Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2012, 01:35 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I made a quick demo of the Q focus peaking. It works great with the standard prime I must say. I hope that it makes shooting with a 100mm on the Q a bit easier so I'm off to try that next.

10-27-2012, 12:07 PM   #77

That's fantastic!! Thanks for the video demo. Looks just like the K-01.
10-27-2012, 12:38 PM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ndjedinak Quote
That's fantastic!! Thanks for the video demo. Looks just like the K-01.
Indeed it does! However the screen on the K-01 is more refined making it a somewhat easier experience. I just can't keep my hands from applauding Pentax for implementing this in the Q. It would have been so easy to just do it for the Q10 to perhaps net a few more sales.
10-27-2012, 05:16 PM   #79
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm so happy I'm thinking about writing a thank-you letter to Pentax. I've never done that before for a company.

10-27-2012, 07:02 PM   #80
Forum Member

I agree,
That move from pentax ricoh is really a nice gift to pentax Q users
10-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #81
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nater Quote
I'm so happy I'm thinking about writing a thank-you letter to Pentax. I've never done that before for a company.
I pointed our local Pentax office to this thread already, and they said they'd forward it on to Japan. I hope they read some of these comments of praise!
10-28-2012, 04:08 PM   #82
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
I pointed our local Pentax office to this thread already, and they said they'd forward it on to Japan. I hope they read some of these comments of praise!
I hope they see that for costumers this is a sign of a company in good shape and a bright future. Lack of support do the opposite.
Sadly I haven't got any response from Q owners here in Sweden on one of the biggest photography forums. I take it as the Q's sadly are as rare as I thought, I only know of one other owner.

10-28-2012, 04:45 PM - 2 Likes   #83
Veteran Member

Ricoh showed lots of love to the early adopters with this FW upgrade, I was going to honestly dump the Q as I wasn't excited about the Q10, it just isn't appealing to me, I do like the all black but it doesn't seem like it's coming out in the US. And I was an early adopter of the Q, I pre-ordered mine, I feel like internally I got a brand new camera with the same classic magnesium alloy body I love. And with the old Q discontinued it feels like the FW upgrade was a thank you from ricoh as now we have the better body with the new bells and whistles of the Q10. Because of this move I have high hopes from pentax now as a company who's loyal to it's customers...
10-28-2012, 05:55 PM   #84
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax did a great job with the FW update. I hope the realize how many customers they have made happy with this gift. Showing my gratitude by buying a second Q(white) with the zoom.
thanks
barondla
10-28-2012, 06:29 PM   #85

QuoteOriginally posted by bmonki Quote
Ricoh showed lots of love to the early adopters with this FW upgrade, I was going to honestly dump the Q as I wasn't excited about the Q10, it just isn't appealing to me, I do like the all black but it doesn't seem like it's coming out in the US. And I was an early adopter of the Q, I pre-ordered mine, I feel like internally I got a brand new camera with the same classic magnesium alloy body I love. And with the old Q discontinued it feels like the FW upgrade was a thank you from ricoh as now we have the better body with the new bells and whistles of the Q10. Because of this move I have high hopes from pentax now as a company who's loyal to it's customers...
Ricoh has a history of doing this (with the GR D, at least). Typically there is at least one minor FW enhancement and then when the new model has been developed one last major FW update to bring as many new features as possible into the old body. I suspect this was heavily influenced by Ricoh; I'd love to see the Q get the development and support of the GR line, and this could bode well for that.
10-29-2012, 03:16 PM   #86
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Pentax did a great job with the FW update. I hope the realize how many customers they have made happy with this gift. Showing my gratitude by buying a second Q(white) with the zoom.
thanks
barondla

as i already bought the white one to my wife, i really think about buying that FE toy lens for my own pentax Q !

like someone said before, that's a real show of love to early customers!

most of pentaxists are almost emotional considering pentax products, and i didn't used to feel that way, i'm not really a huge marketting/consummering fan, and i tend to think about products i buy just like tools i use,
but that move from pentax ricoh makes me think different...
actually, in a world where u got to buy every new model for the smallest little add on your product, i really enjoy that the Q , and maybe pentax ricoh, doesn't belongs to that all marketting bu****tt world we see these days (did i mentioned apple? )
they build strong products that are made in purpose to be able to last like forever, and still give a great support over it.
i were already a huge fan of the keep and use capability of K mount over technology and ages, but that move is like a "we wont let you down" message from pentax/ricoh, and as a customer and a tool user, i really really apreciate that!

actually, thinking further about it, isn't ricoh already on that path with gxr system?

planned obsolescence doesn't seems to belong to marketting path for pentax, and that's something i appréciate.

i still buying pentax products because they suit my needs,
if they suits my points of views, then i'm glad

Last edited by spellcaster; 10-29-2012 at 03:25 PM.
10-29-2012, 03:33 PM   #87

QuoteOriginally posted by spellcaster Quote
as i already bought the white one to my wife, i really think about buying that FE toy lens for my own pentax Q !

like someone said before, that's a real show of love to early customers!

