Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2012, 09:31 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
That looks downright evil I need to get a hood loupe myself - finally an application for these golf tees I have laying around

Hi Larry,

Those are actually something like a double-headed golf tee -- they are "heads" that come with the super heavy duty rubber bands (I think they were cut from motorcycle inner tubes or something like them) that I bought from The Container Store. I always make it a point to browse their "gadgets" displays near the checkout counter when I'm in the neighborhood. I never know when I'll find something that I can use to jury-rig photo gear with -- I also have found some very useful items at auto parts stores at the check out counters and outdoor "outfitter" type stores -- I used to be known as the "photographer MacGyver guy" at a local REI store before they closed that location because I was always looking for stuff that I wanted for my photo gear that was totally NOT what it was originally designed for. .

Scott

11-04-2012, 09:48 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
I used to be known as the "photographer MacGyver guy"
Haha that's funny
11-05-2012, 02:53 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great setup snostorm. You are really gettng results with it. You have convinced me to leave the DA*300 at home for awhile and try the DA55-300. It is much more portable and could be much easir to use handheld. The SR and FP could make it possible.
as always good job and thanks
barondla
11-06-2012, 06:45 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Well Scott you hooked me, just ordered a black Q from Amazon for $307 w/prime f1.9 and 2 adapters, Q2-42mm and Q2K with aperture ring. I too like to MacGyver stuff together. This is going to be fun. What are you using for sharpening your raw files. Currently I am just using Elements Unsharp mask.

Hans

11-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
Well Scott you hooked me, just ordered a black Q from Amazon for $307 w/prime f1.9 and 2 adapters, Q2-42mm and Q2K with aperture ring. I too like to MacGyver stuff together. This is going to be fun. What are you using for sharpening your raw files. Currently I am just using Elements Unsharp mask.
Hi Hans,

Congrats! That's a great price. I think you're going to have some fun.

As far as sharpening goes . . . first of all, I usually shoot jpegs, both with my DSLRs and the Q. I use the edge in shooting speed much more often than need the extra resolution or processing headroom from RAW. I'll use RAW, but usually use the "save in RAW" option on review or set the camera to RAW+ for challenging exposure shots -- and these are pretty rare for me. It's just my preference. . .and I've gone through the consideration of RAW/JPEG many many times in the past 10 years.

I use Topaz InFocus. For me, it's about the ideal solution. With the Q, I use this along with Topaz DeNoise as the Q jpegs have some noise, even at ISO 125, and the sharpening accentuates this. I like clean backgrounds, so I apply some NR first, then sharpen. . . I set up my cameras with minimal high ISO NR and sharpness at -3 or -4. This gives me close to a default RAW image to start with (yeah, I know it's not the same), and I PP virtually every shot.

My main output is for display on my 7" and 10" Samsung Galaxy Tablets, prints up to 8x10 and only very occasionally larger, and occasional posting on the web.

All that being said, I've found that Topaz InFocus is about the best sharpening plugin of all that I've tried. I used Focus Magic for quite a few years, but InFocus works much better for me, allowing me more control with fewer artifacts. Both of these use deconvolution algorithms instead of local contrast enhancement. They actually move pixels instead of just adding contrast to edges. I like InFocus better because I can use only deconvolution, and with Focus Magic (at least to the latest version that I tried) used a combination of these, and I couldn't control it as closely. The Topaz plugins are slow (I'm using a 4YO 24GHz Dual Core AMD with 6GB of memory, and probably should upgrade my mainboard and processor, but it still works. . .and I have a lot of time on my hands . . .). With InFocus, I can sharpen images quite significantly without introducing a lot of obvious artifacts by using deconvolution and micro contrast + supress artifacts only. When it first came out, a lot of people tried it, and most seemed to not be able to get a handle on it. For some reason, I got it right away, and haven't looked back.

I do, however use Focus Magic's motion blur tool more than the one in InFocus as I find it more intuitive, though it's still pretty difficult to understand.

Scott
11-06-2012, 09:12 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Good info snostorm. Sharpening is a must with the Q. I need to check these programs out over the winter.
If shooting fast, you might check out a Q10 someday. I was able to shhot 30+ frames on the low speed setting using jpeg. It never slowed down. Managed 5-6 on the Q.
thanks
barondla
11-07-2012, 10:53 AM   #22

thanks for sharing...........impressive..