Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2012, 04:00 PM - 1 Like   #1

05 Telephoto Focusing Question

Haven't quite gotten my head around focusing the 05 telephoto yet for distance stuff. It seems to focus *past* infinity?

For example, shooting across the track area of the school next door to our house - best guess, subject is 60ish+ yards away here - I have to back off a bit from infinity for things to be anywhere near focused.

100% crop focused at Infinity:

100% crop - backed off maybe 2 tick marks from infinity:

Anybody else experience this or have thoughts? My eyes are that great anymore, so not having any sort of focus confirmation can be a little tough! Getting old sucks folks!

It's an interesting lens. I can almost do macro with it. Below is a full uncropped frame. No adjustments made to the image other than to resize to post here (direct conversion from RAW).
Flower is approx 3 inches across.

10-27-2012, 04:18 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have that lens, but it is entirely possible. Lens manufacturers started doing this because it is easier to make (doesn't have to be precisely aligned and measured and checked) and also because it allows for things like temperature change (temperature can cause parts of the lens to change size, which can affect the focusing mechanism). Its best to try your lens and learn where its actual infinity lies. The other thing is, you might not have to actually focus at infinity. Even 60 yards isn't necessarily 'infinity'
10-27-2012, 07:21 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The two toy lenses both focus past infinity. Doesn't seem like there was much effort spent to "calibrate" the focus marks with anything. Guess that is why they are toy lenses. Still fun to play with and useful.
thanks
barondla
10-28-2012, 01:19 PM   #4

The fisheye does this, also.

I think it's part of the fun...

10-28-2012, 06:41 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ndjedinak Quote
The fisheye does this, also.

I think it's part of the fun...
10-28-2012, 06:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the laugh!
10-28-2012, 10:19 PM   #7

Original Poster
I believe the new 1.10 firmware with focus peaking will solve my problems!
Have installed it, but haven't had time for any tests yet. Will report back in a day or three once I've had time to give it a go.