Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-23-2012, 04:34 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax q antishake

If I use an adapter so that I can use pentax-k lenses on a pentax q will the antishake work then ?
Kindly bjorsa

10-23-2012, 05:39 AM   #2

Only if you buy Pentax own adapter [bara med Pentax egen adapter, ingen av de andra adaptrar jag sett funkar med SR] -->

The Pentax Adapter Q for K-mount Lenses permits the use of Pentax K-mount lenses on Pentax Q-series cameras. This adapter provides an effective increase in focal length by 5.5x, making it ideal for telephoto lens applications. The built-in mechanical shutter helps to prevent rolling shutter distortion when working with moving subjects and features a shutter speed range from 1/1000 to 30 sec. Also helping to prevent the effects of camera movement, applicable lens focal length information can be input in order to gain the benefits of in-camera Shake Reduction.
The adapter is compatible with a full range of K-mount lenses, creating a substantially greater breadth of options for use with your Q-mount camera.
Compatible with a full range of K-mount lenses for use on Q-mount cameras. Multiplies lens focal length by 5.5x for telephoto applications. Built-in mechanical shutter helps to prevent rolling shutter distortion. Supports manual aperture control and shutter speeds from 1/1000 to 30 sec. By inputting mounted lens focal length information, in-camera Shake Reduction is possible.
10-23-2012, 08:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi bjorsa,

I think it remains to be seen if the necessary firmware update will allow SR with 3rd party adapters and the original Q. At this time, we're pretty sure that SR will be enabled with the Pentax K to Q adapter and the Q 10, but I believe that all anyone has seen so far "in the flesh" are pre-production OEM adapters and pre-production firmware on the Q10, so there is nothing really cast in stone.

From what I've seen so far on the web, the firmware that's been seen requires the user to enter the FL Equivalent of the adapted lens, and the max value that can be entered is 9999.9mm EQ (@1785mm actual -- I've got some long lenses, but even with TCs, nothing practical past 714mm). Neither of these makes sense as the Pentax DSLRs require the user to input the actual FL of the lens and lets the camera do the crop factor calculation, and the max allowable FL is 800mm, so 1200mm EQ. My guess is that this was not finalized firmware, and what we actually see will be different.

I think the best answer at this time is that we're really not sure how it will be implemented exactly -- but we should know pretty soon. . .

Scott
10-23-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Snostorm is correct. We don't know exactly how the SR will proceed. Hope it works with any adapter and the orginal Q.
The multiply by 5.5X SR screen could be the final firmware. It would be great marketing. Teles are the strength of the Q. Putting that in numbers people use can drive the point home.
thanks
barondla

11-01-2012, 04:43 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
I did buy a pentax q and then installed the firmware 1.10 and now I have the option for antishake up to 9999 mm but the antishake will not work at remotecontrol or self-timer
I bought the pentax q to use it on my telescope and with the remotecontrol but it dosent work I have contacted pentax but no answer yet .

The antishake dosent work with with my pentax q 8,5/1,9 in remote control or self-timer option either .

And wy is it the lcd screen lower the light after about 7 sec and you have to press the trigger halfway to wake it up to full light ?

And the camera also shut down after few minutes if I dosent touch the trigger is there anyway to solv that ?
Kindly bjorsa
11-01-2012, 05:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Anti shake should not work with remote or timer - remote or timer assumes you are using it on a tripod, and antishake should be disabled when using a tripod.
11-01-2012, 05:32 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The SR shake reduction is designed to take hand held shake out of the picture. If you are using remote or timer Pentax figures you aren't hand holding the camera. Using SR on a tripod causes the picture quaility to decrease, so Pentax thoughtfully shuts it off automtically for us. Your telescope should not have shake if it is mounted on a proper mount. There is no mirror to cause vibration and you aren't touching the camera if you are using wireless remote.

In the Q menu, under wrench page 2, there is "power saving" tick it off. Now your screen won't darken after a few seconds. Q will use more battery power. Pentax does make an ac wall adapter.

In same menu location underneath power saving is "auto power off". Turn it off. Now your Q will stay on.

Can't wait to see some of your astrophotography.
thanks
barondla

11-01-2012, 05:55 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the tip of the power saving .

Yes the tripod on my old celstron c8 working but the moon is shaking :-) the photos dont get as sharp as I would like :-(

Its seems to be impossible to shut down the noise reduction or is it just me that cant find it ?I can just chose nr auto nr "1" nr "2"
is the NR of in raw ?
Kindly bjorsa
11-01-2012, 06:01 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I don't think antishake will stop the moon from shaking... what exactly do you mean by the moon shaking? Are you sure your tripod/telescope is steady?
11-01-2012, 06:29 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
The pentax q did take rather long exposure times so that the moon did get motion blur but next time I will choose my self and see if I can get some sharper photos
And the tripod is and celestron c8 is rather heavy and stable so I dont think it is unstable I probably need some training but with pentax k7 I did get a bit sharper image whitout any SR (see photo)
but it was the first night I try this "astrophoto" with an old (1980) celestron c8

Kindly bjorsa
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
11-01-2012, 06:39 AM   #11
Veteran Member

If the telescope and tripod are steady, then the exposure time will be critical. Unfortunately I don't do much astrophotography, so I don't have many tips here. Hopefully others can chime in!
11-01-2012, 01:00 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Q Antishake

I was told by a Pentax Canada rep that you only have to put the focal length of the lens at start up and not the focal length multiplied by 5.5 X. The Q does the 5.5X multiplying for us. This is easier for the user.

Also, the Q SR seems to work with third party adapters as the Q, with formware 1.10 asks for the focal length at start up.

Dale
11-01-2012, 05:37 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The noise reduction can be set to low but not off. Think the Raw files also have noise reduction applied. Your best bet may actually be to turn NR to auto. If the subject is bright enough camera may turn NR off. No way to know for sure.

Exposure
If the moon has been up a few hours and there are no clouds you can use the sunny 16 rule. Proper exposure is f16 and iso becomes your shutter speed. ( f16 at 1/125 iso125). Your Celestron is probably about f10, so compensate by raising shutter speed by about 1 full step to 1/250. Sunny 16 rule works because the moon is lit by the sun. The moon is not dark. This is about as bright as the moon can be. Bracket a few shots with faster shutter speeds.

Alternatve exposure method set Q to M or AV exposure mode. Set meter to spot. Shoot shots at normal, and +2/3.
Thanks
barondla
11-02-2012, 01:51 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the info !

Today I did try to use the flash and also my af360fgz and with the adapter on and smc-dfa 100/2,8 macro but the pentax q will not shoot faster the 1/13 when flash is in use
way is it so ?
Kindly bjorsa
11-02-2012, 02:09 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by bjorsa Quote
Thanks for the info !

Today I did try to use the flash and also my af360fgz and with the adapter on and smc-dfa 100/2,8 macro but the pentax q will not shoot faster the 1/13 when flash is in use
way is it so ?
Kindly bjorsa
That is because you are using the electronic shutter.

Faster flash sync is only possible with the official Pentax K to Q adapter with the mechanical leaf shutter or the 01, 02, 06 lenses that also have a built in leaf shutter.