most of pentaxists are almost emotional considering pentax products, and i didn't used to feel that way, i'm not really a huge marketting/consummering fan, and i tend to think about products i buy just like tools i use,
but that move from pentax ricoh makes me think different...
actually, in a world where u got to buy every new model for the smallest little add on your product, i really enjoy that the Q , and maybe pentax ricoh, doesn't belongs to that all marketting bu****tt world we see these days (did i mentioned apple? )
they build strong products that are made in purpose to be able to last like forever, and still give a great support over it.
i were already a huge fan of the keep and use capability of K mount over technology and ages, but that move is like a "we wont let you down" message from pentax/ricoh, and as a customer and a tool user, i really really apreciate that!

actually, thinking further about it, isn't ricoh already on that path with gxr system?

planned obsolescence doesn't seems to belong to marketting path for pentax, and that's something i appréciate.

i still buying pentax products because they suit my needs,
if they suits my points of views, then i'm glad
I have rewarded Pentax by the order of a Black Q body to go with my orphaned 01 Prime lens.

concerning the GXR, we are all waiting for any communication from Ricoh about new products. There is no confirmation or even strong rumor for a KAF or Q module for the GXR... just wishful thinking. Today one can get a very good mechanical Pentax K to Leica M adapter from novoflex that has an aperture control ring for DA optics. For a GXR dedicated K or Q module, it should have AF capability.
10-29-2012, 05:24 PM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GXRUser Quote
I have rewarded Pentax by the order of a Black Q body to go with my orphaned 01 Prime lens.

concerning the GXR, we are all waiting for any communication from Ricoh about new products. There is no confirmation or even strong rumor for a KAF or Q module for the GXR... just wishful thinking. Today one can get a very good mechanical Pentax K to Leica M adapter from novoflex that has an aperture control ring for DA optics. For a GXR dedicated K or Q module, it should have AF capability.
Woah, I dont even know why people keep on even saying this, you want a auto focus K mount camera get a K mount camera, the GXR with an AF K mount adapter will be bigger than a K-5, prolly cost more too. I can really see a Q mount though, pentax even said in the interview they were thinking about that and or tried it or something like that, the GXR has a bigger body and EVF, could be the ultimate birding tool...
10-29-2012, 05:41 PM   #89

QuoteOriginally posted by bmonki Quote
Woah, I dont even know why people keep on even saying this, you want a auto focus K mount camera get a K mount camera, the GXR with an AF K mount adapter will be bigger than a K-5, prolly cost more too. I can really see a Q mount though, pentax even said in the interview they were thinking about that and or tried it or something like that, the GXR has a bigger body and EVF, could be the ultimate birding tool...
Those who want a KAF module for the GXR have a reason...

1) There is not an APS sensor module for the GXR with a short telephoto prime lens. (I don't want the A16 zoom...)

2) There is not an APS sensor module for the GXR that has an aperture wider than f2.5

If Ricoh takes the GXR mount module (M Mount) as the base for any KAF module because of it's focal plane shutter, then it would be possible to mount the DA 70mm limited f2.4 or FA limited 77mm. These would be very useful portrait lenses with the GXR.

The issue is that one can find wonderful M Mount manual focus lenses or adapt manual focus OM or K mount lenses to the M Mount today with a Voigtlander, Rayqual, or Novoflex adapter.

To have any value as a new module, it would need be AF.

Now another approach would be to take the Pentax 50mm f1.4 or Pentax DA 70mm optics and create new dedicated AF modules for the GXR. Use of a leaf shutter would be wonderful. That would be a very reasonable approach as well.

I totally agree with you that a Q mount module for the GXR would be very useful for the EVF. It would make a superb birding rig.

SInce this is a Q forum, I would love a Q2 or a Q11 that had a port under the hot shoe to accept a Ricoh/Pentax EVF. I would like it to be fixed, but a hinging EVF to allow view from above (like the Ricoh EVF or Olympus EVF) is very acceptable. The release of the Q10 without the EVF port is a missed opportunity. If the Q10 is based upon decisions from Hoya managers, lets hope that Ricoh will bring EVF capability to the Q (and the K-01) as well. A K-01 with EVF, integrated (my choice) or add on would eliminate a need for a GXR with a KAF mount.

Last edited by GXRUser; 10-29-2012 at 05:48 PM.
10-29-2012, 06:12 PM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GXRUser Quote

SInce this is a Q forum, I would love a Q2 or a Q11 that had a port under the hot shoe to accept a Ricoh/Pentax EVF. I would like it to be fixed, but a hinging EVF to allow view from above (like the Ricoh EVF or Olympus EVF) is very acceptable. The release of the Q10 without the EVF port is a missed opportunity. If the Q10 is based upon decisions from Hoya managers, lets hope that Ricoh will bring EVF capability to the Q (and the K-01) as well. A K-01 with EVF, integrated (my choice) or add on would eliminate a need for a GXR with a KAF mount.
Actually the Ricoh EVF would make sense for the new iteration of the Q, I use OVFs with my q and since the camera is so small my nose gets in the way, granted I do have a larger than normal nose, but not that huge, it gets in the way though... The top down view of the Ricoh EVF would be awesome... I think all the cameras that have been released so far have been Hoya projects, they just don't look ricoh. Ricoh has this government issued military look to there cameras, like they do everything you need em to do but lack the new age looks...