Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Need help with firm ware update

Trying to update my wife's Q to 1.1 As always, formated a card, download the file, file shows that it is on the card, Insert card into camera, get to the version screen but it wont switch to update mode. I have updated FW on this camera before without any problems, so what am I doing wrong?

10-30-2012, 03:53 PM   #2

Heinrich,
I also experienced some 'gliches' in updating my Q. I eventually connected my camera with the formatted card directly to the computer, transferred the download from
my desktop to the drive labelled 'Pentax Q'. Just left click on the dowload icon on your desktop, the dropdowwn menu has a 'send to' option, right click 'Pentax Q'. That
should do the trick. Good luck.

Flinty
10-30-2012, 04:03 PM   #3
Forum Member

The file is a self extracting zip file. Double click on it in windows, and the bin file that you need will be extracted.
10-30-2012, 04:18 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blythman Quote
The file is a self extracting zip file. Double click on it in windows, and the bin file that you need will be extracted.
That's what I thought because all the K-series cameras work that way. This file comes extracted as an .exe file and the instructions from pentax confirm this except that I can't seem to make it work. The card is formated and no other files are on the card. BTW, I tried formating both ways, in camera and on computer, no difference.

10-30-2012, 04:30 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello Heinrich, just to be sure what you said....You DID execute the .exe on your computer to get a .bin file for the sd card? card should be formatted in camera.
10-30-2012, 04:33 PM   #6
Forum Member

I initially put the exe file on my sd card. Couldn't access the update screen on the Q. So, I put the sd card back in the computer, double clicked the exe. It extracted the bin file to the card. Put the card back in the Q and it was good to go.
10-30-2012, 04:33 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Hello Heinrich, just to be sure what you said....You DID execute the .exe on your computer to get a .bin file for the sd card? card should be formatted in camera.
FYI, if he's using a Mac there is no way to execute an .exe!
10-30-2012, 04:57 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Did now and all is good The instructions on the Pentax site are terrible, should have just done what I always did with with any K-series camera. Thanks Lee

10-30-2012, 05:00 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Flinty Quote
Heinrich,
I also experienced some 'gliches' in updating my Q. I eventually connected my camera with the formatted card directly to the computer, transferred the download from
my desktop to the drive labelled 'Pentax Q'. Just left click on the dowload icon on your desktop, the dropdowwn menu has a 'send to' option, right click 'Pentax Q'. That
should do the trick. Good luck.

Flinty
QuoteOriginally posted by Blythman Quote
I initially put the exe file on my sd card. Couldn't access the update screen on the Q. So, I put the sd card back in the computer, double clicked the exe. It extracted the bin file to the card. Put the card back in the Q and it was good to go.
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
FYI, if he's using a Mac there is no way to execute an .exe!
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Did now and all is good The instructions on the Pentax site are terrible, should have just done what I always did with with any K-series camera. Thanks Lee
Thank you one and all, That's onr thing on this forum, help is only a keystroke away.

Take care