Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2012, 06:32 PM   #91

QuoteOriginally posted by bmonki Quote
Woah, I dont even know why people keep on even saying this, you want a auto focus K mount camera get a K mount camera, the GXR with an AF K mount adapter will be bigger than a K-5, prolly cost more too. I can really see a Q mount though, pentax even said in the interview they were thinking about that and or tried it or something like that, the GXR has a bigger body and EVF, could be the ultimate birding tool...
I tend to agree--might as well get a K-01. Better sensor, cheaper than a GXR module, and includes a lens!

Save the rest for a nice Leica lens for portraits. Maybe a 90 'cron, love that lens...

10-29-2012, 06:36 PM   #92

Actually the Ricoh EVF would make sense for the new iteration of the Q, I use OVFs with my q and since the camera is so small my nose gets in the way, granted I do have a larger than normal nose, but not that huge, it gets in the way though... The top down view of the Ricoh EVF would be awesome... I think all the cameras that have been released so far have been Hoya projects, they just don't look ricoh. Ricoh has this government issued military look to there cameras, like they do everything you need em to do but lack the new age looks...
I like the looks, go figure! Ok, the GXR is a little goofy from some angles, but the general gestalt I dig. And the GR D, which looks like a chip off the 'ol GR1 block. Fantastic construction, too, both of them. For some reason magnesium bodies feel so much better than aluminum; there's a thickness, weight, and warmth to them that the thin-skinned alu bodies don't have.
10-31-2012, 08:58 AM   #93

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ndjedinak Quote
Nice find. I'm going to wait to see feedback roll in before updating--I was on the early bandwagon for my Fuji x-pro 1 fw2.0, and there are some new "features" that make me want to go back to the prior version

That said, focus peaking rocks on the k-01, it sure will be nice on the Q.

Someone with an updated Q, please try this:
Set your quick dial to change color modes. Set capture to RAW+. Choose an easily identifiable color mode by rotating the quick dial (say, reversal film). Shoot a pic. Go into play mode, edit that raw--can you change to B&W (or any other easily identifiable color mode?)

If so... Yay!! That bug drives me nuts, and keeps me from using the sweet little quick dial.
I normally shoot [RAW+5Mp], so:
I set front dial to Bold Monochrome - shot one pic, it saved as JPEG (resolution 5 Mp),
then you'll have to save the RAW-data by pressing the [Av +/-] button ... and there you have your RAW!
I don't know if you could do that in 1.01 - never thought that far, didn't use the dial.
thanks/Erik
10-31-2012, 11:49 AM   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I hope they see that for costumers this is a sign of a company in good shape and a bright future. Lack of support do the opposite.
Sadly I haven't got any response from Q owners here in Sweden on one of the biggest photography forums. I take it as the Q's sadly are as rare as I thought, I only know of one other owner.
I'm in Sweden, and I just ordered a Q. (So the numbers of Swedish Q owners you know about just doubled!)

And for anyone wondering, yes I wanted focus peaking (and don't much like the look of the Q10).

10-31-2012, 01:16 PM   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
I'm in Sweden, and I just ordered a Q. (So the numbers of Swedish Q owners you know about just doubled!)

And for anyone wondering, yes I wanted focus peaking (and don't much like the look of the Q10).
So you mean that Pentax just increased their Q market share in Sweden by 50%? That's great numbers!
10-31-2012, 05:33 PM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
So you mean that Pentax just increased their Q market share in Sweden by 50%? That's great numbers!
I think we might have to call it "known market share" or something, to be a little more honest.. But on the other hand the numbers of course "speak for themselves", so we don't have to call it anything.

Also, the place I bought it from seems to have sold another (one less in stock) since I bought mine. It's obviously an exponential trend we're looking at here!
11-03-2012, 05:27 AM   #97

QuoteOriginally posted by Erich_H Quote
I normally shoot [RAW+5Mp], so:
I set front dial to Bold Monochrome - shot one pic, it saved as JPEG (resolution 5 Mp),
then you'll have to save the RAW-data by pressing the [Av +/-] button ... and there you have your RAW!
I don't know if you could do that in 1.01 - never thought that far, didn't use the dial.
thanks/Erik
You could do this in 1.01, I have done so when trying out the BC mode. It is handy in a pinch, or to try something out, but not as a matter of course as it slows down shooting so much.

11-03-2012, 04:13 PM   #98
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ricoh showed lots of love to the early adopters with this FW upgrade, I was going to honestly dump the Q as I wasn't excited about the Q10, it just isn't appealing to me, I do like the all black but it doesn't seem like it's coming out in the US. And I was an early adopter of the Q, I pre-ordered mine, I feel like internally I got a brand new camera with the same classic magnesium alloy body I love. And with the old Q discontinued it feels like the FW upgrade was a thank you from ricoh as now we have the better body with the new bells and whistles of the Q10. Because of this move I have high hopes from pentax now as a company who's loyal to it's customers...
Excellent post. Exactly what I was thinking about this move by Ricoh.

To Pentax-Ricoh,
Excellent move supporting current owners of the original Q! Very thoughtful and considerate. You have earned more loyalty with this firmware release.
11-03-2012, 04:46 PM   #99
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Firmware update is a very kind gesture by Ricoh and Pentax. Has already started to pay off. Getting a second Q/Q10. That may be after the K-01 body I saw while looking at the Q10. Arghhh.
thanks
barondla
11-03-2012, 06:22 PM   #100

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Firmware update is a very kind gesture by Ricoh and Pentax. Has already started to pay off. Getting a second Q/Q10. That may be after the K-01 body I saw while looking at the Q10. Arghhh.
thanks
barondla
Haha! We have a k01, also. Lovely camera.
11-12-2012, 03:30 PM   #101
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi Shawn,

The Q allows SR to be activated on the half shutter or all the time as the user chooses. Having it on all the time does help one to stay on target if handholding, but it eats batteries like crazy, and battery longevity has never been an advantage for the Q. Good thing they're cheap and small. . .

Although I agree with your last two points, I don't find either a high priority for me. The Peaking works pretty well for me though it is subtle if there's low contast.

Scott
Is this option available also with the "original" Q firmware?
(I haven't done the update yet).

Thanks. JP
11-12-2012, 04:31 PM   #102
Veteran Member

I don't think so...
11-12-2012, 05:53 PM   #103
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
I don't think so...
OK, well, I will still hold off to the upgrade (firmware) yet until they (Pentax) figure out this discrepancy in sharpness between Firmware V.1.01 vs. V. 1.10.

Cheers! JP
11-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #104
Veteran Member

JP it is believed that the current Q firmware could be the last (for this precise model, not Q10). It seems that it's Ricoh's way of doing things to publish one last major update before abandoning development for a device.
11-13-2012, 03:50 AM   #105

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi Shawn,

You could be right. What I had observed wass that when in Option 1, the white SR indicator on the LCD turns green when I half press, and from experience, I know that with the DSLRs, this indicates that SR is spun up and active. With the Kx and K-5, it was sometimes possible to gain focus lock and trip the shutter before SR was spun up, and the exif indicated that SR was not active for that shot, which usually would show more than normal camera shake. Assuming that with the smaller sensor, complete activation takes less time, it's possible that this is virtually instantaneous, but I had thought that it would be reasonable to start activation before the shutter actually trips.

Then again, when my Q is set to option 2, there is a constant keening sound when I move the camera, and with Option 1, the sound starts with the shutter trip. I'd say that there's more chance that you are correct, but it's really a small difference in actual operation.

Scott
I got a couple of these: SR Mode 1 - and I got a couple exifs w/o SR. I guess you'll have to keep an eye on the screen...
Thanks/Erik