Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-10-2012, 03:44 PM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by grillo Quote
I have a quick question: when shooting in Manual exposure mode the screen doesn't change with the changes in aperture and shutter speed. Even the histogram doesn't change, it doesn't show what will be taken. I've looked at the manual and I can't see where I can change this behavior..
Yea I just got mine and you are correct but if you shot in any auto mode AV, TV or P mode the Exposure comp. button will allow you the over or under expose and the screen shows you the correct brightness of the image while you are making the change and it shows you the shutter speed, ISO and aperture so why use manual.

Hans

11-10-2012, 03:55 PM   #122
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Tried out the Q on a trip to the Zoo today. Straight out of the Q, only downsized for display here to 25% of the original.
Attached Images

11-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #123
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Tried out the Q on a trip to the Zoo today. Straight out of the Q, only downsized for display here to 25% of the original.
Nice!

11-10-2012, 05:00 PM   #124
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I took the Q Mt. Biking today.

The image below is the B&W filter straight from the camera. A little crop and resize is all I did.

My Cannondale in the woods.

The early afternoon sun and the trail I bike on.

11-10-2012, 05:05 PM   #125
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
Yea I just got mine and you are correct but if you shot in any auto mode AV, TV or P mode the Exposure comp. button will allow you the over or under expose and the screen shows you the correct brightness of the image while you are making the change and it shows you the shutter speed, ISO and aperture so why use manual.

Hans
Ah! I didn't notice that, I went straight into manual mode. Thanks!

PS: Manual mode has the advantage when you want to shoot with specific settings. With Av or Tv modes if the light changes the settings change.
11-10-2012, 05:09 PM   #126
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I look at the exposure offset scale to get an idea,of the resulting picture, as the display will continue to show wide open image for composition and focusing.
Thanks. I guess that makes sense. So in M mode the LCD should be used like an optical viewfinder, for composition and focusing only.
11-12-2012, 10:04 AM   #127
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ugh...well...err...afte a weekend of using the Q - which I LOVE - I wanted to pick up the 01 Prime, another battery and another charger. So I searched the web/BH/Adorama.

It turns out that...

01 Prime = Around $255 if you can find one.
Spare battery = $25 -25
Charger = $40

So for about $320 I could buy the items separately OR for another few dollars just get a Q kit with the 01 prime.

So now I will have a white Q and a black one.

11-12-2012, 10:20 AM   #128
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There you go .
Actually if you settle for aftermarket I picked up two batteries and a charger for $9 2 Battery Charger for Pentax D LI68 D BC68 Optio A36 S10 S12 Q D LI122 VS20 | eBay

The 01 Prime is another story, much harder to get.
11-12-2012, 10:37 AM   #129
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
There you go .
Actually if you settle for aftermarket I picked up two batteries and a charger for $9 2 Battery Charger for Pentax D LI68 D BC68 Optio A36 S10 S12 Q D LI122 VS20 | eBay

The 01 Prime is another story, much harder to get.
When it comes to after market batteries and chargers, it's been hit-or-miss for me.
My K10D has after market batteries mixed with OEM with no problem.
My Optio WRs seem to freak with after market batteries. I had one get way hot and one that just stopped charging.
My K5s only have OEM batteries.

I like to go OEM as much as I can...it's the Pentaxian/Obsessive part of me.

If Pentax ever realizes how loyal I am, they will probably ask for "direct-deposit" from my paychecks as to make things easier to buy from them.
11-12-2012, 11:59 AM   #130
JHD
Veteran Member

I picked up two chargers with 5 extra batteries for $20. Don't get quite as many shots/charge from the aftermarket batteries, but cost to performance wise, there is no comparison.
11-12-2012, 12:01 PM   #131
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Ugh...well...err...afte a weekend of using the Q - which I LOVE - I wanted to pick up the 01 Prime, another battery and another charger. So I searched the web/BH/Adorama.

It turns out that...

01 Prime = Around $255 if you can find one.
Spare battery = $25 -25
Charger = $40

So for about $320 I could buy the items separately OR for another few dollars just get a Q kit with the 01 prime.

So now I will have a white Q and a black one.

Lauren,

I bought the Wasabi charger + 2 batteries and car converter for the charger for $19 shipped form Amazon. I've never had any trouble with Wasabi batteries in the past (K-r and K-5) and hope that these continue that trend. Amazon.com: Wasabi Power Battery and Charger Kit for Pentax D-LI68, D-LI122 and Pentax Q, Q10, Optio A36, Optio S10, Optio S12, Optio VS20: Camera & Photo
11-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #132
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok, so it appears that I am "out voted" for the charger/batteries. What about the $255 for the prime lens? I bought the zoom kit. So I would be spending $299 if I had went the prime route as I would have wanted the "other" lens.

Admit it folks. There is a crazy logic in buying a SECOND Q.

11-12-2012, 12:56 PM   #133
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
I picked up two chargers with 5 extra batteries for $20. Don't get quite as many shots/charge from the aftermarket batteries, but cost to performance wise, there is no comparison.
I payed more than that for one extra third party battery at half the OEM capacity with my Q, bad bad choice.
11-12-2012, 01:19 PM   #134
Veteran Member

All the enthusiasm in this thread is really rubbing off on me. I am so close to pulling the trigger, but have my goal of getting a $299 shipped deal. All I can find is the zoom kit for that price - all the prime kits are $347. Since I would rather have the prime kit if I do this, I will have to keep checking my regular vendors for a price drop. Maybe Black Friday will be it?
11-12-2012, 01:22 PM   #135
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
All the enthusiasm in this thread is really rubbing off on me. I am so close to pulling the trigger, but have my goal of getting a $299 shipped deal. All I can find is the zoom kit for that price - all the prime kits are $347. Since I would rather have the prime kit if I do this, I will have to keep checking my regular vendors for a price drop. Maybe Black Friday will be it?
Got mine for $285 on eBay with the Prime brand new and that was a few days before the price drop. Just shelled out $450 for the K-01 so I wasn't looking to spend more than $300. So glad I bit the bullet at the price point I was comfortable with because the Q is the most fun I've ever had with a camera.

At first I was all hyped for the Canon EOS M which I had been saving up $800 the last few months in order to get but after all the delays here in the US and the negative reviews (poor autofocus) I decided to look into some of the other mirrorless cameras from other brands. I ended up falling in love with K-01 just when the price dropped and I just couldn't turn it down especially since it was a K Mount that quite literally opened up a whole world of compatible lenses for me to try out. I was also looking into getting a really small high end point and shoot walk around camera with the spare money I had left over and the EX2F, LX7, S110/G15, and XZ-1 were all contenders. From all estimations I think I made the right choice with the Q as it satisfies my criteria for a walk around camera and is quite capable in most situations.

Last edited by LeRolls; 11-12-2012 at 01:37 PM.