Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-08-2012, 09:47 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Understandable. I've pretty much been able to stay away from any other cams, keeping pretty busy with the K-5, but had considered the Q for a while and when the prices started getting attractive it was an easy choice.

Not sure I would be here if I had invested in others myself, as time for shooting is pretty hard to find as it is. Gotta tell you though, I am *really* having fun with this Q, specially on the back end of the K mount Teles.

I had tried other ways of stretching the mm's on the cheap (fairly) and none made me happy. Was thinking I was going to have to splurge for a Sigma 500 4.5, but with the Q and my 300 and 70-200 I really am not interested in doing that anymore. For my type of long shooting, anyway, I think I am good for now.

If my situation changes or someday if I retire and have all the time in the world to shoot wildlife, I would rethink things.
Q with the 500/4.5 would be a great look.

11-08-2012, 09:50 PM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are some Q/prime/zoom 2 lens kits running around at great prices. Cheapest way to get both lenses. Both lenses are nice.

Fuji are nice but Q is capable of so much more. The swiss army knife of small cameras.
thanks
barondla
11-08-2012, 09:55 PM - 1 Like   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
You are a bad person No honestly 1650mm is about the longest I can deal with, ATM. Not into planet watching yet

I am very interested in seeing the DA*200 + Q images, if those are good I would consider getting one of those next.

A super clean 1000mm with IQ like the DA*300 does at 1650mm would be awesome
11-08-2012, 10:11 PM   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Look here it is. (Not my video)

11-08-2012, 11:30 PM   #80
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's like living on the moon. Looking forward to a shot of the dark side of the moon.
11-09-2012, 07:54 AM   #81
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Sorry to stomp on your thread here Doc, but you guys have me near the edge now......with a question.

I am finding the availability now to be pretty much $347 for the kit with either the 01 prime (8.5mm f1.9) or the 02 zoom (5-15mm f2.8-4.5). Now I am normally a zoom guy, and first reflex is to go with the 02 zoom, but with this small sensor camera, I don't know how much of a beating the images would take with the much slower zoom lens. I am continuing my search here for images and feedback on the 02 zoom. I will of course be using it with some of my long K-mount glass, but I still would want to use it at times as a pocket camera.

Being the kits are the same price it almost seems the 02 zoom kit might be the better overall deal?
Stan,

Typically I would agree about the zoom vs prime because the zoom is pretty expensive when purchased alone, but the 01 Standard Prime is ONLY available when purchased with a Q. So, if you want the 8.5/1.9 then you have to either get someone to break up a kit or buy that kit. I got it and am very happy with the lens.

BTW, I tried the Q with my 1250mm telescore = 6875mm. All I can say is I need a better tripod
11-09-2012, 07:54 AM   #82

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
You need to hit the OK button to flip on the 4x with an adapted lens.

As far as peaking, if you are not seeing the little snow all over the screen then it is not enabled. Try it on some contrasty objects first such as a candlestick on a dark table, or a dark bottle on a light table. Move the ring slowly and note the edge of the object where it brightens as you pass through the focus point. Works a treat once you get used to it.

On this shot, the dull reflection you see inside is what caused problems on some of my lenses and required painting the inside with flat black spray.
Thanks for the help. I could have sworn that I pushed every button, but apparently I didn't!
Yeah, I think it takes practice and patience to use peaking to nail the focus. It will probably become second nature after lots of practice and trial and error.
Thanks for the input on the paint also. I'll keep a look out for that issue. I look forward to playing around with some adapted lenses this weekend.

