Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2012, 06:33 PM - 1 Like   #1

Shooting "Reversal Film" on the Q

I have recently become enamored with the Reversal Film setting on the Q. Previously, I struggled with it; largely because I wasn't using custom WB, and results can be unpredictable without good WB (and downright nasty, if shooting indoors). I posted a blog entry with some tips http://ndjedinak.blogspot.com/2012/10/pentax-q-reversal-film-simulation.htmlhere, hope you find some useful information to enjoy your Q even more!

Let me know if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions!

10-25-2012, 06:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice guide! I haven't set any settings so I'll try this one out.
10-25-2012, 07:05 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good read, I've not been impressed with the default colour rendition lately, time to try something different.
10-26-2012, 05:07 AM   #4

I've been shooting reversal almost all the time since I got the Q - it gives me results that I like
Fujian C-mount f1,4/50mm

Last edited by Erich_H; 11-20-2012 at 05:57 AM.
10-26-2012, 05:14 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Thanks for this - I'm interested in the Q, and this simulation looks right down my alley.
10-26-2012, 05:28 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Noise?

Was playing around with adapted lens on Q. Normally shoot on natural setting for this. Decided to use reversal film for a few shots. Subject was buiding about 1/8 mile away. RF made the shot punchier and better looking. Then I magnify the lcd image to decide the optimum aperture of the tele lens. Even in very light gray to almost white areas there is noise. Approx made iso 125 look like 400. Anyone else run into this? Have been using RF for other situations but now not so sure. These were shot iso125, Raw( shouldn't matter on lcd), tripod, camera noise reduction set to minimum, and exposed pretty far to the right. This was before firmware 1.10.
thanks
barondla
10-26-2012, 05:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I don't know what software comes with the Q, but if it similar to what comes with the K-5 you can make these changes in the software after taking your shot in a normal mode.

I do this quite a bit with my K-5 images where I can take any shot and convert it to any of the custom color modes including film reversal mode. Plus you can easily adjust your white balance there also.

In the screen shot, in the far right panel at the top, is a drop down menu for "camera setting" - this drop down will have all the different modes.

I'd like to hear if the software included with the Q is the same as this as the Q is on my short list once I sell off a couple things.

Last edited by photolady95; 04-17-2016 at 01:45 AM.
10-28-2012, 12:59 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Was playing around with adapted lens on Q. Normally shoot on natural setting for this. Decided to use reversal film for a few shots. Subject was buiding about 1/8 mile away. RF made the shot punchier and better looking. Then I magnify the lcd image to decide the optimum aperture of the tele lens. Even in very light gray to almost white areas there is noise. Approx made iso 125 look like 400. Anyone else run into this? Have been using RF for other situations but now not so sure. These were shot iso125, Raw( shouldn't matter on lcd), tripod, camera noise reduction set to minimum, and exposed pretty far to the right. This was before firmware 1.10.
thanks
barondla
Barondla, do you have shadow correction set to AUTO or ON? If so, you will get more noise, even at ISO 125.

I just took a RAW Q shot I had of a building and "developed" it with reversal film and natural color modes. I switched back and forth at 100% and don't see an appreciable difference in noise; there is some shadow noise (as always with this sensor), but nothing radically different and I can see the same noise in the same pixels in both images. The RF image has slightly more noise in the blue channel in shadows, the Natural has slightly more noise in greens (likely masked by contrast in RF image). So I'm not seeing what you are seeing.

That said, I'm not noise averse; I actually like the noise the Q produces as it "feels" film like to me. My settings of Highlight/Shadow OFF, NR LOW, and fine sharpness +1 produce a nice, fine noise texture at base ISO. It's nowhere near noise-free, but neither is the film I shoot; I prefer the Q's organic noise to digititis noise reduction that obscures details. I notice a large difference between ISO 125 and 250, which is why I turn off Highlight compensation (which doesn't seem all that effective to me, anyway).

Pre-firmware 1.1 you won't have the benefits introduced in Fine Sharpness mode; is there a reason you don't run FW 1.1?

10-28-2012, 01:01 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I don't know what software comes with the Q, but if it similar to what comes with the K-5 you can make these changes in the software after taking your shot in a normal mode.

I'd like to hear if the software included with the Q is the same as this as the Q is on my short list once I sell off a couple things.
Storm tech, I am allergic to post-processing so I can't answer the question directly; however, the Q allows you to apply all "development" options in camera post-capture... So you can do what you suggest directly in the camera, at the very least.