Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2012, 11:46 PM   #1

Newbie needs help* What settings to use for vacation trip

I just bought a Q recently due to seeing a very good offer at 320$ for the Q and prime 01 kit. After reading various posts in this forum I've decided to bring the Q along for a Thailand trip with my wife. I will be using it mainly for taking photos of my wife, attraction and Thailand street & night life. As i'm very new to DLSR camera, can I know which settings should i keep mainly for the mentioned purposes. Should I set a few features to the quick dial so that it can offer me better flexibility, if it is then what are the best custom user choice should I put in these quick dials. Many thanks for reading my post!

10-30-2012, 12:03 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Someone here I saw posted some settings for the reversal film setting, if I shot JPEG I would use his settings for my default setting, it's small forum here so that person will probably chime in. I would also go in and set the front dial with some of the filters you like, I find bright is nice for nature, bold monochrome is fun, bleach bypass is good for bright urban shots to give a dark feel to them. Update to the latest firmware as low light focusing is way better and you said you want to shoot some night life.
10-30-2012, 04:03 AM - 1 Like   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by kyuuan Quote
I just bought a Q recently due to seeing a very good offer at 320$ for the Q and prime 01 kit. After reading various posts in this forum I've decided to bring the Q along for a Thailand trip with my wife. I will be using it mainly for taking photos of my wife, attraction and Thailand street & night life. As i'm very new to DLSR camera, can I know which settings should i keep mainly for the mentioned purposes. Should I set a few features to the quick dial so that it can offer me better flexibility, if it is then what are the best custom user choice should I put in these quick dials. Many thanks for reading my post!
Following are my preferred settings--others may or may not like them, so take some snaps and see what you think.

If you're OK with creating a custom WB indoors and anytime outdoors its not sunny, look up my thread on shooting Reversal Film. I personally love the look. The only tweak Reversal Film allows is sharpness, change this to Fine Sharpness +1.

At night use Natural, with the following changes: Hue +1, High/Low Key Adjustment +1, Contrast +4, Fine Sharpness +1. You can also use this all the time if you don't want to set custom WB as for reversal film.

Other settings: Turn Shadow and Highlight Compensation OFF. Noise Reduction should be set to LOW.

Shoot HDR Auto (Not 1 or 2!) when dynamic range is wide, or you feel like getting a little extra out of the JPG.

I would shoot RAW+ and avoid the front dial, FWIW. By using the front dial you "bake" that setting into the RAW (you can no longer change it if you develop in-camera). Apply digital filters after the shot when processing the RAW, to achieve creative and special looks.

One last tidbit: if you use eyefi, you will hear artifacts on movies.

Hope that helps... Enjoy Thailand!
10-30-2012, 07:35 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't forget to bring a couple memory cards, maybe a couple batteries as well. Having a little case is probably a good idea as well. Enjoy the camera
You will probably learn what settings work for you best by using the camera, especially once there.

10-30-2012, 08:27 AM   #5

Original Poster
Hey! I know this is the best place to ask such a question and I was right. Many thanks u guys for your swift and detailed replies. I just bought a screen protector for the LCD and a case for the Q. Tomorrow I will try various settings suggested by bmonki and ndjedinak and may as well post some pics
10-30-2012, 10:06 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Also, make sure you use the lowest ISO setting possible. I bought my first DSLR at the airport (duty-free) on my way to a two-week vacation. I set ISO at 800 while playing with the camera on the airplane and never remembered to change it back. I ended up with two weeks worth of very noisy jpgs from my once-in-a-lifetime vacation in Borneo...
10-31-2012, 05:23 AM   #7

Original Poster
I could not change the file format from JPEG to RAW although i followed the manual by turning off both Digital Filter and HDR Capture. What should i do to enable RAW shooting?
10-31-2012, 06:39 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Kyuun, welcome to Q ownersip and this forum. It will be a fun time.
Make sure you don't have the front mounted filter dial turned on. Also on info menu turn off hdr. Scene modes on control dial may also deactivate Raw.
good luck
barondla

post some pics.

10-31-2012, 08:48 AM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
Ha! thank you barondla, I just figured out after posting that I carelessly left the front dial at 1, that explained trwhy i couldnt get to shoot in RAW ^^. Anyway, i have a few questions after trying out few different settings with the Q:
1. What is the best approach with the Q so that i can get the most shallow DOF for portrait shooting? (how far from the person/ shutter speed, aperture..., mainly in day light)
2. As I am inexperienced, should I play around with JPEG or shoot RAW straight away?
3. What battery specification should I look onto when trying to find spare battery for my Q? (just identical mAh, charging current and voltage enough?)
Thank you guys for bearing with me. 2moro i'm flying, Thailand here i come
11-03-2012, 05:26 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by kyuuan Quote
Ha! thank you barondla, I just figured out after posting that I carelessly left the front dial at 1, that explained trwhy i couldnt get to shoot in RAW ^^. Anyway, i have a few questions after trying out few different settings with the Q:
1. What is the best approach with the Q so that i can get the most shallow DOF for portrait shooting? (how far from the person/ shutter speed, aperture..., mainly in day light)
2. As I am inexperienced, should I play around with JPEG or shoot RAW straight away?
3. What battery specification should I look onto when trying to find spare battery for my Q? (just identical mAh, charging current and voltage enough?)
Thank you guys for bearing with me. 2moro i'm flying, Thailand here i come
1. Use the 01 prime at f1.9 and shoot closer than you normally might. Use the ND filter if the shutter speed is too high and you get overexposure. Just remember to turn it off when you go inside a building! You can also try the Bokeh Control setting on the dial; a setting of 1 sometimes looks good.
2. I would recommend RAW+; the only downsides are more storage space (memory cards are cheap, though) and slightly longer file write times. RAW can be processed in camera after the fact; so if you get WB wrong, or want to change the look of the photo, you can do so in camera (even on vacation!). If you want to shoot a HDR, you will have to switch from RAW+ to JPG, but this is very easy by pressing the INFO menu.
3. IMO just by the Pentax battery. In any case, if you don't typically shoot more than 150 photos a day (my wife doesn't with her Q), you may not need it. I, on the other hand, need a handful of batteries, haha!