11-09-2012, 07:58 AM   #83
Pentaxian

I've only been playing with the 01 prime for a few days now but I love it and I'm glad that I went with that kit instead. Of course I'm more of a prime lens kind of guy because I like shooting in low light and prefer smaller lenses. Just my 2 cents.
11-09-2012, 08:00 AM   #84
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
I've only been playing with the 01 prime for a few days now but I love it and I'm glad that I went with that kit instead. Of course I'm more of a prime lens kind of guy because I like shooting in low light and prefer smaller lenses. Just my 2 cents.
Both its size, it is 1/2 the size of the zoom, and its f1.9 are great features
11-09-2012, 08:10 AM   #85

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
This:

After all these threads showing DA*300/4's with Qs hanging off the back, you win the prize for "most comically small adapted lens on the Q"

As far as the questions - I'm still waiting for my Q to arrive (mainly thanks to this forum, these threads, and the focus peaking!).
Yeah, I'm not trying to compensate for anything! Haha! Seriously though, I would certainly pair the Q with the DA*300 if I had one. The 300 is on my wish list.
I looked at the 40XS and wondered what it would look like, and it really is not that bad mounted on the Q. The weight is low, and I can even hold it with one hand and focus with my pinkie finger. I also have a little table top tripod that works well with it. I could see taking this setup with me as a backup to my K-5, but I will want more reach, so just testing with the 40 for the moment.
11-09-2012, 08:33 AM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Stan,

Typically I would agree about the zoom vs prime because the zoom is pretty expensive when purchased alone, but the 01 Standard Prime is ONLY available when purchased with a Q. So, if you want the 8.5/1.9 then you have to either get someone to break up a kit or buy that kit. I got it and am very happy with the lens.

BTW, I tried the Q with my 1250mm telescore = 6875mm. All I can say is I need a better tripod
Thanks for the input Doc - sound advise!

6875mm - I think you would need more than a better tripod - perhaps stopping the earth's rotation for a couple seconds while you shoot........
11-09-2012, 09:54 AM   #87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I *just* got my Q.
WTF?!?!
This camera is OFF-THE-CHARTS cute!!!!
I had no idea!!!!
The camera is so tiny, but the build quality is exceptional!
I am floored at how much I LOVE this little camera.
I was not expecting this.
It's sooooooo adorable!!!

11-09-2012, 10:02 AM   #88
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
It's sooooooo adorable!!!
Aaaand another one bites the dust
11-09-2012, 10:15 AM   #89
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just got the Q ... me too !

This thing is so small! When I opened the box, I was wondering if they had forgotten to put the camera itself in there.
I knew it was going to be small but only when I held it in my hands did I realize that this is one very "compact" camera.

So, the battery is charging right now ... waiting to get it going probably tomorrrow morning when the light is sufficient.

I don't know if this is the right thread for a few questions ... I don't want to steal Docrwm's thread.
If it is inappropriate, please let me know and I will remove/edit this post.

Questions:

1. Shooting JPEG first, to get used to the Q ?
2. Any sense in installing the software (CD) that came with it ? I have CS5 and Faststone Image Viewer already on my computer.
3. What would be the optimal SD card to use ?
4. Any specific settings which would render the learning phase easier ?
5. Any sense in updating the firmware yet ? Seems that the firmware updating is not done the same way as I usually do with my K7, K5 ... frankly, I haven't had the time to check that yet.

Cheers!

JP
11-09-2012, 10:20 AM   #90
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Just got the Q ... me too !

This thing is so small! When I opened the box, I was wondering if they had forgotten to put the camera itself in there.
I knew it was going to be small but only when I held it in my hands did I realize that this is one very "compact" camera.

So, the battery is charging right now ... waiting to get it going probably tomorrrow morning when the light is sufficient.

I don't know if this is the right thread for a few questions ... I don't want to steal Docrwm's thread.
If it is inappropriate, please let me know and I will remove/edit this post.

Questions:

1. Shooting JPEG first, to get used to the Q ?
2. Any sense in installing the software (CD) that came with it ? I have CS5 and Faststone Image Viewer already on my computer.
3. What would be the optimal SD card to use ?
4. Any specific settings which would render the learning phase easier ?
5. Any sense in updating the firmware yet ? Seems that the firmware updating is not done the same way as I usually do with my K7, K5 ... frankly, I haven't had the time to check that yet.

Cheers!

JP
LOL.."Me too".
Add another question - Where is the lens hood for the standard zoom?
Is that something I have to buy?
Does it come with the "retail" version of this lens as opposed to the "kit"?