Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2012, 10:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Sonnetars no longer in production...

Looks like bellamy over at JCH said that they are no longer in production, I think there is something like 4 left on ebay, probably the only 4 left to be sold outside of japan...

I'll share some shots with this wonderful lens...

10-28-2012, 03:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DavidOBryan Quote
Are you still using this lens much?
of course, I love this lens, especially now with the SR and FP, it's a whole new beast...
10-28-2012, 04:42 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As popular as the Q system is now do you think there will be new focal length Sonnetars? Q owners would buy a fast wide. Focus peaking and SR should make Sonnetars even more desireable. Hope the designer hasn't lost interest in the Q system.
thanks
barondla
10-28-2012, 01:15 PM   #4

Nice shots!! I particularly like the colors in the first two.

I'd normally spring for one of these, as I love fast glass and the Q has so little to offer at this time, but 25mm (~135mm effective) is just a bit long for me. I have a 135/4.5 Hektor for my Leica M3, and I've enjoyed it when I use it, but the opportunities just aren't that frequent for me. For something like shooting my daughter it might be nice, although I'm more of a 90mm portrait shooter... And I think I'd have to stop it down to 2.8 or so, anyway, to get acceptably sharp shots with the amount she moves (I swear she is a vibrating atom...).

And because of that I keep thinking the new Q tele zoom is likely a better option for me. With the money left over, I could buy a kern paillard 25/1.4 if I really wanted to.

What I REALLY want is a 28mm (effective) prime... I'm more of a wide guy. 28 and 50 with an occasional 90 and even more occasional 21.

I don't know, I keep pondering this lens but never pull the trigger. Thanks for posting, I guess I better make my mind up now, rather than later.

10-28-2012, 02:14 PM   #5

"What I REALLY want is a 28mm (effective) prime... I'm more of a wide guy. 28 and 50 with an occasional 90 and even more occasional 21. "

Check out C and D mount lenses. I have a Pentax/Cosmicar 4.6mm f1.8 lens (effective 25mm) and just picked up a Pentax/Cosmicar 6mm f1.2 (effective 33mm) C mount lenses. The 6mm is soft at 1.2 but gets much sharper when stopped down.

For fast 25mm lenses there is a Petax/Cosmicar f1.4 that is pretty sharp at 1.4. I have a couple of Computars that are f1.3 but they are softer wide open and a Senko/Navitar f0.95.

Shawn
10-28-2012, 03:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
As popular as the Q system is now do you think there will be new focal length Sonnetars? Q owners would buy a fast wide. Focus peaking and SR should make Sonnetars even more desireable. Hope the designer hasn't lost interest in the Q system.
thanks
barondla
I highly doubt it, it's a one man operation and he's pumping out the 50 1.1 sonnetar in M mount right now. From what I know this lens was originally a M43 lens, he probably changed the mounts to Q mount and the M43 sonnetar never saw the light of day. I never really liked the 135mm either, but when you have one in the palm of your hand with a super fast aperture it's a whole different thing.
10-28-2012, 04:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Shawn67 Quote
"What I REALLY want is a 28mm (effective) prime... I'm more of a wide guy. 28 and 50 with an occasional 90 and even more occasional 21. "

Check out C and D mount lenses. I have a Pentax/Cosmicar 4.6mm f1.8 lens (effective 25mm) and just picked up a Pentax/Cosmicar 6mm f1.2 (effective 33mm) C mount lenses. The 6mm is soft at 1.2 but gets much sharper when stopped down.

For fast 25mm lenses there is a Petax/Cosmicar f1.4 that is pretty sharp at 1.4. I have a couple of Computars that are f1.3 but they are softer wide open and a Senko/Navitar f0.95.

Shawn
Not a fan of the C mount or D mount wides, I have a kern paillard 5.5mm D mount that has heavy vignetting, extremely sharp even wide open though, great contrast and colors it's insane, but the vignetting kills it for me and been trying to get rid of it on the bay for the longest, I would bet the 25mm Switar that goes on ebay for the big bucks is just as nice. But like you I also want a fast 28mm equiv, that would be the last Q lens I buy, I've owned them all and sold em all besides 01, couldn't even sell the toy wide so I've just embraced it and now use it along side my other lenses. But I'm gonna do some research into that wide cosmicar, I've read the pentax/cosmicars are nice lenses even with multicoating...
10-28-2012, 04:30 PM   #8

" Not a fan of the C mount or D mount wides, I have a kern paillard 5.5mm D mount that has heavy vignetting"

I haven't tried a D mount that wide (I have a 13mm) but the 6mm and the 4.8mm Pentax C mounts don't vignette at all on the Q. I posted some sample shots of the 4.8mm in this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/172196-lets-share-shots-q-30.html#post2134234

Main trick with the 4.8mm is that it is fixed focus and I had to shim the C to Q mount adapter slightly which helped sharpen it up. I really like that lens on the Q.

