade the screen. Sometimes I use a home made lcd shield with no optics. I never use a lupe. I tried the focus peaking on the K-01and wasn't that excited about it. Ymmv
.thanks
barondla
10-27-2012, 04:26 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Cheers Barondla. Things have just got better anyway. Focus peaking now on the firmware update! Just tried it and a very promising improvement. All these things are additional to the Q being a great "normal" camera anyway. It just seems to get better and there always seems a workround to any potential setback.
Dave
10-27-2012, 07:06 PM   #8
Site Supporter

dc1500 that is great news. Have done my update. All works well. Focus peaking seems different on the Q vs when I used it on the K-01. K-01 could get confusing. Q doesn't seem to bother me as much in that respect. Haven't figured out what the difference is yet. Actually using FP on the Q.

Will likely pick up another Q monday. It is one of my favorite cameras of all time and I want a backup. This one will be white to match my black one. Buying it with 5-15 zoom this time.
thanks
barondla

10-28-2012, 02:39 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Don't know what you will have to pay but we have a great Pentax selling shop called SRS that sells lots of Pentax. I got mine as an ex demo but as far as I could see it was brand new in its box with everything included. Cost me $310. It's usually about $400. Just wondered how that compares with US prices?
10-28-2012, 01:16 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
dc1500 that is great news. Have done my update. All works well. Focus peaking seems different on the Q vs when I used it on the K-01. K-01 could get confusing. Q doesn't seem to bother me as much in that respect. Haven't figured out what the difference is yet. Actually using FP on the Q.

Will likely pick up another Q monday. It is one of my favorite cameras of all time and I want a backup. This one will be white to match my black one. Buying it with 5-15 zoom this time.
thanks
barondla
Nice!! You're going to like the white, I predict

FWIW, my "new" zoom is better than my old, although it feels looser. I may contact pentax about the first zoom, it may have issues. I need to rediscover the zoom now, maybe it's better than I thought.
10-28-2012, 02:14 PM   #11
Site Supporter

The zoom I borrowed was great. At the wide end it was close to the quality of the 01. Tele end lost some iq. It is a harder lens to shoot on the Q. The 01 with that 1.9 aperture is very forgiving. Rarely needs high iso to guard against shake. Zoom is more difficult in low light. My tripod shots are great with it.
thanks
barondla
10-28-2012, 06:33 PM   #12

Our first copy of the zoom is definitely sub par. The new one is pretty darn good at wide and 50, a little less good at long. It may have less spherical aberration when shooting at 83mm close in--this would be good as it was rather intense on our first copy. Great for fun, not so great for everyday shooting.

I should probably return that first one to pentax. I'll drop them a line and see what they say.

You will likely enjoy the zoom--it's a tiny little jewel, very enjoyable to use. I need to shoot with my new one some more, but with the first copy, as much as I did get some photos I loved from it... A little of the Q magic was lost with a zoom.

I'm more of a prime guy, myself.
10-28-2012, 06:54 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dc1500 Quote
Don't know what you will have to pay but we have a great Pentax selling shop called SRS that sells lots of Pentax. I got mine as an ex demo but as far as I could see it was brand new in its box with everything included. Cost me $310. It's usually about $400. Just wondered how that compares with US prices?
Was that the one on Ebay? I was going for that one but it was gone before I hit buy. Later I got a super price on a white double kit instead so I'm even more happy!