Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2012, 05:40 PM   #46
Riv

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by spellcaster Quote
that, is just sooooo great

by the way, i never noticed that the q can work like "quickshift" when used with 01 lens (i dont have 02 to test but i guess its the same)
if u got the "x2/4 when manual focusing" activated, you makes the focus on AF, hold shutter half run, then just rotate the manual focus ring on lens,
make focus precisely through "focus peaking + x4 view", and anywhere you want it to focus on it will keep your focus choice, and focus is perfect.

maybe i'm kinda late with that,

anyway, focus peaking gives it a real boost!

Don't feel bad, I always thought RAW was RAW and all the image settings in the camera only came into play if you shot jpg. Now I'm finding out the 11 Custom Image settings can be applied to shooting RAW also.

Even when you've read the manual, it's funny what old features you learn when new firmware comes out

10-25-2012, 06:20 PM   #47

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Firmware v1.01 (only released a week or so ago) certainly improved the AF speed.
I'm not sure v1.10 has improved it further....
Eh? Firmware 1.01 has been out for about a year...
10-25-2012, 06:24 PM   #48

Nice find. I'm going to wait to see feedback roll in before updating--I was on the early bandwagon for my Fuji x-pro 1 fw2.0, and there are some new "features" that make me want to go back to the prior version

That said, focus peaking rocks on the k-01, it sure will be nice on the Q.

Someone with an updated Q, please try this:
Set your quick dial to change color modes. Set capture to RAW+. Choose an easily identifiable color mode by rotating the quick dial (say, reversal film). Shoot a pic. Go into play mode, edit that raw--can you change to B&W (or any other easily identifiable color mode?)

If so... Yay!! That bug drives me nuts, and keeps me from using the sweet little quick dial.
10-25-2012, 06:43 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm so happy for you Q owners - I really had my doubts that Pentax would do this. I don't own a Q yet, but if I find that rogue super deal I'll have to get into this with you guys. Too many other cameras right now........

10-25-2012, 06:46 PM   #50
Pentaxian

I'm having trouble using an external manual (non-pttl) flash on adapted lenses, even with the slow 1/13 sync speed. Is this just me? I feel like Q+Flash is a guessing game even under the best circumstances. Sometimes 1/2000, sometimes 1/250, sometimes 1/13, sometimes impossible.

Last edited by Aegon; 10-25-2012 at 06:54 PM.
10-25-2012, 07:04 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For all of you wondering about the AF speed with the new FW i found this video and it actually looks faster:
The blog post in Japanese: ?PENTAX Q? ???? Part.5 ??????????????? | tizu.diary
QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
I'm having trouble using an external manual (non-pttl) flash on adapted lenses, even with the slow 1/13 sync speed. Is this just me? I feel like Q+Flash is a guessing game even under the best circumstances. Sometimes 1/2000, sometimes 1/250, sometimes 1/13, sometimes impossible.
My Sigma EF 530 DG Super seems to wor perfectly with my Q, but it's a P-TTL one. Ironically it doesn't work as well with the K-5 I bought it for.
10-25-2012, 08:20 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Finally, a long overdue firmware update for the Q. As always, there are no specific details of what has been improved upon. AF has definitely improved, especially close focusing. Surprised the firmware reset the entire camera. Was seriously prepared to junk this camera had there been no firmware upgrade but like the K-01 firmware upgrade, it has transformed the mediocre to something better.
10-25-2012, 10:55 PM   #53
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ndjedinak Quote
Eh? Firmware 1.01 has been out for about a year...
Oops! I was confusing the recent v1.01 for the K-01 and new firmware for the 01 prime which came at about the same time

10-25-2012, 11:26 PM   #54
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pico Quote
Happened on the Japanese Pentax site and downloaded firmware 1.1

Focus Peaking is now part of the focus menu! I've tried it and it works. I have to say with the 4X magnification + peaking, it's a bit easier to manual focus now.

Latest PENTAX Q Firmware Update : Software Downloads | PENTAX RICOH IMAGING
Strange that K-5II has no focus peaking...
10-25-2012, 11:44 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ndjedinak Quote
Nice find. I'm going to wait to see feedback roll in before updating--I was on the early bandwagon for my Fuji x-pro 1 fw2.0, and there are some new "features" that make me want to go back to the prior version

That said, focus peaking rocks on the k-01, it sure will be nice on the Q.

Someone with an updated Q, please try this:
Set your quick dial to change color modes. Set capture to RAW+. Choose an easily identifiable color mode by rotating the quick dial (say, reversal film). Shoot a pic. Go into play mode, edit that raw--can you change to B&W (or any other easily identifiable color mode?)

If so... Yay!! That bug drives me nuts, and keeps me from using the sweet little quick dial.

no, doesn't work. you can choose another color mode in the raw development screen but it doesn't apply it to the pic. and if you hit +/- for parameter changes, you can see them but you cant alter them. that has to be a firmware gremlin, surely? because you CAN fully develop pics taken with the quick dial off.
10-26-2012, 02:57 AM   #56
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Finally, a long overdue firmware update for the Q. As always, there are no specific details of what has been improved upon. AF has definitely improved, especially close focusing. Surprised the firmware reset the entire camera. Was seriously prepared to junk this camera had there been no firmware upgrade but like the K-01 firmware upgrade, it has transformed the mediocre to something better.
Have you checked the Q10 Manual? The changes appear to be documented there.

http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/man-pdf/q10.pdf

Cheers... M
10-26-2012, 03:51 AM   #57

QuoteOriginally posted by saladin Quote
no, doesn't work. you can choose another color mode in the raw development screen but it doesn't apply it to the pic. and if you hit +/- for parameter changes, you can see them but you cant alter them. that has to be a firmware gremlin, surely? because you CAN fully develop pics taken with the quick dial off.
BUMMER! This has bugged me since day 1, and renders the quick dial much less useful. Ah well.

Thank you for checking!!
10-26-2012, 03:54 AM   #58

I'm a little nervous undocumented changes that affect the noise reduction and image process are in this update. I would very much appreciate a RAW + JPG of an outdoor scene from an owner who has already updated with the following settings: reversal film mode, fine sharpness +1, ISO 125, shadow enhancement OFF. If anyone is game, LMK
10-26-2012, 03:56 AM   #59

Inspecting the Q10 manual right now...
Did anyone already check if the SR improvements were ported to the movie compartment? Last time I tried was causing me motion sickness...

Anyway this FW update is BIG NEWS!

Inviato dal mio Nexus 7 con Tapatalk 2
10-26-2012, 06:55 AM   #60
Pentaxian

Yes, SR can be used with the K to Q adapter - instructions:

http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/digital/pdf/Howtouse_K-mount_lens.pdf