Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-02-2012, 02:23 PM   #16

When you are using a MF Pentax K zoom lens with a 3rd party adapter and the 1.1 update, what should be put in the FL measurement, the short or long FL of the lens?
And what should the aperture of the MF lens be set at?
Thanks for any input on this.

11-02-2012, 02:32 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by hiwaystar Quote
When you are using a MF Pentax K zoom lens with a 3rd party adapter and the 1.1 update, what should be put in the FL measurement, the short or long FL of the lens?
Thanks for any input on this.
In practice, it is easier to use a fixed focal length "prime" lens.

When using a MF Pentax K zoom, you should either:

1) Turn Shake Reduction off (or)

2) Input the focal length the zoom is set to. You should be able to read this off the lens barrel. You would then enter the set focal length in Menu 3, "Input Focal Length".

As for the aperture, it is any setting you choose. Wide open will allow a faster shutter speed, but will probably be softer. Closed down, the depth of field will be greater.

Make sure you set the Q to AV (aperture priority mode) so the camera will meter and set the "correct" shutter speed for you.
11-02-2012, 02:36 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You can change it at any time but I can see why changing it from shot to shot would be annoying. I would suggest putting it somewhere between the short and middle of the zoom range. It won't be as effective at the long end but I don't think you want it over-correcting the short end either. This is based on hunch rather than science though.

Whatever aperture you want to shoot at. Camera won't be able to control the aperture. I would suggest though that you'll want it on the open side most of the time though...I assume this is not a 'fast' zoom, so you're probably already at f4 wide open. You will probably want it as open as possible for focusing. On the Q, f/4 already gives you quite a bit of depth-of-field so you probably won't often need to stop down very far for more DoF. And diffraction starts cutting sharpness quickly on the Q as well -- so again, I'd avoid stopping down very far if I could help it. Consider also that you're only shooting through the center of the len's coverage, avoiding the corners that might not be as good wide open.
11-02-2012, 04:05 PM   #19

Thanks for the replies. When I use MF lenses with most of my DSLRs the aperture of the lens has to be set to the highest setting, usually f-22 or the body will not recognize it.
I will just have to experiment and find out what settings work best with the Q.

11-02-2012, 04:23 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I assume you're talking about non-Pentax DSLRs? Note that there's no aperture coupling whatsoever with foreign/adapted lenses and the Q -- so the lens's aperture current setting IS the effective setting at all times -- whether you're focusing or shooting.
11-03-2012, 06:32 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
I assume you're talking about non-Pentax DSLRs? Note that there's no aperture coupling whatsoever with foreign/adapted lenses and the Q -- so the lens's aperture current setting IS the effective setting at all times -- whether you're focusing or shooting.
Thanks for replying.
That's correct, my DSLRs are non-Pentax. I was just wondering which aperture setting on the adapted lenses used on the Q would work best.
11-03-2012, 07:42 AM   #22
Veteran Member

which aperture setting on the adapted lenses used on the Q would work best.
Right. Put simply, you'll probably be favoring the wider apertures most of the time, probably f/5.6 or larger.

11-05-2012, 01:47 AM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GXRUser Quote
That is because you are using the electronic shutter.

Faster flash sync is only possible with the official Pentax K to Q adapter with the mechanical leaf shutter or the 01, 02, 06 lenses that also have a built in leaf shutter.
Thanks for the info I had missed it in the manual .
Kindly bjorsa
11-13-2012, 02:54 AM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
I did try to photo with B (bulb mode) yesterday but when using my q adapter (kiwi) the longest shutter time I could get was 2 sec :-(

will the bulb mode work with pentax own adapter ?
Is pentax own adapter for sale yet ?here in sweden isn't it
Kindly bjorsa
11-13-2012, 07:01 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bjorsa, just got my official Pentax Q-PK adapter here in the middle of the USA. Every thing from bulb to 1/1000 works fine. Posted a review of the adapter in this forum.

With the non oem adapter there is a way to get around the electronic shutter's 2 second limitation. The Q must be set to multiple exposure and up to 9 2 second exposures can be combined.
thanks
barondla
11-16-2012, 08:47 AM   #26
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the answer !
Here in sweden is it possible to order it now but up to 5 weeks delivery and price around 3000skr or 440 USD and that is what I paid for the pentax q with the 8,5 mm
how much does it cost in US ?
Kindly bjorsa
11-17-2012, 02:52 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
With the non oem adapter there is a way to get around the electronic shutter's 2 second limitation. The Q must be set to multiple exposure and up to 9 2 second exposures can be combined.
But that only works for JPEG output. Just like on the big Pentaxes, but more annoying. What I want is a DNG with several exposures in it, that I can load in whatever raw converter I like. Since the camera won't do it for me, I guess my computer will have to.

On the assumption (after a little googling) that no software to do this is actually available, I wrote my own. If I'm right about no other software for it being available, I can polish it a little and make it available.

(There's lots of software that can combine images in various ways of course, but not RAWs.)