I haven't had much of a chance to use the 6mm yet so I don't have any samples online yet.

Shawn

10-28-2012, 04:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Shawn67 Quote
" Not a fan of the C mount or D mount wides, I have a kern paillard 5.5mm D mount that has heavy vignetting"

I haven't tried a D mount that wide (I have a 13mm) but the 6mm and the 4.8mm Pentax C mounts don't vignette at all on the Q. I posted some sample shots of the 4.8mm in this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/172196-lets-share-shots-q-30.html#post2134234

Main trick with the 4.8mm is that it is fixed focus and I had to shim the C to Q mount adapter slightly which helped sharpen it up. I really like that lens on the Q.

Shawn
The images don't look bad, the colors are good and it's sharp in the center and soft on the outside in a good way, I never go wider than 28 - 30 though, so I might be able to work with the 6mm, but now having focus peaking, adjusting the focus for a fixed lens is probably very easy now. I don't know, started this post to let people know the sonnetar is out of production and I was seduced into pondering another new lens haha. I need to pick up the voigtlander nokton in K mount before tehy are extinct in the stores and the K to Q adapter before I ponder any new Q lenses, hopefully by than Pentax would have released a proper wide angle prime.
10-28-2012, 04:56 PM   #10

" The images don't look bad, the colors are good and it's sharp in the center and soft on the outside in a good way,"

Some of that softness on the corners (the chairs shot esp.) is simply OOF due to the chair being inches away.

" but now having focus peaking, adjusting the focus for a fixed lens is probably very easy now."

Actually, focus peaking is basically useless on the 4.8mm or 6mm. Just about everything is in focus and the attempt at enhancement from the peaking actually makes it a little harder to gauge sharpness. When I was shimming the 4.8mm what worked best was comparing jpgs ( with different amounts of shimming) using the built in side by side comparison and zoom them both in. Now that I have that set there is no focusing on that lens at all. Just mount it and shoot.

The 6mm has adjustable focus, so you don't have to shim it unless you want infinity to match up. What is odd about that lens though is focus changes when you change aperture. If you have something in focus wide open and then stop it down a few stops what was in focus will no longer be and you have to readjust focus. I need to play with the flange distance and see if that alters that behavior.

Shawn
10-28-2012, 05:14 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
that sounds like more work than I'm willing to do haha... Pentax seriously needs to get on this wide angle issue for the Q...
10-28-2012, 05:39 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Love the look of your images bmonki. The Sonnetar has a very nice rendering to it. You must be very happy that Pentax added focus peaking and SR shake reduction to the Q.

You also shoot the K-01. Do you find peaking different to use on it vs the Q? I seem to get along better with the Q version but I have no idea why.

Wish there was a wideangle Sonnetar!
thanks
barondla
10-28-2012, 05:57 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by bmonki Quote
that sounds like more work than I'm willing to do haha... Pentax seriously needs to get on this wide angle issue for the Q...
It would be nice if Pentax built a real wide angle.

As far as the shimming on the 4.6 it turns out all that was needed was to loosen 3 allen screws to take the C to Q adapter apart, put three small squares of sticky note paper between the two sections of the C to Q adapter and then to put the two pieces together and tighten the 3 screws. Pretty easy. Most of the time I spent was when I was initially testing to lens and seeing if changing flange distance was improving the results or not.

Shawn
10-28-2012, 06:27 PM   #14

Barondla, I like peaking on the K-01, what about the Q do you find better? Just curious--I have no Q peaking experience yet.

Monki--post an image from the D mount. I love vignetting...
10-28-2012, 06:52 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ndjedinak Quote
Barondla, I like peaking on the K-01, what about the Q do you find better? Just curious--I have no Q peaking experience yet.

Monki--post an image from the D mount. I love vignetting...
ok, let me find a good subject and I'll have one up in a little...