Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2012, 06:19 PM   #106
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I took my brand-new Q out for a test run tonight.

Not a bad little camera!

It takes some getting used to, but I think the Q definitely has a place in my day-to-day kit.

Yes - it *is* fun to shoot with.

11-09-2012, 06:54 PM - 1 Like   #107
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote

Not a bad little camera!

It takes some getting used to, but I think the Q definitely has a place in my day-to-day kit.

Yes - it *is* fun to shoot with.

Great shot Lauren!
I still have to take some long exposures shots with it, I may try this weekend
11-09-2012, 07:26 PM - 1 Like   #108
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to Q ownership and the forum, LaurenOE. Love the night image. Waiting to see the Q mounted on your cycle. Serious action film footage should result. Enjoy the Q.
thanks
barondla
11-09-2012, 10:08 PM   #109
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Took my daughter and my Q to the observatory tonight for a bit of stargazing. Jupiter was particularly clear tonight. Got to see all 4 Galilean moons.

Attached Images

11-09-2012, 10:10 PM   #110
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Took my daughter and my Q to the observatory tonight for a bit of stargazing. Jupiter was particularly clear tonight. Got to see all 4 Galilean moons.
Wow! I have never used an observatory, just been in a bad one. Why not mount your Q with an adapter?
11-09-2012, 10:16 PM   #111
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Wow! I have never used an observatory, just been in a bad one. Why not mount your Q with an adapter?
Because they use Nikon cameras and only have Nikon mount adapters. It's fun. We're members at the children's regional museum and go to a lot of workshops. Last week it was Geology for my son, tonight was astronomy and learning how to use the Smithsonian's two remote telescopes to take images of objects that we choose with the setting we want. They email the images to you the next day. Kinda fun. As part of it tonight we got to spend an hour in the observatory with about a dozen others. Lots of time on the scope that way for each of us.
11-09-2012, 10:22 PM   #112
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Because they use Nikon cameras and only have Nikon mount adapters. It's fun. We're members at the children's regional museum and go to a lot of workshops. Last week it was Geology for my son, tonight was astronomy and learning how to use the Smithsonian's two remote telescopes to take images of objects that we choose with the setting we want. They email the images to you the next day. Kinda fun. As part of it tonight we got to spend an hour in the observatory with about a dozen others. Lots of time on the scope that way for each of us.
Aha, but a Nikon to Q adapter would solve, wouldn't it?
11-09-2012, 10:35 PM   #113
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Aha, but a Nikon to Q adapter would solve, wouldn't it?
Is there such a beast? If so, yes, I guess it would solve the problem. Lets see, what would the math work out to be? It's a 20in reflecting telescope, so is that what as a lens? No wait, that's the light gathering ability. Hmm, what would it be like to attach the Q to a 20in reflector telescope?

11-10-2012, 05:30 AM   #114

"Is there such a beast?"

Yes, they cost about $22 on ebay.

Shawn
11-10-2012, 06:30 AM   #115
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Shawn67 Quote
"Is there such a beast?"

Yes, they cost about $22 on ebay.

Shawn
Thanks. The Q is truly the most versatile Pentax camera available.
11-10-2012, 06:47 AM   #116
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I like the shot Lauren, nice job. I use my Can** S100 as a always carry camera, Seeing you shot makes me wonder how my new Q will fit into my routine, assuming I ever get it. Amazon projected yesterday but FedX subcontracted with the US postal service and it didn't show up yet. My adapters Q2-42mm, Q2K, spare batteries did. Me and old lenses are here waiting. The thing I like about P&S's is the what you see is what you get type of photography, with my DSLR's that is a few steps away. The Q looks like that and more. I wasn't planing to use the Q as a carry camera but might be rethinking.

Hans

Last edited by hnikesch; 11-10-2012 at 06:54 AM.
11-10-2012, 07:37 AM   #117
Inactive Account

I also got my Q. My first surprise is that I actually like the color it produces.

I have a quick question: when shooting in Manual exposure mode the screen doesn't change with the changes in aperture and shutter speed. Even the histogram doesn't change, it doesn't show what will be taken. I've looked at the manual and I can't see where I can change this behavior..
11-10-2012, 09:18 AM   #118
Veteran Member

Check that you are not in Auto ISO. If you are, it is compensating for your shutter and aperture settings, basically a TAV mode. You must set ISO to a manual setting.

I look at the exposure offset scale to get an idea,of the resulting picture, as the display will continue to show wide open image for composition and focusing.
11-10-2012, 12:28 PM   #119

You guys are enablers! I've been lurking in the Q forum for a month and I decided to go to fry's today just to "look" and ended up buying the q for $303 total (it was open box). I love it! Fits my hands perfectly and just in time for disneyland on mon (as long as the wind lets up)
11-10-2012, 02:56 PM   #120
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grillo Quote
I have a quick question: when shooting in Manual exposure mode the screen doesn't change with the changes in aperture and shutter speed. Even the histogram doesn't change, it doesn't show what will be taken. I've looked at the manual and I can't see where I can change this behavior..
I have the same problem. I hoped that setting the green button to DOF preview would let at least show actual exposure when that was used, but no. (And I can't spare the button anyway.)

I think it's just one of those completely unnecesary firmware annoyances all cameras have for no obvious reason. (Not as annoying as seeming to have four user modes and then not letting me change a single setting I care about in them though!)