Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2012, 09:05 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Doc - don't forget to update your firmware so you get the new added features - focus peaking and image stabilization:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/203213-focus-peaking-q-firmware-1-1-a.html

And....I can't believe the deal you guys got on Amazon - had I caught that in time I would also have a Q on the way.......

11-06-2012, 09:10 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Doc - don't forget to update your firmware so you get the new added features - focus peaking and image stabilization:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/203213-focus-peaking-q-firmware-1-1-a.html

And....I can't believe the deal you guys got on Amazon - had I caught that in time I would also have a Q on the way.......
I'm playing with the v1.0 firmware and will probably download both the v1.01 and the v1.1. I understand that the v1.01 is sharper with less smoothing but the v1.1 has all the added features like focus peaking. I'll see if I can give each a try. Someone, can't recall who, seems to have posted that you can go backward if you want from v1.1 to v1.01.

The price at Amazon seems to have bounced around because they sold out of all their kits and the only ones left are from 3rd party sellers. Perhaps they'll get a few more in, I'd monitor it if you really want one at the $307 price. Good luck.
11-06-2012, 09:29 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Firmware 1.10 only affects jpeg shooting. Raw gives you the sharpness, SR, and focus peaking.
thanks
barondla
11-06-2012, 10:17 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Congratz! I just wish that I didn't go with an original spare battery as the third party one I got with the camera wasn't that cheap and only half the capacity, it shows when shooting.

11-06-2012, 11:42 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Any instructions on going about painting the interior without worries of flaking paint?
If your adapter is ribbed you are probably OK. You can test it to see if you are getting any light bouncing around as it will show up as ghosting or a smokiness around bright objects.

My Fotodiox is smooth inside, and when I first got it it had the same semigloss paint inside as outside, so with a Sigma 70-200 it would make images appear smoky.

If you do need to paint it, I recommend using a good quality flat black spray such as Rustoleum or Krylon, skip the cheap generic brand.

Using blue painter's tape I masked off the exterior, mount, and internal aperture lever so only the metal I wanted to paint was exposed.

I then wiped down the inside to remove any loose dust and sprayed using a couple of light coats, letting it dry in between. Good quality paint should not flake.
11-07-2012, 04:23 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
If your adapter is ribbed you are probably OK. You can test it to see if you are getting any light bouncing around as it will show up as ghosting or a smokiness around bright objects.

My Fotodiox is smooth inside, and when I first got it it had the same semigloss paint inside as outside, so with a Sigma 70-200 it would make images appear smoky.

If you do need to paint it, I recommend using a good quality flat black spray such as Rustoleum or Krylon, skip the cheap generic brand.

Using blue painter's tape I masked off the exterior, mount, and internal aperture lever so only the metal I wanted to paint was exposed.

I then wiped down the inside to remove any loose dust and sprayed using a couple of light coats, letting it dry in between. Good quality paint should not flake.
Thanks, I didn't realize Fotodiox made an adapter with an aperture lever. I may paint it even though it's ribbed.
11-07-2012, 07:36 AM   #22
Site Supporter

You could also glue felt on the inside to kill reflections. Felt probably is even "darker" than paint. I may try that one day.
thanks
barondla
11-07-2012, 08:14 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I can't believe the deal you guys got on Amazon - had I caught that in time I would also have a Q on the way.......
Amazon still has them with the f1.9 prime for 307 just checked Amazon.com: Pentax Q 12.4 MP CMOS Sensor Kit with 8.5mm 1.9 AL [IF] Prime Lens(Black): Camera & Photo

Hans

11-07-2012, 08:19 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Thanks, I didn't realize Fotodiox made an adapter with an aperture lever.

Amazon.com: Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter w/ Aperture Dial, Pentax K/PK Lens to Pentax Q-Series Camera, fits Pentax Q Mirrorless Cameras: Camera & Photo
11-07-2012, 09:20 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
The type is Li - 68 but it goes by other codes also, it is pretty common so you should be able to get a deal. I think I ordered this pack
2 Battery Charger for Pentax D LI68 D BC68 Optio A36 S10 S12 Q D LI122 VS20 | eBay
nice deal, thanks!
11-07-2012, 06:38 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Still playing with it but tried my 85/1.4 on it with the adapter. I am afraid that I am going to have to either paint this one or buy a new one. Anyway, here is a DoF attempt with the Q
11-07-2012, 07:30 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Still playing with it but tried my 85/1.4 on it with the adapter. I am afraid that I am going to have to either paint this one or buy a new one. Anyway, here is a DoF attempt with the Q
I see quite pronounced banding in your image - is that what you are talking about? Hopefully Larry (crewl1) will chime in as he painted the inside of his TC but I don't remember seeing his problem pics before the paint job.

Other than that, how are you liking the Q? I missed out on the Amazon deal again that was linked to this morning by Hans - must have sold out quickly.
11-07-2012, 08:15 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I see quite pronounced banding in your image - is that what you are talking about?
The issues I was having with my adapter were with a Sigma 70-200 2.8 and what I was seeing was a smokyness to the image when the lens was used outdoors in daylight.
Looks kind of like the section above around the words "Digital Camera"
I really didn't test for anything else.

The banding above does not look familiar.
11-07-2012, 08:47 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The more I look at the pictures, and I may be way off here, the more the banding looks like an artifact of the ribbing inside the adapter.
11-07-2012, 08:53 PM   #30
Site Supporter

In a nutshell: which adapter will NOT show such problems as described in the previous posts?

JP